Windows 10: How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight

Discus and support How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I have been having issues with Windows updating while my computer is asleep, forcing a restart when I absolutely do not want them. Specifically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by echo445, May 15, 2024.

1. echo445 Win User

How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight

Hello, I have been having issues with Windows updating while my computer is asleep, forcing a restart when I absolutely do not want them. Specifically last night, I had a large amount of incredibly important files downloading, and I put my computer to sleep to allow them to download overnight I do this regularly for this type of download. I also had a large amount of programs open that, since I have anterograde amnesia, I cannot remember by myself all that I had open or needed to have open. When I woke up this morning, I found that my computer had suddenly restarted and updated somewhere dur

:)

echo445, May 15, 2024
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 15, 2024
  3. gmopro Win User
    Power Settings Ignored by Lenovo Yoga 400 laptop

• Did you make any changes to your computer? I dont know.. what kind of changes are you talking about. I only added software.. like Norton Security and a few free MSFT apps.
    • Which Build are you currently in? I dont know..probably the latest one. How do i determine "the build"?? I always update windows and pretty sure this is up to date here.
    • Which troubleshooting steps did you try? Tried everything that was suggested,..power troubleshooter, update graphics card, set power settings to default, and other things.. nothing worked. Has been a problem for many months.
      How do i do this clean boot? I will need instructions for these things..step by step. i am tired of this machine ignoring the power settings. Need this fixed.

gmopro, May 15, 2024
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 15, 2024
Thema:

1. How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight - Similar Threads - stop Update ignoring

2. How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Windows Update ignoring settings and restarting overnight: Hello, I have been having issues with Windows updating while my computer is asleep, forcing a restart when I absolutely do not want them. Specifically last night, I had a large amount of incredibly important files downloading, and I put my computer to sleep to allow them to...
  3. Windows 11 update ignoring paused updates, causing data loss on overnight tasks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update ignoring paused updates, causing data loss on overnight tasks.: Windows 11 is ignoring the Pause Updates feature and installing updates that require restarts, and automatically restarting while the update feature is paused. I pause for 1 week at a time and check for updates manually every Tuesday. To head off the 'you can't postpone...
  4. Windows 11 update ignoring paused updates, causing data loss on overnight tasks.

Windows 11 update ignoring paused updates, causing data loss on overnight tasks.: Windows 11 is ignoring the Pause Updates feature and installing updates that require restarts, and automatically restarting while the update feature is paused. I pause for 1 week at a time and check for updates manually every Tuesday. To head off the 'you can't postpone...
  5. Overnight update changed security settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overnight update changed security settings?: My computer updated overnight last night, and this morning opened to show a Bitlocker pin number requirement screen. I've never even heard of bitlocker before, and wasn't sure why it wouldn't let me past without finding my pin. Afterwards it took me to my home log in page,...
  6. Overnight update changed security settings?

Overnight update changed security settings?: My computer updated overnight last night, and this morning opened to show a Bitlocker pin number requirement screen. I've never even heard of bitlocker before, and wasn't sure why it wouldn't let me past without finding my pin. Afterwards it took me to my home log in page,...
  7. Windows Updates ignore my settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates ignore my settings: It looks like Microsoft is progressively taking away the user control of Windows automatic updates.Initially, I was allowing automatic updates with the requirement to notify me when updates are available - meaning do NOT download and install them automatically. Also, I was...
  8. Windows Updates ignore my settings

Windows Updates ignore my settings: It looks like Microsoft is progressively taking away the user control of Windows automatic updates.Initially, I was allowing automatic updates with the requirement to notify me when updates are available - meaning do NOT download and install them automatically. Also, I was...
  9. Windows Updates ignore my settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. PC Restarting Overnight

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Restarting Overnight: Hi, looking for some advice on my PC. It has been restarting of its own accord intermittently over the last few nights. I've checked Update and it doesn't look like there have been Windows updates put through on either night. I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC and...