Windows 10: How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

Discus and support How to stop left pane folder from expanding? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is driving me nuts, the left pane items auto expand randomly to show all the drivers in Computer for example. I then collapse them again, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Snappy Phoenix, Oct 29, 2017.

1. How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

This is driving me nuts, the left pane items auto expand randomly to show all the drivers in Computer for example.

I then collapse them again, but after a while they expand again.

How can I stop them from ever expanding?

I'm not sure what's causing this as on a fresh install this doesn't happen, I have a feeling when I install qBittorrent, after a file is downloaded for example and I double click on it to show it in its downloaded folder, that's when the left pane items auto expand

:)

Snappy Phoenix, Oct 29, 2017

2. File Explorer

Hi. This may seem like a stupid question,on file explorer on your left is your quick access,your cloud drives,your pc drives and your network drives. On the right is your right is your preview pane/work pane. Each time I open a file and view it in the
    right hand side of the window,all folders and subfolders opens on the left side under the drive and while your viewing or opening folders in the right side of the window it continues to open all folders and subfolders and when you try closing it it then opens
    all folder and subfolders under in that drive. I then have to close file explorer for it to close. How do I stop this from continuing from happening.Its annoying!

ChanellePaul, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Lorne50 Win User
    Unable to drag and drop in file explorer

If I open file explorer with the 'This PC' folder list expanded in the left pane and a folder open in the right pane I can't drag and drop a file or a folder from anywhere in the right pane to any folder in the left pane.

If I open a second instance of file explorer I can drag anything from any folder to any other location going from one instance to the other - it fails only when dragging withing one instance of file explorer. I can also drag from one place to another within
    the right pane.

Is this a design feature in Windows 10 (if so it is stupid - I used this feature all the time in previous windows versions). If not how do I solve the problem ?

Lorne50, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  5. Hi Brian,

I tried all the options, none of the settings mentioned are set to auto expand folders for me, so I think this is a bug in qBittorrent because the moment I open a file/folder from within qBittorrent, it takes me to the location of that folder but in an expanded view on the left pane. I've posted this on their forums now.

Snappy Phoenix, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok. This is only happening from within qBittorrent then instead of File Explorer.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to stop left pane folder from expanding?

1. How to stop left pane folder from expanding? - Similar Threads - stop left pane

2. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  3. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  4. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Hidden folders in left pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folders in left pane: Why are my hidden folders showing in the left pane of Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-folders-in-left-pane/17a712ae-d60c-495c-93ac-256e663a53c4
  6. File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer expand selected folder in left pane: I want the left pane folder to open and show subfolders when I click on the filename, instead of having to click the little carat to the left of the folder to get this to happen. Windows 10 version 20H2. 181372
  7. Navigation pane keeps expanding folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Navigation pane keeps expanding folders: I have noticed that lately, the navigation pane has been expanding folders when opening them. That option is disabled in folder view settings. https://i.imgur.com/FcNSf9i.png https://i.imgur.com/Ext1HJd.png Noticed it on two separate computers. Its really annoying, any...
  8. Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto expand explorer LEFT pane window: Hello! Is there a way to have windows explorer auto expand the folder your in on the LEFT pane as well as the right? Thank you! Nancy 131903
  9. Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder: Like the title says, I cannot get the navigation pane to expand to the currently open folder right now on one of my machines, it stays stuck on either Desktop or Quick Access. And mainly when navigating one of the virtual folders, like "My Documents". I think I need to go...
  10. Stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree

in Windows 10 Support
    Stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree: Hi. How to stop Windows Explorer from expanding folders tree when exploring folders? I'd prefer a .reg/.cmd file. Thanks! 53760

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 file explorer stop folders expanding in left hand pane

2. microsoft window pane prevent folders from expanding