Windows 10: How to stop OneDrive automatically creating new Documents folder

Discus and support How to stop OneDrive automatically creating new Documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We have upgraded two PCs and a laptop to Windows 10 and use OneDrive to synchronise certain folders between them all. It seemed to work fine under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BorderReiver, Apr 14, 2016.

1. How to stop OneDrive automatically creating new Documents folder

We have upgraded two PCs and a laptop to Windows 10 and use OneDrive to synchronise certain folders between them all. It seemed to work fine under windows 7. However, under Windows 10, OneDrive insists on creating a new Documents folder under OneDrive - both online and on the PCs. We have tried removing it from the online OneDrive site and the PCs and have set the option to save Documents to This PC only, yet OneDrive continually creates a new folder after a few days each time we delete it. Yet it does not do so for Pictures. It is also annoying as OneDrive, after creating this folder, then comes up with an error saying that it cannot synchronise it.

There is a long thread about this problem on the Microsoft website, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...0-41ebc7b0fc8e, but it would appear that whoever is answering the question does not understand the problem. I wondered whether any of the gurus on Tenforums had managed to overcome this problem.

:)

BorderReiver, Apr 14, 2016
  2. Peter_037 Win User

Help! How do I stop One Drive Sync in Windows 10?

When I choose Folders and then deselect say Documents or Pictures a warning appears that says

"If you stop syncing the "Documents" folder, it will be removed from your PC and new documents you create won't be saved to OneDrive."

This is a little scary. When it says that it will remove the Documents folder does that mean that on my local hard drive the files will be removed as well as stopping the OneDrive syncing?

I just want to turn off OneDrive.

Peter_037, Apr 14, 2016
  3. Delbrook Win User
    OneDrive paused automatically

I am using Windows 10 home and OneDrive personal, and a laptop and use WiFi for the internet.

I constantly create documents and directly save them to my laptop's OneDrive - Document folder. And the documents will automatically saved to the OneDrive Cloud storage.

Because I don't like Windows 10 Updates automatically pushed to my laptop, I set my WiFi as metered.

Now OneDrive got "paused" automatically. It is a pain to have to remember to re-sync OneDrive manually all the time.

Is there a way, in my situation, to stop OneDrive to "pause" automatically?

Thanks

Del

Delbrook, Apr 14, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

How to stop OneDrive automatically creating new Documents folder

Hello and welcome to TenForums!

The short answer is that as long as you run the desktop OneDrive App you will always have a Documents folder created on OneDrive plus a Pictures folder which may also contain screenshots, camera roll or camera imports folders. These are folders which Microsoft deem necessary and they therefore add them whether you want them or not, the camera folders are related to your use of the Photos app or the Camera app in W10.

philc43, Apr 14, 2016
  5. I suspected as much. I had just hoped that there may be a way round it.
    Thanks

BorderReiver, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to stop OneDrive automatically creating new Documents folder

1. How to stop OneDrive automatically creating new Documents folder - Similar Threads - stop OneDrive automatically

2. Create a new documents or pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a new documents or pictures folder: Hi, I accidentally deleted documents and pictures folder from C:\Users\"My User"\I guess you can not just create a folder there and you have to do something with the registry, but I'm not sure what to do?I want the documents and pictures folder back :...
  3. OneDrive creating New Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive creating New Documents folder.: Hello. I recently decided I don't want to use Onedrive on my PC anymore so I started the process of removing it. The problem I'm running into is some of my gaming folders where stored in documents/onedrive. I copied everything from the folder and deleted the folder but every...
  4. OneDrive creating New Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive creating New Documents folder.: Hello. I recently decided I don't want to use Onedrive on my PC anymore so I started the process of removing it. The problem I'm running into is some of my gaming folders where stored in documents/onedrive. I copied everything from the folder and deleted the folder but every...
  5. How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?

How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?: I have a folder named ~/Documents/Rockstar Games that I do not want to sync to OneDrive. But when I try to disable syncing of this folder in OneDrive settings, I get a message saying that Documents is being synced and I cannot stop syncing the /Rockstar Games folder. Is there...
  6. How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?: I have a folder named ~/Documents/Rockstar Games that I do not want to sync to OneDrive. But when I try to disable syncing of this folder in OneDrive settings, I get a message saying that Documents is being synced and I cannot stop syncing the /Rockstar Games folder. Is there...
  7. How do i create a new Documents folder?

How do i create a new Documents folder?: My Documents folder in my C: Disk has disappeared because it fused with my Onedrive a while ago. While removing my documents folder in my OneDrive it removed my Documents folder aswell. So here i am asking how do i create a new Documents folder and set it up?...
  8. Issue with creating a New Folder in Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issue with creating a New Folder in Documents: I cannot create a new folder in the default Document folder. I keep on getting an Item Not Found window saying could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Rodney. Verify the item's location and try again....
  9. Document folder and automatically created subfolders

Document folder and automatically created subfolders: Hi all, In my Documents folder, Windows automatically creates a Picture, Music, Videos and Downloads subfolder. I can sometimes delete these subfolders and sometimes I can't. However, whether I delete or move the subfolders, Windows will automatically recreate them in the...
  10. OneDrive Creates New Folders

OneDrive Creates New Folders: My OneDrive keeps creating new folders which contain some of my files from another folder. I've inserted a snip of what it does. Some of the files in the folder "Current Grants and Contracts" end up in folders which start with "CURRENT~1~..." I didn't create these folders....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop onedrive creating documents folder

2. prevent onedrive from creating documents folder

3. how to stop one drive from creating new versions every time i update a document

4. how to stop folders in windows 10 also creating on mobile phone,
  5. why onedrive create page automatically,
  6. stop one drive keeps creating new folder ,
  7. how to stop one drive from creating doople folders,
  8. avoid onedrive create documents folder,
  9. how to stop onedrive from creating folders,
  10. stop windows from automatically creating a folder,
  11. stop OneDrive automatically creating folders