Windows 10: How to stop 1709 from installing through updates

Discus and support How to stop 1709 from installing through updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had to revert back to 1703 as 1709 caused problem & poor performance on on of my PC's When windows update runs it attempts to reinstall 1709 & how do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DrSysop, Nov 16, 2017.

1. DrSysop Win User

How to stop 1709 from installing through updates

I had to revert back to 1703 as 1709 caused problem & poor performance on on of my PC's When windows update runs it attempts to reinstall 1709 & how do you stop & hide it as I not see defer updates option on 1703.

Thanks

:)

DrSysop, Nov 16, 2017
  2. Jabrwock Win User

Windows 10 1709 update keeps reinstalling igdkmd64.sys and then kernel panics when it loads it

Bootcamp/Mac. Running Windows 10 1607.

I have followed every guide I can find online to disable, uninstall, block, etc the Intel on-board graphics driver (I even delete igdkmd64.sys from /Windows/system32/drivers). I have deleted the Windows Update cache, and have stopped the automatic update
    daemon from running.

I'm running 1709 update from USB, with no ethernet/wifi/other USB devices. Anti-virus and all Windows protections have been disabled.

But then the 1709 update installs and activates the driver about 30% of the way through the upgrade process, and then kernel panics when it tries to use it.

How do I stop the 1709 update from installing the driver that causes the problem that stops me from updating to 1709 in the first place?

Jabrwock, Nov 16, 2017
  3. How to stop this Windows 1709 from installing

You are welcome, please keep us updated.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 16, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

The computer that you are using is HP and provided you can download and install some HP software you can block windows upgrades.
    There is no on/off switch.
    Windows will attempt the upgrade which involves reboots and will fail.
    So software that is open, work in progress, etc. can be lost.
    It is trading one problem for another but it does block the upgrade.
    While Windows attempts the upgrade the computer is unusable.
    So aside from the unknown times in which Windows will attempt an upgrade its workable.
    As long as you get to schedule the upgrade it would have the least interference.
    The question is does you HP computer accept the HP software?
    And knowing the pro and con would you trade one problem for the other?
    If you are interested let us know.

zbook, Nov 16, 2017
  5. DrSysop Win User
    This HP using a clean Windows install 1607 originally from DVD & upgraded to 1703. I not want 1709 I not have any stock HP software in this as its bloatware.

DrSysop, Nov 16, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    No. This is top of the line HP software.
    It is the unintended side effect that it blocks Windows upgrades.
    HP was notified in March when I had my first failed upgrade.
    They later came out with a fix to allow Windows upgrades.
    So there are many that complain that they cannot upgrade and want to. It takes a lot of time to troubleshoot the failures. Once the failures are troubleshooted you then know what blocks Windows upgrades. So its trading one problem for another problems.

Is this the HP URL for your computer?
    HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support
    HP does not support Windows 10 on your computer?
    Or is there a better URL for the computer?

1) Post an image of disk management into the thread
    2) Download and install Minitool partition wizard and post an image into the thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard | Best partition magic alternative for Windows PC and Server

zbook, Nov 16, 2017
  7. Use wushowhide tool to block 1709/FCU:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ling-in-window

muchomurka, Nov 16, 2017
  8. DrSysop Win User

Actually its my other PC this one is fine its a Gateway running windows 10 clean not upgraded So there is no way from hiding that 1709 update? Guess i have to go back to windows 7 till they stop making us download these beta releases.

DrSysop, Nov 16, 2017
  9. DrSysop Win User
    DrSysop, Nov 16, 2017
  10. The wushowhide tool can be used to block installation of drivers, monthly updates, office updates... and even OS upgrades. Simply download it from above linked page and try it.

muchomurka, Nov 16, 2017
  11. DrSysop Win User
    which one i have 1703 & none there i see for 1607 & below

DrSysop, Nov 16, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    Currently there are 2 computers, 1 with each 1607 and 1703 that cannot be upgraded to 1709 having downloaded the HP software long ago.
    It may be possible to accomplish a similar alteration in non HP computers.

zbook, Nov 16, 2017
  13. How to stop 1709 from installing through updates

Hide/block the same update as shown in the picture below, but for version 1709 (not 1607). I do not have version 1703 installed in virtual machine but I have 1511, that is why older update is offered to me.

How to stop 1709 from installing through updates [​IMG]

muchomurka, Nov 16, 2017
  14. Navigate to Settings --> Update & security --> Advanced Options.
    You can defer Windows feature updates up to 365 days this means you can stop fall creators update installation.

How to stop 1709 from installing through updates [​IMG]

FreeBooter, Nov 16, 2017
  15. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Nov 16, 2017
Thema:

1. How to stop 1709 from installing through updates - Similar Threads - stop 1709 installing

2. How to stop windows update from installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop windows update from installing driver updates: I have ASUS Vivobook 16X OLED with AMD Ryzen 7 500H and Radeon built in graphic driver. I've faced an issue with screen flickering which is caused by an outdated graphics software, and AMD recently released an update which solved the issue. Now windows updated forces me to...
  3. How to stop windows update from installing driver updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop windows update from installing driver updates: I have ASUS Vivobook 16X OLED with AMD Ryzen 7 500H and Radeon built in graphic driver. I've faced an issue with screen flickering which is caused by an outdated graphics software, and AMD recently released an update which solved the issue. Now windows updated forces me to...
  4. Stop an update from installing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop an update from installing: I have some software the is no longer supported but is needed in our work environment. When KB4569745 installs it messes up the system. It has something to do with .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.0 and when it installs it creates havoc with certain ports that the software needs to...
  5. Updating from 1709 to 1903+

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating from 1709 to 1903+: Trying to update my Laptop from 1709 to 1903. Apparently the update required does not work to no prevail. I’m normal settings, it starts to install, gets to about 90% then fails and gives an error. When I looked up the error it told me to try disabling antivirus, and to...
  6. Installation from 1709 to 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation from 1709 to 1903: My PC is 3 major updates behind. If I use Media Creation tool and install 1903 update using ISO method, any side effects to my system? Would like to seek advise if running Windows Update is preferable or jumping straight using ISO installation. 133143
  7. Unable to Install/Update Windows 10 1803 from 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Install/Update Windows 10 1803 from 1709: I am unable to install/update Windows 10 1803 from 1709. I've called MS Technical Support (and called back 3 times per their instructions) which has been a bit challenging due to language issues. I believe they downloaded an ISO file and a "reset" icon on my desktop....
  8. Updating from 1703 to 1709

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating from 1703 to 1709: I'm on 1703 with a 365 day deferral. I want to try a manual update to 1709 so I can experiment with getting comfortable with it before the 1703 October 9 eol, but the only resources I can find is for 1803. 111596
  9. How to stop bugged update from installing ?

How to stop bugged update from installing ?: That's just it. This update is bugged and gives me an awful display experience. I installed windows several times to track it down, and I finally did. Now I need a way to not install it. And uninstalling it after it gets installed is not a solution. If it starts bugging my...
  10. How to stop Windows 10 1709 upgrade?

How to stop Windows 10 1709 upgrade?: The other day, I upgraded my computer from Windows 10 1703 to 1709. It broke my display drivers, preventing me from playing Minecraft and also removing the option to put the computer to sleep. No matter what I did, one of them (the GeForce driver) would not get fixed. So I...