Windows 10: How to stop PC from waking up at 3AM?

Discus and support How to stop PC from waking up at 3AM? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Re-installed Win 10 after botched update, now it wakes up at 3 am every day. Cleaned Task Scheduler from what (IMO) was not needed. Still wakes up.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by almot09, Mar 24, 2018.

1. almot09 Win User

How to stop PC from waking up at 3AM?

Re-installed Win 10 after botched update, now it wakes up at 3 am every day.

Cleaned Task Scheduler from what (IMO) was not needed. Still wakes up.

Checked Power settings, don't see anything wrong. Minimum processor power was 5%, changed to 0%. Still wakes up.

The last log - below. Bottom entry is when it woke up last time.

How to stop PC from waking up at 3AM? [​IMG]

:)

almot09, Mar 24, 2018
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 24, 2018
  3. Polly_847 Win User
    Lock screen not working on sleep

In my 'sign-in' settings, it says a sign-in is required 'when PC wakes up from sleep.' This used to work fine, for about a year, but has recently stopped working. Waking the machine up from sleep now takes me directly back to the desktop with no password
    required. Any ideas how to fix it and why it stopped working? I'm on Windows 10. Thank you in advance.

Polly_847, Mar 24, 2018
  4. How to stop PC from waking up at 3AM?

Caledon Ken, Mar 24, 2018
  5. almot09 Win User
    Lastwake didn't help because after it had waken up at 7am, it went to Sleep again 3 hours later. So Lastwake only shows this last press of Power button - when I woke it up again.

Tutorial on Wake Source, results: Unknown Wake Source.
    System is set to Hybernate when I press Power at the end of the day, - for faster booting.
    Log - below.

almot09, Mar 24, 2018
  6. Caledon Ken, Mar 25, 2018
  7. almot09 Win User
    It's not easy to catch it at 3am, there seems to be no fixed time. Yesterday woke at 7am.

About clean boot. To troubleshoot, - since I don't see programs that refused to install or didn't run properly etc - it looks like I'll have to enable Startup items one by one, every day, to see what is causing it to wake? Ouch.

PS. Today it didn't wake because I shut it down completely, by holding Power button for a few seconds - for some reason it refused to Hibernate. After this, all the icons on the desktop were re-arranged. Well, the machine is 7 years old...

almot09, Mar 25, 2018
  8. RickC Win User

Perhaps try Nir Sofer's TaskSchedulerView? This will list all scheduled tasks and their trigger times:

Make sure you download the version appropriate for your system - both x32 and x64 versions are available. Once unzipped, right-click on the executable and use Run as administrator.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Mar 25, 2018
  9. elbmek Win User
    Sorry could not resist - dont set the alarm!! *Busted

elbmek, Mar 26, 2018
  10. almot09 Win User
    Thanks, RickC. Nirsoft is nice. There was indeed a mysterious "Device" scheduled at 3am, and half a dozen other things.
    Being self-taught, I don't recognize most of them, so just disabled whatever was scheduled to run in the night. I know many people just let machines run 24x7, but I'm old school.

Ideally, would prefer to modify Triggers for those tasks to "Specific time IF Logon = Yes", so it would only run when machine is On. Probably can do this by locating the app and changing properties. Later. Maybe. If disabled apps give me troubles.

almot09, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to stop PC from waking up at 3AM? - Similar Threads - stop waking 3AM

2. PC not waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not waking up from sleep: I have an HP Pavilion All in One running Windows 11. It is set to go to sleep after 20 minutes of non use - setting as delivered. It has suddenly started to not wake up when pressing a keyboard key and I have to resort to forced power off and power up again. I have checked in...
  3. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  4. How to prevent a device from waking up PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent a device from waking up PC?: My computer woke up at night, recently after I put it to sleep. This is what the command prompt says about what woke it upWake History Count - 1Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  5. How to wake up my pc from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to wake up my pc from sleep: Problem is that every time I put my computer to sleep or it goes to sleep on its own, after the blue light indicating the power is on goes out, after i try to wake it up, the light turns back on but the screen stays black. I always end up having to force shut down then turn...
  6. How to wake up my pc from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to wake up my pc from sleep: Problem is that every time I put my computer to sleep or it goes to sleep on its own, after the blue light indicating the power is on goes out, after i try to wake it up, the light turns back on but the screen stays black. I always end up having to force shut down then turn...
  7. How to stop computer from waking up due to error?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop computer from waking up due to error?: How do you to stop a Windows 10 computer from waking up due to error? My Surface Pro 5th Gen gets error "Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186" about every 15 minutes, and each time it wakes up, trying to find my face via infrared camera for face unlock, and...
  8. 3am...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    3am...: why the fuck does this stupid piece of shit wake me up at 3am to tell me it wants to restart, how do i shut it the fuck up, and who is the stupid fucking asshole who thought this was a fucking good idea?...
  9. How To Stop UPDATEORCHESTRATOR From Waking PC/Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How To Stop UPDATEORCHESTRATOR From Waking PC/Laptop: So I was going crazy trying to find what was waking my PC when it was 'sleeping'. Turned out it was 'UPDATEORCHESTRATOR. I was running into every issue trying to just modify it in Task Scheduler (was getting a prompt asking me for credentials of User S-1-something or other...
  10. PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    PC wakes wakes up from Hibernate: A few Preview builds have been acting strangely. If I put computer to sleep or hibernate it wakes up by itself and keeps doing in the loop. Seems like it's happening during the night. Any idea? Thanks 105289