Windows 10: How to stop Start Menu showing All Programs after AU?

Discus and support How to stop Start Menu showing All Programs after AU? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Now that I have installed Win 10 AU the Start Menu has all my programs showing by default (in the alphabetical list). Previously I could hide... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Floob, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Floob Win User

How to stop Start Menu showing All Programs after AU?

Hi,

Now that I have installed Win 10 AU the Start Menu has all my programs showing by default (in the alphabetical list).
    Previously I could hide this. How do I do that now?

At the top of the list is "Recently added" programs, which is fine, I just dont want the full list below that.
    Any way to hide those, or even that whole column?

Thanks.

:)

Floob, Aug 5, 2016

2. The search feature in cortana is not working after resetting Windows 10.

After resetting windows 10, Windows 10 search has stopped working. I tried stopping and starting cortana and windows explorer. I also tried to stopping and starting windows search from services.msc. Even Search and index troubleshooting is no help. The search
    always shows a blank window. Even web search results wont appear. Also after reset win32 applications dont show up in the start menu. Installed programs and present in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. All UWP applications except mail
    and edge dont work. Splash screen shows and it closes the app.

(Previous subject:Windows 10 start menu problems after resetting)

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

Adityads93, Aug 5, 2016
  3. How to install Start menu All Programs shown on Windows 7 as tiles to Windows 10

You're perfectly right, you actually copied the executable files rather than just making shortcuts to them. I'd go ahead and send those to the recycle bin for now. Then for your questions:

1) It won't slow your computer down to have the copy instead of the shortcut, but it could be a security risk and it's still a copy you don't need (a shortcut would be better).

2) Yes you can delete the copies on the desktop (send them to the recycle bin)

3) If you "Pin to Start", it's just creating a shortcut on the start menu. Also:

• You can also right-click the program executable and choose "send to > desktop as shortcut".
    • You can even drag the icon directly to your taskbar for an always-present icon (a shortcut).
    • Finally, try using your right-mouse button to drag the executable to your desktop. When you let go to "drop it", you'll get a choice of what you want to happen. This is one great trick because it avoids any confusion.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 5, 2016
  4. Lethl Win User

Hi,

I have to agree, i want also a solution for this aswell. It is super annoying. Been looking around for hours, without any luck on this issue.

Lethl, Aug 5, 2016
  5. bfunke Win User
    After installing Anniversary update I'm not convinced it's any improvement. In fact some of these annoyances lead me to conclude it was a downgrade.

bfunke, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    The only workaround I could come up with so far is to create custom shortcuts for programs you would like to see in the list, name them appropriately so they appear at the top, (Alt Codes work great), then hide the rest.
    The ones you can't hide will be way at the bottom.

How to stop Start Menu showing All Programs after AU? [​IMG]

Try some different Alt Codes, many have varied hierarchical attributes:

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  7. aardvark Win User
    An an alternative, you might consider trying Classic Shell. It has an abundance of options that might work for you:

http://www.classicshell.net/

aardvark, Aug 5, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  9. Floob Win User
    Thanks - for the feedback so far. I'll consider a 3rd party Start Menu. Seems a shame to install one just to fix this issue though.

Floob, Aug 5, 2016
  10. aardvark Win User
    Classic Shell is really one program worth owning and it is free to boot. A direct link to the author's site was provided. Thanks to Edwin for providing a warning about alternate download locations.

aardvark, Aug 5, 2016
  11. ARC1020 Win User
    You see, now THIS is what the 'All Programs' list in the Start Menu should look like. *Thumbs

No ugly 'Arrow Down' arrows for folders dotted all over the place. No mismatch of icons all over the place. The Microsoft icons such as Skype, Edge, OneNote, Connect, etc., are so hideously obnoxious, I had to unpin them all them from the main Start Menu (but am still unfortunately stuck with them in the 'All Programs' list).

And people wonder why aliens don't talk to us.

ARC1020, Aug 5, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    Yup!
    It can be done! I just don't know why MS can't offer us a few simple options right 'Outta the Box'! *Think

Edwin, Aug 5, 2016
  13. Lethl Win User

Thanks alot, that classic shell did the trick. I really don't like a 3rd party start menu either, but its way better than what came with the AN update.
    I hope there will be an update in the future, that allows you to hide those folders in start menu. I can never imagine that be any hard at all.

Lethl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to stop Start Menu showing All Programs after AU? - Similar Threads - stop Start Menu

2. How to add a program to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a program to the start menu?: I'm trying to configure the Windows 11 start menu to work the way I want. I found these instructions for adding a program to the menu:1. Click the Start button on the task bar.2. Click All Apps.3. Right click the app I want to add. Windows opens a context menu which, in the...
  3. Deleted programs still showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted programs still showing in start menu: I decided that now is as good a time as any to learn Python, so I went to download the latest version 3.9.0. After downloading it, I used the Windows search bar to find that 3.8 was already installed from a previous attempt at learning Python. I clicked on 3.8 where it...
  4. Programs not showing in Start Menu or Search box after SFC and update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Programs not showing in Start Menu or Search box after SFC and update?: I was having the "waiting for cache" problem detailed here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-locks-up-waiting-for-cache/56580dea-4909-4747-b342-4407df8ff287 . I proceeded to follow the instructions in the first post: •- DISM.exe /Online...
  5. Programs not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not showing in start menu: I recently changed which SSD I wanted games and a few other things on. Since changing this any of the things installed aren’t showing up on the start menu. I have 3 different SSD’s, not sure if this have anything to do with it? I don’t know if I’m supposed to enable the...
  6. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  7. Programs Not Showing Up in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs Not Showing Up in Start Menu: I download programs. They get place in Documents folder (did another question on that). They don't show up in Start Menu. How do I get them to show up there? Thanks....
  8. installed program not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    installed program not showing in start menu: have installed Aome hdd manager on my W10 PC and laptop. on the PCs it appears in the start menu and also as an icon in the start menu. but on the laptop it is not showing, have uninstalled and reinstalled and created a shortcut from the installed .exe file then chose...
  9. Start Menu - All Programs fully expanded

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - All Programs fully expanded: I don't get a clickable All Programs in Start, instead I get an expanded list of everything. I've probably clicked some option somewhere. The Most Often Used list is also weird - e.g. I use Notepad++ much more than I use Sigil. I'd like to get back to having a collapsed...
  10. Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs: Customization of the Start Menu (no tiles please) equals speed! As you can see I am using the classic theme in Windows 7. We professionals and powers users can customize the Start Menu in such a way that we can access the most important areas, features, commands etc. of...