Windows 10: How to stop Windows 10 automatically installing Realtek audio drivers?

Discus and support How to stop Windows 10 automatically installing Realtek audio drivers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just like the title says, I don't want the realtek audio drivers as it completely messes with my audio and also doesn't correctly switch when i plug in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BradB111, Jul 29, 2015.

1. BradB111 Win User

How to stop Windows 10 automatically installing Realtek audio drivers?

Just like the title says, I don't want the realtek audio drivers as it completely messes with my audio and also doesn't correctly switch when i plug in headphones for example.
    It also doesn't allow for the 'speaker fill' enhancement to be used when playing stereo content through surround sound.

Windows itself does a far better job as opposed to realtek.

Every time i uninstall realtek it automatically gets reinstalled.

Sorry Microsoft, you don't know best.

:)

BradB111, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Nathaniel_M, Jul 29, 2015
  3. How to stop Realtek Audio drivers from installing on Windows 10?

Go and read this post on winbeta. It gives you the way to stop automatic driver installs.

Windows 10 How To: blocking the automatic reinstall of a driver or update in Windows 10 | On MSFT

Jmarco0921, Jul 29, 2015
  4. How to stop Windows 10 automatically installing Realtek audio drivers?

TairikuOkami, Jul 29, 2015
  5. BradB111 Win User
  6. Interesting, try to stop and disable Device Setup Manager service.
    Start - Computer Management - Services - find Device Setup Manager.

TairikuOkami, Jul 29, 2015
  7. BradB111 Win User
    I set permissions on the realtek folder in program files for 'SYSTEM' to deny all access (after removing it). and that seems to be working for now. but only time will tell

BradB111, Jul 29, 2015
  8. BradB111 Win User

Screenshot if that's any help to anybody?

How to stop Windows 10 automatically installing Realtek audio drivers? [​IMG]

BradB111, Jul 29, 2015
  9. I had the same exact same issue with Realtek audio drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. So I denied all access just like shown in that pic. Solved my problem, now my sound comes from all speakers and sub. Thanks mate!

CottonShark, Jul 31, 2015
  10. thorastur Win User
  11. CAB
    CAB Win User
    Yes well done, have been looking around for a few days on how to disable the Realtek HD upgrade (what a useless app that is).

To be clear, I denied access as described above, uninstalled the program using add/remove programs, rebooted and now I have all my connections back again!!!

12. Uday Win User
    Open Device Manager > Sound video and game controllers> Double click on Realtek > click on driver tab> click on "Roll back driver " > press ok.

13. Ripper Win User

Apologies for reviving an old thread, I've been having problems with the Realtek audio driver for a couple of weeks, there are very distracting and annoying volume changes caused by some auto level control in the driver that cannot be disabled, so I've been trying to get rid of the POS for the past couple of weeks but it keeps coming back with every restart. I found this thread when Googling for possible solutions. This is also my first post on these forums.

The solution in this thread, to deny access to the Realtek folder worked for me, but on every restart/reboot Windows would try to install the driver, fail because folder access was denied, then re-install the Microsoft driver. I learned this from the Events tab in the properties dialogue. This extended the boot time and increased hard drive thrashing. So after a couple of hours thinking of options, this is what I came up with and its been working fine through several restart/reboots:

1- Do not deny access to the Realtek folder. Let the driver install and take over.

2- Go to Contol Panel>Advanced System Settings>Hardware tab. Click on Device Installation Settings and choose 'No (your device might not work as expected)' to prevent Windows from automatically downloading device drivers.

3- Go to Device Manager. Right-click Realtek HD Audio Device and choose 'Disable'.

4- Right-click Realtek HD Audio Device again and this time choose 'Update Driver'.

A Dialogue will appear with options to automatically search for the driver online, search on disk or select from a list. Choose to select from a list. A list will appear containing the Realtek driver and the Microsoft generic driver. Select the Microsoft driver (High Definition Audio Device) and OK. You will get a warning about compatibility but ignore it.

5- Restart. When the system comes back up open the sound mixer. You should see in the window titlebar that it is using the High Definition Audio Device.

6- Just one more thing to do. Right-click the speaker icon in the task bar and chose Playback devices. Select Speakers then click on Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and change the sample rate and bit depth to the highest possible on your system.

Happy listening.

Ripper, Jan 22, 2016
  14. Noseshine Win User
    @Ripper - that does not work for me. When I try "Update Driver" I am never offered the Microsoft driver. I'm not offered anything: The system just assumes that the Realtek driver is the only one I ever want!

It does work - briefly, until I get the forced "update" to Realtek - with the Microsoft HD driver. I have disabled automatic driver updates, I removed the Realtek files, but nothing works. If I uninstall the Realtek driver in the device manager I get a working sound - for a minute, then Windows 10 has installed and switched to the Realtek driver again. If I follow your advice the only option is Realtek to begin with, never a choice!

EDIT

What seems to work is that when after following the linked suggestions I add a step "Rollback driver" instead of "Update driver" (which does nothing since it only confirms Realtek as the only available option). The rollback went back to the Microsoft driver and for the last 10 minutes has stayed there (the previous automatic "upgrades" to Realtek took place within the first minute of starting the laptop).

This only works if there wasn't an update from Realtek driver to a newer Realtek driver, because then the rollback would just be to the previous Realtek version.

Noseshine, Apr 5, 2016
  15. tacoban Win User
    I have never tried but an option could be, download the driver from realtek, unpack the files and open the folder. Afther this, open the *.inf file of the downloaded driver and change DRIVER VERSION and/or, give it a higher number than what windows offer. save the changes and try to install.

If this works, windows will think that the realtek provided driver is newer and will not update. Never tried but I think there might be a big chance that the trick could work.

tacoban, Apr 5, 2016
Thema:

1. How to stop Windows 10 automatically installing Realtek audio drivers? - Similar Threads - stop automatically installing

2. Realtek Audio Driver not installing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek Audio Driver not installing: I am using a Lenovo system, I have tried using the installer from my manufacturer and from Realtek them self, They both install the software in Apps and Features but not the driver in device manager. In my system devices section in device manager has something called High...
  3. Realtek Audio Driver not installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Audio Driver not installing: I am using a Lenovo system, I have tried using the installer from my manufacturer and from Realtek them self, They both install the software in Apps and Features but not the driver in device manager. In my system devices section in device manager has something called High...
  4. Realtek Audio Driver not installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Realtek Audio Driver Installation Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Audio Driver Installation Failed: I accidentally deleted my sound driver on my Lenovo laptop and when I try to install it from the realtek website, the installation fails. There is a red x on my speaker icon and no sound anywhere. I was originally trying to fix the sound that quit working and I think I made...
  6. Realtek Audio Driver Installation Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek Audio Driver Installation Failed: I accidentally deleted my sound driver on my Lenovo laptop and when I try to install it from the realtek website, the installation fails. There is a red x on my speaker icon and no sound anywhere. I was originally trying to fix the sound that quit working and I think I made...
  7. realtek audio drivers not installing

realtek audio drivers not installing: my audio randomly cut out then i did the steps on unistalling it and i did and now i restarted my pc an its not showing up i did the show hidden files thing and then i installed the audio drivers and still nothing...
  8. Realtek Audio driver automatically changes in between

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek Audio driver automatically changes in between: [ATTACH] Hi, So the problem is while I am browsing or watching videos my Realtek audio driver is acting crazy. Frequently the name changes from Speakers Realtek(R) Audio to Speakers 2-Realtek(R) Audio with a low break sound from speakers. And when I restart the system it...
  9. Help with installing Realtek Audio Drivers

Help with installing Realtek Audio Drivers: Normally this would be a Realtek problem but my main problem is Windows. I was getting bad mic quality so I installed the latest Realtek drivers from their website, I installed it, restarted my computer, and got no sound. I went into Devices, and saw this: Realtek is the...
  10. Can no longer stop the Realtek drivers from installing automatically.

Can no longer stop the Realtek drivers from installing automatically.: Why can Microsoft understand I don't want to use these POS Realtek drivers. I use to disable driver updates from Windows 10 by going into Device Installation settings and Never install drivers from Windows update but now since the last stupid update everytime the POS Realtek...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable realtek audio windows 10 automatically