Windows 10: How to stop Start menu showing when waking up computer?

Discus and support How to stop Start menu showing when waking up computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; See here: How to create hotkeys for Windows sleep and shutdown I set Ctrl+Alt+` as the key combo that puts the computer to sleep as long as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BRKING, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

How to stop Start menu showing when waking up computer?

See here: How to create hotkeys for Windows sleep and shutdown

I set Ctrl+Alt+` as the key combo that puts the computer to sleep as long as Hibernate is disabled. Otherwise it would Hibernate the computer.

Basically you create a shortcut that does C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
    Then you open it's properties, go to the Shortcut tab, click in the Shortcut key field then press a key.
    Ctrl+Alt is prefixed to it.

Press Ctrl+Alt+the key you pressed and the system goes to sleep.

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2016
  2. Maggidon Win User

I don't have Icons showing on the Desktop. My question would be, how is it that when right clicking on the Start Button and putting the computer from there will stop the Start Menu from showing after coming out of sleep but putting the computer to sleep from within the Start Menu causes the Start Menu to appear after coming out of sleep?

Maggidon, Dec 19, 2016
  3. crtelinde Win User
    I think I may have found a solution for this. What you can do to avoid having the Start menu up when logging back in after Sleep Mode is this: type Windows + X (you can also get this context menu by right-clicking on the Start button), then navigate down to Shut down or sign out, and choose Sleep from here. This will make it so you do not see the Start menu when you wake your PC back up. Hope this helps.

Edit: looks like Maggidonalso stated the same solution before I did. Whoops.

crtelinde, Jan 6, 2017
  4. Maggidon Win User

Thank you for that. I've found out that logging out from within the Start Menu, it only makes sense the Start Menu is going to be there when waking up the system. As you say, right clicking on the Start Menu does the trick but I've sent my Power Button to put the system to sleep when pressing on that. Consequently, each time I wish to put the computer to sleep manually, I do just that, hit the power button. All the best in the New Year!!!

Maggidon, Jan 6, 2017
  5. edthebrit Win User
    I realise that this is an old post, but just someone is still following it, or stumbles on it as I did due to my recent issue...
    I have just recently had this issue with my Toshiba two-in-one laptop, It started suddenly and for no apparent reason. In scanning the above replies, someone mentioned their laptop not being in tablet mode. Got the crusty grey matter churning... I put my laptop in tablet mode and then back into laptop mode (by folding the screen back and returning it to regular laptop orientation) - cured the problem. Apparently it was stuck in laptop mode and so presented the start menu on the desktop. Simple fix if you have a similar two-in-one situation.

edthebrit, Nov 23, 2017
  6. Maggidon Win User
    Tremendous! Thanks for posting. All the best in the upcoming, remaining part of the New Year - 2016!

Maggidon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to stop Start menu showing when waking up computer? - Similar Threads - stop Start menu

2. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  3. Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound turns off when computer wakes up or starts: All of a sudden, every time I start up my computer or it wakes up from sleep mode, the sound is turned off. I didn't change any settings. This just started yesterday....
  4. How to stop the start menu being covered up?

in Cortana
    How to stop the start menu being covered up?: For a few years the start menu on Windows 10 has sometimes been covered up like this, so I can't visually navigate the search or start menu:Is there some way to prevent this?...
  5. How to stop the start menu being covered up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop the start menu being covered up?: For a few years the start menu on Windows 10 has sometimes been covered up like this, so I can't visually navigate the search or start menu:Is there some way to prevent this?...
  6. How to stop the start menu being covered up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows Start Menu not showing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start Menu not showing up.: Hello together,we have a User with a broken start menu on his laptop. Hitting the win key, or pressing it with a mouse will result to a colored icon, but not open up the menu. Details:This Error only occurs for one specific user on this machine. It happens on windows 10 and...
  8. How to stop computer from waking up due to error?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop computer from waking up due to error?: How do you to stop a Windows 10 computer from waking up due to error? My Surface Pro 5th Gen gets error "Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186" about every 15 minutes, and each time it wakes up, trying to find my face via infrared camera for face unlock, and...
  9. Start menu not showing up

Start menu not showing up: Neither this or searching menu don't show up help submitted by /u/Kamiks0320 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0o9xv/start_menu_not_showing_up/
  10. Start menu not showing up

Start menu not showing up: Neither this or searching menu don't show up help submitted by /u/Kamiks0320 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0o9xv/start_menu_not_showing_up/