Windows 10: How To Stop Windows 10 Updates During Public Powerpoint Presentations

Discus and support How To Stop Windows 10 Updates During Public Powerpoint Presentations in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Love the forum, got a ton of information lurking, decided to join and participate. I am running Windows 10 via Boot Camp on the new MacBook Retina.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by boltjames, Aug 31, 2015.

1. boltjames Win User

How To Stop Windows 10 Updates During Public Powerpoint Presentations

Love the forum, got a ton of information lurking, decided to join and participate.

I am running Windows 10 via Boot Camp on the new MacBook Retina. I have always had the slimmest/lightest notebook as I travel extensively for work and the new Apple product is impossible to beat in that regard (and Sony went out of the VAIO business). I hate OSX, never run it, I just boot straight to Windows 10 and things are awesome. Except...

I am usually the key presenter at important board meetings and customer meetings. I have a big/heavy notebook at work which I use 90% of the time, but when I hit the road I'm using my sleek/light Windows 10 MacBook. Issue is, when I arrive at my destination and am shown to the presentation room, I boot up Windows 10, launch the Powerpoint file from Dropbox, and -boom-, within 5 minutes I'm speaking in front of a large group.

I am concerned that at my next presentation, I'll whip out my thin/light notebook and as I start presenting I'll see some message about Windows 10 updating -or- Windows 10 needing a reboot to install updates.

Am I worried needlessly? Does Windows 10 know enough not to interrupt a full-screen Powerpoint presentation? Is there a mode to disable automatic updates? Or with its new update protocol I am at risk of an embarrassing update moment at my next series of live presentations?

TIA

BJ

:)

boltjames, Aug 31, 2015

2. How do I turn off Automatic Wndows Updates in Windows 10?

Funny Advertising for Microsoft Windows 10 last night.

A full house was packed into the auditorium for Windsor High School's FFA End-of-year banquet.

They were running a laptop, through a projector showing slides for the presentations. In the middle of the award ceremony, projected on the big screen for everyone to see.

Suddenly, without the laptop operator touching anything, Powerpoint shut off, the User was logged out, and Windows 10 Updated itself and rebooted their laptop. Right in the middle of the presentation, funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

After it rebooted, they were able to log back in, start Powerpoint, and resume the slideshow. But for a good 10 minutes, they had no visual display for their award ceremony.

You can't buy that kind of publicity.

Dan - 80010, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Assigned Access of Powerpoint Presentation

I was hoping that by downloading the PowerPoint Mobile app in windows store, that I would be able to use it to setup assigned access on a Windows 10 computer and display a powerpoint presentation. Our issues is, we need this to be a Kiosk that no-one can
    close out the presentation. Powerpoint allows you to turn most functions off, but you can still access the ease of access toolbar, and can also close the presentation out. When I go to assigned access though, Powerpoint Mobile does not appear in the list of
    Apps. I have downloaded other Supposed PowerPoint Presenters, but none of them show up in the list either.

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this! I do not understand how to setup the Power Shell code to set this up, too technical for me. But I really need this as Kiosk computer. Any suggestion?

Drew Patterson, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

there is a presentation setting to prevent anything from happening when in a presentation mode

where you ask - off the top of my head - have to go looking for it again..

5. boltjames Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply. I looked for a 'presentation mode' myself but could not locate it, also am unsure if that means it'll stop updates from installing as well as downloading (I'd like to prevent both).

BJ

boltjames, Aug 31, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Select "notify to schedule restart" instead of "automatic" in Windows update, advanced settings.

7. boltjames Win User
    But wouldn't this notification you mention pop up over the Powerpoint which is precisely what I'm afraid of?

In the end, I don't want to have anything pop-up or install or notify me during a public meeting where I'm running my notebook.

BJ

boltjames, Aug 31, 2015
  8. boltjames Win User

Update on this front: I just did a Windows 10 Search (as well as a Control Panel Search) for 'presentation' and 'presentation mode' and nothing came up.

BJ

boltjames, Aug 31, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
  10. Settings > System > Notifications & actions > Notifications > Hide notifications while presenting.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  11. RWOne Win User
    Settings, System, notifications and actions - Hide notifications while presenting.....

alpha beat me by a minute. Has nothing to do with Win Update.

RWOne, Aug 31, 2015
  12. lol, that happens to me quit often. You click post and when the page refreshes you see somebody just beat you to it.

13. RWOne Win User

Yep, occupational hazard. *Smile

RWOne, Aug 31, 2015
  14. boltjames Win User
    Thank you very much for your thoughtful and original answer. I wish there were others so helpful.

BJ

boltjames, Aug 31, 2015
  15. There are many helpful members here. Sometimes it just depends on who's online when you post an issue. *Wink

Thema:

1. How To Stop Windows 10 Updates During Public Powerpoint Presentations - Similar Threads - Stop Updates During

2. Unable to Open PowerPoint Presentations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Open PowerPoint Presentations: Hi, I'm having trouble opening PowerPoint presentations on my Windows 11 laptop. Whenever I try to open a PowerPoint file, I receive an error message saying "PowerPoint couldn't read the file." This happens with all PowerPoint files, including ones that I've been able to open...
  3. How to prevent Windows 11 from sleeping during PowerPoint presentation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows 11 from sleeping during PowerPoint presentation?: The screen shuts off when I'm doing PP presentations. How can I prevent this? I'm using Windows 11 home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-windows-11-from-sleeping-during/ac7276c1-6bd4-4c66-b035-a8db352ac9a0
  4. How to prevent Windows 11 from sleeping during PowerPoint presentation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent Windows 11 from sleeping during PowerPoint presentation?: The screen shuts off when I'm doing PP presentations. How can I prevent this? I'm using Windows 11 home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-windows-11-from-sleeping-during/ac7276c1-6bd4-4c66-b035-a8db352ac9a0
  5. PowerPoint Presentation on Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    PowerPoint Presentation on Dual Monitors: Hello,I have a requirement where I need to open the PowerPoint file from today using task scheduler on the two different monitors in short make the process dynamic instead of opening those files everyday manually.So is there a way for either open two ppts in separate monitors...
  6. Powerpoint online presentation suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Powerpoint online presentation suddenly stopped working.: "Error starting online presentation. Cannot connect to this service. Check your network connection and try again". Have used this almost daily for our business then all of the sudden we continuously get this message. Any assistance would be fantastic....
  7. 3D Powerpoint presentations

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    3D Powerpoint presentations: I am loving the new 3D powerpoint presentations, however, I am not loving the following issue. I have the latest version of office 365, a brand new Surface Pro with the latest version of Windows 10, but when I save any 3D presentation it says some of the items might not be...
  8. To know about powerpoint presentation.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    To know about powerpoint presentation.: sir, please help me to do my presentation . Don't know how to do a power point presentation in windows 10 software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-know-about-powerpoint-presentation/3bcf1396-8025-49a3-a686-28927336151a"
  9. Converting Powerpoint Presentation to Movie

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Converting Powerpoint Presentation to Movie: To answer "why".....the original presentation was done on a Mac and runs just fine on that computer. I would have left it alone were it mine, but........This is going to be displayed on an Intel Stick (connected to a TV) which does not have Power Point. The Power Point viewer...
  10. iPhone as remote control for Powerpoint during a presentation?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    iPhone as remote control for Powerpoint during a presentation?: I am going to hold a presentation at a congress using Powerpoint and I want to use my iPhone as a remote control. I'd like to use iPhone to click from sheet to sheet as I move freely in the room, I also want see a copy of the actual sheet on my iPhone screen. I used...