Windows 10: How to stop Local User to view the documents of Admin Account

Discus and support How to stop Local User to view the documents of Admin Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have two users in Win 10. First is My Self an Administrator and second one is a Local User. In Computer Management I stopped sharing of My Self... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sam9, Mar 17, 2016.

1. sam9 Win User

How to stop Local User to view the documents of Admin Account

I have two users in Win 10. First is My Self an Administrator and second one is a Local User. In Computer Management I stopped sharing of My Self Folder. It is showing now "not shared". In C drive user folders, I clicked My Self Folder and clicked stop sharing but even than Local User is able to view My Self Documents and Desktop etc. Please advise.

:)

2. Gepi---01 Win User

Can't see contacts on networked computer - Error 208

We currently work on a Windows domain environment, which has a folder redirection policy, that moves all documents, desktop and most of application data (only the folders we specify) to a windows 2k3 server.

We have a user with OVI Suite (latest version) and Windows 7 32 bit, and he cannot browse his contacts in OVI, it always shows "Error 208" and says something like "disconnect the phone and connect it again".

What we tried:

Running the software with a domain admin account on the same computer - Works

Reinstalling the software with the user account as local administrator and running the software with the domain admin account - Works

Running the software with the user as local administrator - Does not work

Reinstalling the software with the user account as local administrator - Does not work

The difference between the domain admin account and the user account as local admin, on a local computer, basically is that the domain admin account does not receive the folder redirection policy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gepi---01, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Home and Pro user permissions

I asked this question before and did not get good answer. Because there is no way to make guest accounts in Windows 10 home as lusrmgr.msc is not available in home version (who ever decided this, needs to be fired). In windows 10 pro I can change local non
    administrator accounts from users group to guest group, which in theory should work. But windows 10 guest account doesnt delete changes on log-off like older windows guest accounts. These are just premise for the real question.

How do I stop local non admin account users (mainly on win 10 home version but on pro also) making changes to computer settings? UAC is not the answer as even UAC on full users can can access all settings from startmenu settings (the new win 10 settings
    panel). UAC only stops some items in the old (better) control panel. My main consern is how do I stop users from signing into microsoft account and replacing the local non admin account, they can even sign in with a password so I gotta delete the microsoft
    account every time to get control of the local non admin account. Also as the guest option is not available in home version, how can I config user account that on logoff every settings turn back to default? I want to do this locally as there is no domain.

AND AGAIN DONT TELL ME UAC IS THE ANSWER WHEN ITS NOT.

Thanks.

YoudontNeedthis123, Mar 17, 2016
  4. sam9 Win User

Solved. Got solution in other forum.

5. Winuser Win User
    Are you going to share how you did this? It may help someone else.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2016
  6. sam9 Win User
    Sorry, I am late. Yes Cereberus gave me solution in my thread in software and applications. I do not know how to give link so following is his solution. You can also search in soft and apps forum

Originally Posted by cereberus
    How to stop Local User to view the documents of Admin Account [​IMG]
    This is unclear - a local user can still have admin rights. You have to change account to be a normal account as opposed to an admin account.
    If that is not the issue, change your folder permissions to only allow youself read/write access. May need to remove 'everybody' from permissions list.

Many guides how to change permissions (see 8.1 guides if you cannot find a specific 10 guide - method has not changed).

Sharing rights are for external access via the network - not for other users on same pc - they are governed by permission rights.

"

7. RolandJS Win User
    I don't get it, I can't see the solution. *Smile

RolandJS, Mar 23, 2016
  8. sam9 Win User

Pl wait I am not able to paste. I am trying. Pl see after some time.

9. sam9 Win User
    Pl see now.

Originally Posted by cereberus
    How to stop Local User to view the documents of Admin Account [​IMG]
    This is unclear - a local user can still have admin rights. You have to change account to be a normal account as opposed to an admin account.
    If that is not the issue, change your folder permissions to only allow youself read/write access. May need to remove 'everybody' from permissions list.

Many guides how to change permissions (see 8.1 guides if you cannot find a specific 10 guide - method has not changed).

Sharing rights are for external access via the network - not for other users on same pc - they are governed by permission rights.

Sam- I removed the permission to "everybody". Thanks to Cereberus.

If you know how to link someone solution to other person, pl tell me because I only copied and paste his solution.

10. RolandJS Win User
    Thanks Sam! I figured it was The System, not you *Smile

RolandJS, Mar 23, 2016
  11. sam9 Win User
    Welcome

Thema:

1. How to stop Local User to view the documents of Admin Account - Similar Threads - stop Local User

2. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  3. Childs account linked to local user admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Childs account linked to local user admin account: Hi,I use a local account in windows 11 which has administer privileges. After I had logged my child into the xbox app their email address has been associated with the local account and now all the child safe settings have been applied to the local admin account and I can't...
  4. How To: Create local users or admins remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Create local users or admins remotely: You might encounter the need to create a local user, add it to the local admins remotely. Being if the user cannot log in or the local admin is lost. For the purpose you need to use PSTools which can be downloaded from here. Once downloaded open a command prompt as...
  5. user local and admin accounts missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    user local and admin accounts missing: Since a about a week my local user account and my admin account are gone. With it, the documents, pictures and downloads directories are nearly empty, only the most recent documents are listed. Luckily I save most of my documents on other drives but I would like to find my...
  6. How to stop other user account to access my document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop other user account to access my document: I am using Window Home version, I am using my user 1 login as Administrator, user 2 is only user, how can I stop user 2 access my files? At this moment C drive is for system, D drive is for my document. Although the login is different, user 2 still can access my files...
  7. How To: Create local users or admins remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Create local users or admins remotely: You might encounter the need to create a local user, add it to the local admins remotely. Being if the user cannot log in or the local admin is lost. For the purpose you need to use PSTools which can be downloaded from here. Once downloaded open a command prompt as...
  8. How to: Add AzureAD user as local admin

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to: Add AzureAD user as local admin: After joining a computer to AzureAD you will login with a user and will be automatically added as a local admin. The trouble is when logging with other users. These users will automatically set as users to the computer. From the Computer Management Console there is no way to...
  9. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...
  10. How to stop Local account having access to Administrator documents.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to stop Local account having access to Administrator documents.: I had only one user that was having Administrator Rights without password. I made one more user and gave him Administrator rights with password. Now I made my earlier Administrator account as a Local Account. But this local account is able to view Administrator account...