Windows 10: How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations?

Discus and support How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been using an application called Default Programs Editor to adjust the default program to open with when a file is opened and also the icon. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swampwiz, Aug 8, 2015.

1. swampwiz Win User

How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations?

I have been using an application called Default Programs Editor to adjust the default program to open with when a file is opened and also the icon. I have done this once for Windows 10. However, it seems that after the latest update (which seems to be on a daily basis? *Huh), all those associations were overwritten with the garbage Windows 10 applications.

I use this mainly for sound & video files, which I like to use VideoLan for the association, and a few nice icons for the file type. It would not be bad at all if somehow I could have that application (or some other like it) save the associations such that redoing everything would be easy, but that is not the case, so changing all the associations is a real pain that I really don't want to have to do every time Windows updates. *Mad *Mad

:)

swampwiz, Aug 8, 2015

2. How to change windows 10 updates download location

With 'wuauserv' stopped, copy all of the files from your original
    SoftwarDistribution folder to your new folder, overwrite the existing files.

The go to Start -> Settings -> Update & security

Then 'Check for updates'

Under Task Manager -> services, you should find that 'wuauserv' is running.

PaulHumberstone, Aug 8, 2015
  3. oldpaint Win User
    Ransomeware

This article was posted about 5 days ago.
    http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/petya-crypto-ransomware-overwrites-mbr-lock-users-computers/

It talks about overwriting the MBR and encrypting the drive. So I assume these are 2 separate processes. At first since the article mentioned overwriting the MBR, I thought maybe having a GPT partition would stop the encryption, but now I'm thinking at best
    maybe having a GPT partition would prevent the part of the attack that stops the pc from booting up, but the files would still be encrypted.

oldpaint, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations?

1. How to stop updates from overwriting file & icon associations? - Similar Threads - stop updates overwriting

2. win11 change file association icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win11 change file association icon: I do not like the WinZip app as I can not open several at one time. I used ti be able to extract several to their own folder, so I DL 7zip and it changed the icon so I can recognized the file a a zipper it was a folder with a zipper on it how do I get it to return???? I now...
  3. win11 change file association icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win11 change file association icon: I do not like the WinZip app as I can not open several at one time. I used ti be able to extract several to their own folder, so I DL 7zip and it changed the icon so I can recognized the file a a zipper it was a folder with a zipper on it how do I get it to return???? I now...
  4. How to remove old programs from file associations

How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  5. How to remove old programs from file associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove old programs from file associations: Hi folks, I wonder if someone would know how to remove these old programs from the list below..I removed Winamp and Media Monkey a while back but they've never fully disappeared from my system.If anyone can help that'd be great, my OCD is going into overdrive haha...
  6. How to stop Microsoft Dictation from Overwriting previously spoken text??

How to stop Microsoft Dictation from Overwriting previously spoken text??: We have been using the Windows key + H for the Windows Dictation program for a couple weeks now and for the most part it has worked well.All of a sudden today, it's not working. Once activated and start speaking it will transcribe the first few words/sentence, but then it...
  7. How to avoid Windows updates from overwriting personal settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to avoid Windows updates from overwriting personal settings: Windows updates almost always overwrites my personal settings, such as power and screen lock settings, or sometimes touchpad settings. Is there a way to install Window updates and keep/retain my personal settings or preferences? It's pretty annoying to have to reset my...
  8. File type association, icon issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File type association, icon issue: I changed my office installation from 2010 to 365. Afterwards, xlsx files were unassociated with Excel (I could open them within Excel, but not double-click). I associated the file with the Excel application, and now my xlsx files' icons are the exact icon of the Excel...
  9. Stop Windows 10 from overwriting drivers.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop Windows 10 from overwriting drivers.: Hello friends, I have a small problem. I have a Hp 250 g4 with windows 10 1809 and everything works flawlessly excepting the audio driver. The driver that windows ships works great and the sound coming from the laptop is decent on the speakers and good on the audio jack. The...
  10. Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates: I have a lot of mp3 music which is ripped from my extensive CD collection (I went to live abroad and didn't have space for all my CDs). I like to have all my lists arranged and sorted, with accurate art. Several of my albums are but a compilation of different mp3 songs put...