Windows 10: How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations?

Discus and support How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been using an application called Default Programs Editor to adjust the default program to open with when a file is opened and also the icon. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swampwiz, Aug 8, 2015.

1. swampwiz Win User

How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations?

I have been using an application called Default Programs Editor to adjust the default program to open with when a file is opened and also the icon. I have done this once for Windows 10. However, it seems that after the latest update (which seems to be on a daily basis? *Huh), all those associations were overwritten with the garbage Windows 10 applications.

I use this mainly for sound & video files, which I like to use VideoLan for the association, and a few nice icons for the file type. It would not be bad at all if somehow I could have that application (or some other like it) save the associations such that redoing everything would be easy, but that is not the case, so changing all the associations is a real pain that I really don't want to have to do every time Windows updates. *Mad *Mad

:)

swampwiz, Aug 8, 2015

2. How to change windows 10 updates download location

With 'wuauserv' stopped, copy all of the files from your original
    SoftwarDistribution folder to your new folder, overwrite the existing files.

The go to Start -> Settings -> Update & security

Then 'Check for updates'

Under Task Manager -> services, you should find that 'wuauserv' is running.

PaulHumberstone, Aug 8, 2015
  3. oldpaint Win User
    Ransomeware

This article was posted about 5 days ago.
    http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/petya-crypto-ransomware-overwrites-mbr-lock-users-computers/

It talks about overwriting the MBR and encrypting the drive. So I assume these are 2 separate processes. At first since the article mentioned overwriting the MBR, I thought maybe having a GPT partition would stop the encryption, but now I'm thinking at best
    maybe having a GPT partition would prevent the part of the attack that stops the pc from booting up, but the files would still be encrypted.

oldpaint, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations?

1. How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations? - Similar Threads - stop updates overwriting

2. How To Associate app for Files With No Extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Associate app for Files With No Extension: Win 10 v1903. I get files from an app and these files do not have an extension. I can open and read them via Notebook but I'd like to assign Notebook to open them when I double click the file name. Can that be done in Win 10? -- Larry 142436
  3. How to assign a file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to assign a file association: I cannot send pictures from my PC through email. I get a message to file association. Go to control panel and make a file association. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-assign-a-file-association/29138adb-8c51-4f41-9b0e-685440bc6d0f"
  4. File Association

File Association: Please help, I have .fls files needed for work that are now associated as IE, need help fast. 124860
  5. File Association

in Windows 10 Support
    File Association: Please help, I have .fls files needed for work that are now associated as IE, need help fast. 124860
  6. Stop Windows 10 from overwriting drivers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop Windows 10 from overwriting drivers.: Hello friends, I have a small problem. I have a Hp 250 g4 with windows 10 1809 and everything works flawlessly excepting the audio driver. The driver that windows ships works great and the sound coming from the laptop is decent on the speakers and good on the audio jack. The...
  7. Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates: I have a lot of mp3 music which is ripped from my extensive CD collection (I went to live abroad and didn't have space for all my CDs). I like to have all my lists arranged and sorted, with accurate art. Several of my albums are but a compilation of different mp3 songs put...
  8. File association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File association: The latest update to Windows 10 has left me with little or no ability to change file association. Example, I wish to open a photograph (JPEG or Tiff) in Photoshop Elements 2018. I click on the desired photo and it opens in Paint 3D. I have tried several times to change this...
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. File Association

File Association: I use MS Office 2003 with Frontpage which works well in Win and does all I need. How can I associate .html files to open with Frontpage. In Control Panel - set default programs it dos not show Frontpage as an option. In Control Panel set File associations - it...