Windows 10: How to stop Win10 from updating itself while you are working?

Discus and support How to stop Win10 from updating itself while you are working? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I just had a most unpleasant experience with Windows 10, I would like to find out how to prevent it from happening in the future. I was in the middle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by martin, Nov 12, 2016.

1. martin Win User

How to stop Win10 from updating itself while you are working?

I just had a most unpleasant experience with Windows 10, I would like to find out how to prevent it from happening in the future. I was in the middle of typing up a long album description in Picasa when Windows decided to just reboot to install updates. There was no option to postpone the update until I had finished typing. Admittedly I had previously deferred Win10 from updating (also because I was in the middle of doing something), but I think it's unacceptable to just quit and reboot itself without presenting the user with an option to cancel or do it later. Here is a screencap of my Windows update settings. Thank you.

:)

martin, Nov 12, 2016

2. How to stop win10 home 1511 from updating to the latest conexant sound driver?

Hi ,

Welcome to our Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver
    or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

You cannot stop Automatic Windows updates on Windows 10 but you can block certain updates for any particular driver. I suggest you to refer the steps provided by Rohit Chettri
    on the below thread link to block update of a driver software.

How to block automatic reinstall of a driver or update from Windows Update

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anup Karkal, Nov 12, 2016
  3. How to stop win10 home 1511 from updating to the latest conexant sound driver?

Problem Description:

The latest version of Conexant driver 8.66.16.50 would cause flash hang problem on some of the lenovo products as described in:

Shockwave Flash not working in ANY browser in Windows 10

So I want to switch to the version provided by the lenovo as 8.66.4.50, but each time I uninstall the new driver, install the version I downloaded from the lenovo website and reboot, the system would restore to the version of 8.66.16.50 which I do not want!

What have I done to prevent this update but not working including:

1 Selected 'No' in Device Installation Setting- Do you want to automatically download manufactuers' apps and custom icons available for your devices? - Clearly no use, driver still got updated each time!

2 Using the Show or hide updates tool - When I was on the 8.66.4.50 and ran this tool, I can not see a Conexant driver in the list that could be hide, so there is no way to hide!

This had troubles me for a long time and cost me a lot of energy! Please help!

AlcatrazX.Chen, Nov 12, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

The only sure way is to disable Windows Update in Services. You just have to remember to enable it again when you are finished with your work.

TrustMe, Nov 12, 2016
  5. martin Win User
    Thank you, I found another post on this topic with a gpedit setting that I have not tried yet, if that doesn't work i'll try disabling the service.

martin, Nov 12, 2016
  6. Phone Man Win User
    On Update page check Change Active Hours and also Restart Options.

How to stop Win10 from updating itself while you are working? [​IMG]

How to stop Win10 from updating itself while you are working? [​IMG]

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Nov 13, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to stop Win10 from updating itself while you are working? - Similar Threads - stop Win10 updating

2. HOW DO YOU STOP BIOS UPDATE FROM RUNNING AND RUNNING?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW DO YOU STOP BIOS UPDATE FROM RUNNING AND RUNNING?: HOW DO YOU STOP BIOS UPDATE FROM RUNNING AND RUNNING? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-stop-bios-update-from-running-and/91921e5b-bfa9-4728-a0bb-0d7aab1a1e2b
  3. Camera Stopped Working and Renamed Itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Camera Stopped Working and Renamed Itself: So I was using my computer and the camera was working fine and nicely. After a couple of minutes, I put the laptop in sleep mode for about 3 hours before using it again. When I tried to use the camera, it just wouldn't work. I went to Camera App to see the error codes and I...
  4. Camera Stopped Working and Renamed Itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera Stopped Working and Renamed Itself: So I was using my computer and the camera was working fine and nicely. After a couple of minutes, I put the laptop in sleep mode for about 3 hours before using it again. When I tried to use the camera, it just wouldn't work. I went to Camera App to see the error codes and I...
  5. How to stop windows from updating itself?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows from updating itself?: I have an hp laptop with windows 10! I'm working on my school project then I saw my phone's data usage is 1Gb. My internet is about to exhaust due to my mobile hotspot! Can anyone explain me how to stop this sh*t! Please help anyone! submitted by /u/iamlaksh [link]...
  6. How to you stop a specific update from installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to you stop a specific update from installing: I have several computers that were effected by the March critical update released on March 9th effecting users printing to copiers. I have uninstalled the update several times and Windows keeps reinstalling them. How can I target a specific update not to reinstall?...
  7. how do you stop the background music from playing while watching TV?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do you stop the background music from playing while watching TV?: how do you stop the background music from playing while watching TV? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-stop-the-background-music-from-playing/109d7af3-a775-4125-97da-7acb30e5fb6f
  8. How do you stop Windows 10 from rebooting while working on VMs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you stop Windows 10 from rebooting while working on VMs?: So I run VMs (VMware) off my Windows 10 Host OS, Win10 updates and reboots regardless if my VMs are running and regardless of how much data i'll loose due to this stupid oversight... per the update settings it shouldn't reboot as I've still got programs running in VMs. Does...
  9. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?: I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent. The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a while I'm usually in a place where I'm hotspotting with my mobile phone. Needless to say I need to limit my data flow making...
  10. how to stop corrupted update from installing itself on win 10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to stop corrupted update from installing itself on win 10 home: hello i have windows 10 home every time i connect to the internet a corrupted update called SAMSUNG android USB driver which never install without an error message it made my laptop unable to recognize samsung note 3 i downloaded that very driver from samsung website and...