Windows 10: How to switch Windows 10 home/PRO licenses between 2 notebook?

Discus and support How to switch Windows 10 home/PRO licenses between 2 notebook? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I own 2 notebooks: The first one (the older one), with the following upgrade history: Windows 7 OEM -> Upgraded to Windows 8.1 PRO with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MXT, Sep 1, 2015.

1. MXT
    MXT Win User

How to switch Windows 10 home/PRO licenses between 2 notebook?

Hi all,

I own 2 notebooks:

The first one (the older one), with the following upgrade history:
    Windows 7 OEM -> Upgraded to Windows 8.1 PRO with a bought and legitimate license -> Upgraded to Windows 10 PRO with free Micorsoft upgrade.

The second one (the new one), with the following upgrade history:
    Windows 8.1 OEM -> Upgraded to Windows 10 HOME with free Microsoft upgrade.

I need to switch the above licenses: I want Windows 10 PRO on my new notebook, and Windows 10 HOME on my old one.

How to do this?

I've tried to contact Microsoft support but they answer me that I have to format and reinstall everything on both PC (see my last post here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-894c88fd8b01 )

Is there anoter more practical solutions? Changing product key or something similar?

Thank you very much for any help.

:)

2. How do I switch licenses between Windows 10 Home and Pro?

Original Title: License Transfer

Hello,

I have two machines, one running windows 10 pro and the other running windows 10 home. How do I switch licenses between the two?

Regards,

Yashas GILGANCHI

YashasGilganchi, Sep 1, 2015
  3. RickShell Win User
    Can I switch Windows 10 between computers (diff versions)

I have two laptops, one with Windows 10 Pro, the other Windows 10 Home, after doing the free upgrade.

Is it possible to switch those licenses between the computers?

RickShell, Sep 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

You can transfer the Purchased Pro Licence - but not the OEM

Kyhi, Sep 1, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You basically have two choices.

1. Go back to original Windows 7 on old notebook and upgrade that directly to Windows 10 Home. Go back to original Windows 8.1 on the new notebook, upgrade that to Windows 8.1 Pro using your purchased upgrade key, upgrade that to Windows 10 Pro.

2. Purchase a Windows 10 Pro Pack (I think it is $119) to upgrade your existing Windows 10 Home on the new notebook to Windows 10 Pro.

Note: Going back to original Windows 7 on old notebook and upgrading that to Windows 10 Home is only required to comply with the End Users License Agreement with Microsoft to free up, legally, the upgrade to Pro that you purchased. Physically, it is not required - nothing will deactivate.

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2015
  6. MXT
    MXT Win User
    Thank you for your answer. So, I cannot obtain my goal. From your answer I can understand that I can change my new notebook Product Key using the Product Key from old notebook, but then I could not use the old notebook after that, unless both notebook can run the same Product Key.

Is this correct?

7. My wife just got a new laptop that she upgraded to Windows 10 Home. We looked through all the differences, and I didn't see anything that a typical user would need on the Pro side, so she's fine with Home. There's no performance or support differences between the two, so do you really need to switch?

DeaconFrost, Sep 1, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You can't change anything in Windows 10 with your old product key because it is for the Windows 8.1 upgrade to Pro, right?

NavyLCDR, Sep 1, 2015
  9. MXT
    MXT Win User
    Thank you too NavyLCDR,

About your first suggestion (point 1): I'm not sure that my purchased Window 8 PRO license would apply on existing Window 8.1 OEM license: I purchased that license as an specific upgrade from Windows 7 to 8...

I'm afraid that the solution 2 is the only practical solution that remains for me... And is hard to me to think that I have to pay another time for a license I already bought in the past...

10. MXT
    MXT Win User
    Yes: I need Hyper-V functionalities...

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would think it would work to upgrade the existing Windows 8.1 OEM license on the new notebook. If you go back to Windows 8.1 on the new notebook, I think it is under ADD Features in control panel. Somewhere in there is the option to Upgrade Now, or something like that. Anyway - you enter the Windows 8/8.1 Pro key there and it will download the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro.

You aren't being required to pay twice for the same license. They are requiring you to use the license that you bought for the purpose that you bought it for. They didn't sell you that license to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - they sold you and you bought that license to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to switch Windows 10 home/PRO licenses between 2 notebook? - Similar Threads - switch home PRO

2. Windows 10 home / Pro Licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 home / Pro Licensing: Hi, Someone in my department has accidentally bought 5 devices with Windows 10 Home on instead of Windows 10 Pro. Are we able to re-image the devices with Windows 10 Pro and then license them using our KMS host and GVLK instead of having to buy a new Windows 10 Pro license...
  3. exchange windows 10 home / pro licenses between 2 laptops

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    exchange windows 10 home / pro licenses between 2 laptops: Dear all, I have 2 different laptops with 2 different Windows 10 licenses: - Laptop A old with Win 10 Professional - Laptop B new with Win 10 Home SL and both licenses are digital licenses on my MS account. Now, I want to exchange these licenses between the 2 laptops...
  4. Switch from unlicensed Windows 10 Home to Licensed Windows 10 Pro

Switch from unlicensed Windows 10 Home to Licensed Windows 10 Pro: I installed Windows 10 Home without a license to get my machine going, but have a Full windows 10 Pro product key to use not an upgrade and want to switch to that without having to reinstall Windows. I know you can go Home -> Pro without a reinstall, but can't figure this...
  5. Switching Windows 10 licenses between two laptops Home license and Pro license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching Windows 10 licenses between two laptops Home license and Pro license: I have a question in regards to migrating windows licenses between laptops. My current laptop has a windows 10 pro license on it. I'm planning to purchase a new laptop that has a windows 10 home license on it. Is it possible to switch licenses around between two different...
  6. Switching Windows 10 Home and Pro

Switching Windows 10 Home and Pro: Hi, I had windows 10 Pro on PC1 and windows 10 Home on PC2. I needed to switch Home and Pro between PC1 and PC2 i.e PC1 to have Home and PC2 to have Pro. I created Windows 10 Home USB flash bootable drive from PC2. Installed Windows 10 Home on PC1 from USB drive. I had...
  7. Windows 10 home and pro switch???

Windows 10 home and pro switch???: I have a Surface pro 4 with Windows 10 pro on it that is on its last legs because of major physical abuse. So I just bought a new Surface pro 7 and that has Windows 10 home on it. What I would like to know is can I swap the licenses on the two and put pro an the new one and...
  8. Switch Windows Home license

Switch Windows Home license: Hi I have 2 Surface, one with Windows 10 Home and the other Windows 10 Professional. Now I would like to switch the license from one surface to the other, what are the steps? Many thanks and Regards, Francesco...
  9. Switch Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switch Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi! If I upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Professional - will I lose all of my saved passwords in Chrome? I am upgrading in order to get Outlook. Do I even have to upgrade? Every time I try to use Outlook, it's an hour lost and I'm back where I've started and I've been told...
  10. Switch licenses in Windows 10 - from Home to Pro

Switch licenses in Windows 10 - from Home to Pro: I've recently bought a notebook which came with Windows 10 Home. In my Microsoft device list, I also have an inactive Windows 10 Pro licence from another notebook which I wiped and installed linux over. Can I use that inactive (not marked as so, though) licence and add it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to switch windows licenses on two computers

2. how to switch windows licences between machines