Windows 10: How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

Discus and support How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Railroader, Jan 29, 2017.

1. How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple days ago, when I switched back to my local account, it wanted a new user name for the local account, it indicated my original user name was in use. I did not want to change my original user name. Thanks

:)

Railroader, Jan 29, 2017

2. Cannot sign on to my computer unless I have an internet connection. No standalone operations available.

How does one create a local account, in settings? Once done can one switch back and forth between local account and the Microsoft Account?

WillardEndicott, Jan 29, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 29, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

Steve C, Jan 29, 2017
  5. mrgeek Win User
    From the tutorial and recent experience. I would add a '2' or something to name end so you know which acct you're using -

4. Type in a user name, password, and password hint you want for your local account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows [​IMG]
    Note

You will not be able to use a user name that has already been used for existing user profiles, and will have to type a different name instead.

mrgeek, Jan 29, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It sounds like you already have two separate user accounts created on your computer, one using Microsoft Account login and one using local account login. You cannot switch the Microsoft Login account to a local account with the same user name as the local account you have already created. It sounds like what you want to do is combine the user accounts into one local account. You will need to log into the local account you already have created, copy over the data files you want to keep from the Microsoft Account and then delete it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 29, 2017
  7. Mike89 Win User
    OK I am confused by this thread. I decided to go with a Local Account when I clean installed Windows 10 Pro. Been using it for awhile now with only this Local Account. I started thinking about adding a Microsoft Account so I can have the option to go either Local Or Microsoft Account. Are you telling me that once I create and log in with a Microsoft Account that I cannot then go back to my original Local Account with my original user name?

Mike89, May 1, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

As long as you create a new account for the Microsoft Account login, you can log into either the local account or the Microsoft Account as they will be two separate user accounts on the computer.

NavyLCDR, May 1, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "Are you telling me that once I create and log in with a Microsoft Account that I cannot then go back to my original Local Account with my original user name?"

Correct. Think of the Local and MS accounts as two diff users, the Local with access to only that device and the MS across multiple devices. On the other hand, you can SWITCH the Local to a MS with your orig name but you can't have both under that name, they're two diff users. This is obvious if you open Action Center/All settings/Users as the only option is to use either acct option but not both. To switch your Local to an MS account w/o changing your name, follow this tutorial - Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

To ADD an MS acct as a 2nd user, add it in Action Center/All settings/Users/Family & other people and use the 'Add someone else to this PC' option using your MS email account.

mrgeek, May 1, 2017
  10. Mike89 Win User
    Ok, maybe I wasn't phrasing it right. When I said go back, I meant can I log back into my original Local Account (without having to rename it) once I have created an MS account. I took the meaning from the OP that he tried to do that and couldn't.

From what I see, I don't see how it would be possible to have both Local and MS Account under the same name (causing a conflict) cause the username for MS Account is an email address and Local Account is my username.

Mike89, May 1, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You create a local account, called Dave. The username for that account will be Dave. The password for that account will be whatever you pick The folder under Users for that user account will be Dave. You create a second account, entering the email address of L: daveyjones@hotmail.com. The username for that account will be L: daveyjones@hotmail.com. The password for that account will be the same password as for the email account L: daveyjones@hotmail.com. Windows 10 will assign the folder name for that account under Users, it will be a separate user folder, and likely to be davey (the first 5 letters of the email address). The two accounts will remain completely separate from each other on the computer. You can pick which account you want to login to on the login screen.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows - Similar Threads - switch between Local

2. How to switch the local account to Microsoft work or school account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch the local account to Microsoft work or school account.: How to switch the local account to Microsoft work or school account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-switch-the-local-account-to-microsoft-work/1dd16636-c732-4112-a945-76753addce9d
  3. How to switch the local account to Microsoft work or school account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch the local account to Microsoft work or school account.: How to switch the local account to Microsoft work or school account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-switch-the-local-account-to-microsoft-work/1dd16636-c732-4112-a945-76753addce9d
  4. Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Halfway between Local Account and Microsoft Account?: On one of my Windows 10 Pro laptops I sign in with Windows Hello and can choose to enter a pin, fingerprint scan or password. My account username is "Jamie" and my profile folder shares the same name. I do not sign in to Windows with my Microsoft account username and password...
  5. Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connection between local users and Microsoft accounts?: Im trying to improve what I understand about Windows accounts. I know that there is a great deal of information on this Forum, including a number of relevant tutorials, but Im still confused about certain basic matters. 1. Does an Administrator who is set up as a Local...
  6. How to switch from PC local account to Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to switch from PC local account to Microsoft account?: So I wanted to switch from my local account to my Microsoft account, but my microsoft account was already associated with my local account so I couldn't just use the "sign in with microsoft instead" option. Fine. So I created a new local account and made it admin, then...
  7. Switch local account to Microsoft login

Switch local account to Microsoft login: I initially made a local account on my computer, but want to have this account info switched to my Microsoft login without having to manually move all user info. Most online searching mentions a link to "login to Microsoft account", but that is not displayed in my user...
  8. Switch local to microsoft account on windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch local to microsoft account on windows: i'm trying to switch my windows local account to my Microsoft account but after i go to setting>accounts>your_info>sign in with a Microsoft account instead and write down my user name and password i get a message that another user on this device using my Microsoft account...
  9. Can't switch Microsoft account to local account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't switch Microsoft account to local account: Hi! I'm having trouble with changing my account from Microsoft account to local account. When I change it, Windows says: "We are sorry, but something went wrong. Your Microsoft account wasn't changed to local account. Code: 0x80070057" Can anyone help me plz? I'm tired...
  10. Caught between local and Microsoft accounts

Caught between local and Microsoft accounts: One of my Windows 10 systems is in a weird state in between local and Microsoft accounts. 1. There is no "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" or "Sign in with a local account instead" option under Settings/Accounts/Your info. This page shows my local account name,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to switch between accounts in Windows?