Windows 10: How to stop it asking me to update

Discus and support How to stop it asking me to update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I don't know what other details to give because I'm not knowledgeable about the update number (I see people saying 1709 or something?) basically after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by arisutan, Jan 24, 2018.

1. arisutan Win User

How to stop it asking me to update

I don't know what other details to give because I'm not knowledgeable about the update number (I see people saying 1709 or something?) basically after fending it off for weeks it somehow forced itself to update last night and it broke my tablet, which I rely on for my job. It's not an option for me to wait for a driver update from my tablet's manufacturer (which I have already emailed them about, twice.) I rolled back and it works again, but now windows is giving me that horrible popup every 30 minutes telling me to update. It's driving me literally nuts, is there any way to stop it? I tried a fix in another thread where you "hide" the update" but this popup persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

arisutan, Jan 24, 2018
  2. con510 Win User

How do I stop it from asking me to upgrade to Windows 10?

This really works, thanks a lot! The pop up was not the only thing bothering me, it became impossible to turn off or restart my computer without UPGRADING to windows 10. When I type the 2 commands, the first one worked and the second one says I didn't
    have that installed to begin with. Nevertheless, I am able to restart my computer without being forced to upgrade AND the pop up is gone How to stop it asking me to update :)

THANKS

con510, Jan 24, 2018
  3. How do I stop it from asking me to upgrade to Windows 10?

You should download GWX control Panel then

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 24, 2018
  4. arisutan Win User

Please help me. I got home from work and turned my pc on and it's updating itself again. now I have to wait 90 minutes for an update that I just have to force roll back again. This is seriously ridiculous and infuriating*Sad

arisutan, Jan 24, 2018
  5. Hi arisutan

While this isn't my first choice you could set your connection as metered. The large feature updates will not be downloaded. This strategy is only so good, every network you connect to has to be set.

Another strategy might be upgrade to Pro. You have greater control over updates in Pro but at some point this issue resurfaces. You would upgrade within windows so it is just the uplift charge.

One item to consider, which you likely already know, each version is only supported so long. Not getting security updates on a business machine could present different issues.

If you scroll down in this article you will see dates for each version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...cle-fact-sheet

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 24, 2018
  6. arisutan Win User
    Hi Ken. thank you for your reply, I will try that metered connection idea when the machine restarts after I roll back again. it's a desktop so I am only ever connected to one network, fortunately. I'm guessing there is no permanent solution? At least until the drivers are updated? I'm sure there are millions of users out there with hardware and software essential to their work that won't work right away with this update..it's very annoying that it allows me to roll back but instantly forces an update the same day.

I use it for my work but it's a home machine. I'll check out the link, thanks.

arisutan, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    Which version of Windows? Windows 10 Home?

I've had to roll back 1709 > 1703 three times now on my tablet due to start menu issues. Some users report that even a fresh install doesn't fix things. For the time being I have a fix but it's complicated and after the fix you would need to be responsible for determining which future updates are needed and install them manually.

Callender, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to stop it asking me to update - Similar Threads - stop asking update

2. stop asking me to upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    stop asking me to upgrade to windows 11: how do i stop windows asking me to upgrade to windows 11 my accounting software wont work with it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-asking-me-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/b0fe79e9-ffc9-4a76-b712-e40b2ee60524
  3. stop asking me to upgrade to windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    stop asking me to upgrade to windows 11: how do i stop windows asking me to upgrade to windows 11 my accounting software wont work with it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-asking-me-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/b0fe79e9-ffc9-4a76-b712-e40b2ee60524
  4. to ask how to stop Mc fee Checking For updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    to ask how to stop Mc fee Checking For updates: Dear Community Iam Using Vostro 3590 DEll iam Using mcfee Antivirus that Keeps Checking For Updates Continusly for 5 days How to stop that It Drain my Battery Very Fastly Please Say the solution Anyone Please iam Waiting For your Answers thank you YOurs Sincearly...
  5. Stop Cortana from Asking Me to Sign In

in Cortana
    Stop Cortana from Asking Me to Sign In: How do I get Cortana to stop popping up and asking me to sign in on my Windows 10 Pro desktop PC? I had to reinstall Windows 10 and this is getting really annoying have this box pop up over and over asking me to sign in. I don't even have a microphone attached to my PC. I've...
  6. how do stop windows asking me to create a pin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do stop windows asking me to create a pin: so, i reinstalled windows, now every time i turn on my pc it asks for me to create a pin, but i cant since i no longer have access to that email (i did the recovery form now and in the past but nothing yet) so any way to disable it asking me to do it? cheers submitted by...
  7. Stop windows asking for me to make a pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stop windows asking for me to make a pin: Since a recent update, windows has been making me make a pin every time my PC goes to sleep. I do not want to set a pin up a pin, the few times I need my password, I can use my password. The process from removing the pin is simple enough, as is disabling the windows hello. Is...
  8. Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stop Windows 10 Asking me to Create a Pin: I have recently re-installed Windows 10. When I installed it I was forced to create a pin. I was able to remove the pin once I'd logged on but now every time I reboot my computer Windows insists that I create a pin for it, claiming "We think you'll like it". I don't like it,...
  9. How do I stop Windows 10 from downloading updates without asking me?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I stop Windows 10 from downloading updates without asking me?: My PC downloads Window 10 & I am concerned about download space on my e. So how do I stop it, I know this can be done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-windows-10-from-downloading-updates/4c855ae3-e075-4e54-8eb2-a6fec53da50a
  10. Windows 10 recognizes me as the Administrator. How can I get it to stop asking me for...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 recognizes me as the Administrator. How can I get it to stop asking me for...: How can I get Windows 10 to stop asking me for Administrator approval? I sign into Windows as the Administrator and it recognizes me as the Administrator but whenever I want to rename, copy or move a file, it asks me for Administrator approval. I'm the sole user of this...