Windows 10: How to stop windows 10 Upgrades (not security updates)

Discus and support How to stop windows 10 Upgrades (not security updates) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a problem with windows 10 and wish that someone with more experience can help me understad if what i'm going to ask is possible: i would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by roy111, Aug 6, 2017.

1. roy111 Win User

How to stop windows 10 Upgrades (not security updates)

I have a problem with windows 10 and wish that someone
    with more experience can help me understad if what i'm
    going to ask is possible:

i would like to use windows (10 pro) as a stable system to
    work on my projects, so i was using windows 10 1607
    and had set the "defer upgrades" to avoid feature upgrades.
    I do not want to stop security/fix updates, only stop
    system changing upgrades.

In spite of the "defer upgrades" settings the system
    upgraded to 1703 creative update and i was not able
    anymore to connect to the system remotely so i had
    several problems to understand what was goind on and
    to restore connectivity.

Is it possible to stop this behavior and maintain
    a stable windows 10 version untill it is supported
    (namely untill it receive security uptates)?

So help me understand if windows 10 pro is trustworthy
    or just a crippled OS and i may need windows 10 enterprise
    to do what i need without having the OS fighting back
    the system settings i choose to set.

P.S. i'm not a windows twearker messing with
    regedit etc, i'm hoping there is a simple way
    to do this because if i have to fight against
    what it seems to me windows 10 is supposed to do (upgrade itself),
    i'm not going to do that but i'll replace it instead.

So to whom have more windows 10 insights
    i'm i doomed or is there a way to avoid upgrades?

thanks.

:)

roy111, Aug 6, 2017

2. Undesired auto-download of windows 10 upgrade to windows 7.

Every time I select and try to download "important" security updates to windows 7 Pro, Microsoft starts downloading the windows 10 upgrade.

How to stop this unwanted "10" intrusion?

haroldbuscher, Aug 6, 2017
  3. error code 0xc00000005

Trying to run update on windows 10 to get latest security upgrades and fixes. Running Windows 10 Pro, version 1703.

It keeps stopping and giving error code 0xc000005. How can I fix this?

SteveJohnson7, Aug 6, 2017
  4. Barman58 Win User

Windows as a service is designed to continuously evolve, with two planned Feature Updates each year, you can defer updates on the "pro" version for up to 12 months.

Each new feature build will be supported for a maximum of Two years

There is no guarantee that a version over two years old will be supported with any updates including security updates, (the update to the next Feature version resets the support clock for that version to two years)

There is a special version of the Enterprise SKU that is known as the Long Term Service Branch [LTSB], which reverts to the old ten Year security update model of previous Windows versions. ( this 1607 LTSB is also being used to allow those users that are caught by the Intel Decision to stop support for certain CPU Chipsets)

This would I think meet your requirements but there is a major issue. As far as I am aware, this is not available directly to individuals but only to companies, governments Etc under the Volume Licence System.

I think the latest LTSB was 1607 and there may be another in the next two or three releases. This may be available with an MSDN subscription but obviously that will cost considerably more than following the Planned update regime (Free)

Edit

You may also see the LTSB identified as CBB, ( Current Branch for Business).

Barman58, Aug 6, 2017
  5. roy111 Win User
    Barman thanks for your answer,

12 month would be ok, unfortunately i installed 1607 a couple of month ago still it upgraded to 1703
    despite the defer upgrade which did not defer.

Thanks for your explanation, LTSB is probably what would fit my need but it's overkill to
    pay for Volume Lic. to use it in a couple of pc.

So what i understand is that i'd better use another OS if i need a stable system.

roy111, Aug 6, 2017
  6. sml156 Win User
    If Computer is fully updated right now you have a few options to delay updates IfIf you open updates then click on advanced you will find some new settings
    version 1703 OS Build 15063.502

How to stop windows 10 Upgrades (not security updates) [​IMG]

sml156, Aug 6, 2017
  7. roy111 Win User
    Thanks sml156, i do not know if those settings will do and what they really mean:

this is microsoft definition:

Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

nonetheless my pc ugraded after less than two month after 1607 fresh install,
    so my experience is that thoe settings may or may not be effective, it's like
    tossing a coin and i will be not be bitten again by the same snake.

roy111, Aug 6, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

It's my understanding that the way I got my updates set I should not get anything that will reboot the computer for a long time, I have been wrong before so we will see.

I will not leave it that long I will update when I got the time to do it myself. MS seems to break stuff when they do a major upgrade so I would rather do it when I know I can screw around for an hour trying to fix it or reinstall Windows, I don't play around with it too long I just reinstall and get it over with.

Oh and upgrade your OS 16.04 has been EOL for over a month now. *Biggrin

sml156, Aug 6, 2017
  9. roy111 Win User
    I try to set as your above picture, let's see how it goes ...

i do not know what you mean with your OS 16.04 is EOL, if you mean
    the ubuntu 16.04, is not EOL, it's a long term release (5 years of support);

thanks again.

roy111, Aug 6, 2017
  10. sml156 Win User
    Well that sucks I just checked Releases - Ubuntu Wiki and you're right I don't know why I thought that, Maybe I got confused with 16.10.

I had 2 Ubuntu minimal servers running as my DNS servers ( PiHole ) that I just switched to 17.04 which goes EOL next year, I guess i'm going to have see if I deleted them and put them back into service if I didn't.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to stop windows 10 Upgrades (not security updates) - Similar Threads - stop Upgrades security

2. How to stop Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows Update Settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows Update Settings?: Hi there,Running into an issue where Windows 11 gets stuck at 8% downloading when trying to upgrade via Windows Update Settings. To solve this issue I decided to try the upgrade through the installation assistant instead only to get stopped there because it notices another...
  3. How to stop Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows Update Settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows Update Settings?: Hi there,Running into an issue where Windows 11 gets stuck at 8% downloading when trying to upgrade via Windows Update Settings. To solve this issue I decided to try the upgrade through the installation assistant instead only to get stopped there because it notices another...
  4. How to stop Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows Update Settings?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to stop update for window 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop update for window 10?: Extending update period seems disable until update.I would like to know on how to disable update window 10 without any request to update first.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  6. How to stop update for window 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop update for window 10?: Extending update period seems disable until update.I would like to know on how to disable update window 10 without any request to update first.Does anyone have any suggestions?Thanks in advance...
  7. how to stop window 10 updates

how to stop window 10 updates: I have a Dell computer with Windows 10 and every day there are updates that slow down my system and every single time it goes through the update I receive an error that states the update could not be completed and the updates must be removed and then it takes about an hour...
  8. How to stop windows 10 updates

How to stop windows 10 updates: Hi, I have have been dealing with two Microsoft advisers and none of them have been helpful, as I still have the same issues. I can't believe the way I'm being treated by a global company. All I want to do, is to stop windows from updating on my computer, it,s happening far...
  9. How To Stop Windows 10 upgrades

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How To Stop Windows 10 upgrades: I am running Windows 10, version 1709 and received a update to 1803 and I installed it - big mistake, it killed apps and other things that I want so I rolled back to 1709; the next thing I see is an update to 1803. How to I put a stop to an accidental install of any further...
  10. How to stop Windows 10 1709 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop Windows 10 1709 upgrade?: The other day, I upgraded my computer from Windows 10 1703 to 1709. It broke my display drivers, preventing me from playing Minecraft and also removing the option to put the computer to sleep. No matter what I did, one of them (the GeForce driver) would not get fixed. So I...