Windows 10: How to tell from hardware (USB PCi card) what drivers I need?

Discus and support How to tell from hardware (USB PCi card) what drivers I need? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello I am having major issues (not working) with my USB 2 & 3 PCi cards since upgrading to Windows 10 (from Windows 7). These cards both worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by larrens, Aug 7, 2016.

1. larrens Win User

How to tell from hardware (USB PCi card) what drivers I need?

hello

I am having major issues (not working) with my USB 2 & 3 PCi cards since upgrading to Windows 10 (from Windows 7).

These cards both worked perfectly, now in Win10 I get a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager and anything plugged into these ports doesn't work.

I assume its because I need the Win10 drivers.
    I don't know who manufactured the cards anymore and don't have the user manual. I can open the PC up and inspect the cards.

Is there a way I can I see from the chipset or any other way on the card who made it or what drivers I need?

I didn't expect something as common as a USB card to not have drivers in the common Win10 updates.

I am curious to know if anyone else has had similar issues with USB cards??

thanks

:)

larrens, Aug 7, 2016

2. Supported? Windows 10 with USB 3.0 PCI adapter

I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 but had to rollback to 7 since I couldn't get Win 10 to see my external USB 3.0 drives. Actually they were seen immediately following the upgrade, but after rebooting they are no longer seen.

I have a PCI card which has a Renesas chipset for USB 3.0. Using my Renesas CD, I reinstalled the drivers a couple of times. Device Manager indicated that my USB controller had up to date drivers but that there was no PCI driver for my card. Also, there
    was no rollback driver option for USB or PCI -> it was working immediately following the upgrade.

Also, I wasn't able to see all of the options I saw on Win 7 when I used the installation CD. Normally when inserting the CD I get the option to install a PXI version of the card or a 2-port PCI version of the card. Now I just get a message that said old
    drivers were deleted and new ones were installed.

I checked the website of Renesas but didn't see any Win 10 USB 3.0 drivers. So, before I give Windows 10 another shot I'd like to know if there are any USB 3.0 PCI cards which have been deemed to be compatible with the OS for use with external HDDs. I looked
    around online but didn't find any that listed drivers beyond Win 8.1

My USB 3.0 external drives are WD Passport which are bus powered. Since my PC is old it only has native USB 2.0, so I need a USB 3.0 PCI adapter card.

What USB 3.0 PCI adapter card can I go out and purchase and expect to have it work with my PC?

-

darksquare, Aug 7, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Windows 10 decided Memory Card Slot is a USB port, can't update driver or read cards.

As you were previously informed, the card reader IS a USB device. The fact that you can't readily remove it and reinsert it isn't evidence to the contrary. Because (a) the cards will work properly in a different computer and (b) the system is telling you
    that there's a hardware problem, it means that there's a hardware problem.

JimWynne, Aug 7, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

Regarding your thread title,

I would use the hardware ID's to figure that out,

How to tell from hardware (USB PCi card) what drivers I need? [​IMG]

From those you get a Vendor and Device ID,

Code: PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_84671043&REV_00[/quote] Those 4 characters can then be input here,

PCI Vendor and Device Lists

Which will almost always give enough info to find the drivers you need.

derekimo, Aug 7, 2016
  5. larrens Win User
    Great - thanks for the advice

Those 4 characters can then be input here,

PCI Vendor and Device Lists

Which will almost always give enough info to find the drivers you need.[/quote]

larrens, Aug 7, 2016
  6. derekimo Win User
    You're welcome, if you have any trouble you can post the hardware ID's and I'm sure we can find something for you.

derekimo, Aug 7, 2016
  7. larrens Win User
    Hi Derekimo

Thanks for the help, but I have 1 more question.

I looked up the hardware ID, but then struggled to find a driver. (Its a Via Tech USB card & Via's website does not have drivers for USB cards that I can see).

1) Vendor 1106 & Device ID 3104
    2) Vendor 1106 & Device ID 3038

Anyway you can point me to a Windows10 driver that will work?

Thanks

larrens, Aug 8, 2016
  8. How to tell from hardware (USB PCi card) what drivers I need?

Have you tried running Windows Update? You can always Google the brand and model of the card to find Windows 10 drivers, if they exist. PCIDatabase.com will either have links to the drivers, or give you the name to use in Google.

DeaconFrost, Aug 8, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    Many Windows 7 Drivers also work in Win10

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to tell from hardware (USB PCi card) what drivers I need? - Similar Threads - tell hardware USB

2. Pci Bus drivers messing with my Radeon graphic card drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pci Bus drivers messing with my Radeon graphic card drivers: I have a recurring problem, many SVG elements aren't rendering properly, for example on the Xbox game bar: [ATTACH] I reinstall my Radeon graphic card drivers both new and old and the problem is fixed, the SVGs render properly, until I restart or shutdown. As soon as I...
  3. PCI Simple Communications Controller Driver needed

PCI Simple Communications Controller Driver needed: I need a PCI Simple Communications Controller Driver and a Video Controller driver. I have a Compaq 6005 Pro and I'm trying to update a new hard drive. I get error code 28...
  4. Please suggest a 5.1 pci or usb sound card for pc

Please suggest a 5.1 pci or usb sound card for pc: hi, i have a motheboard Asus H110M-CS i want to get real surround sound output from my pc, so i need a good sound card, internal or external no matter, please help to find out thanks in advance 157744
  5. When installing from a USB how can I easily tell what version it is on the USB by using...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When installing from a USB how can I easily tell what version it is on the USB by using...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/goar101reddit [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvyl3n/when_installing_from_a_usb_how_can_i_easily_tell/
  6. pci driver.

pci driver.: Hi I cannot for the life of me update my pci driver, the error codes I get are....0000001c. and the usual 28. my op system is windows 10 pro. with i7 2nd gen . The hardware for the pci slot says im using pci\ven_8086&dev_1c3d&subsys_04931025&rev_04...…etc etc..Can anyone...
  7. How can I figure out what driver my wifi card needs?

How can I figure out what driver my wifi card needs?: Hi, I believe there is a problem with my wifi network card driver. How can I determine what card I have and what driver I need to download? Thank you 67111
  8. TV Tuner PCI Card USB ATSC no longer working

TV Tuner PCI Card USB ATSC no longer working: I've looked high and low for weeks now to get this solved once and for all. I have a Asus PS3-110-NAQ Hybrid, and a Microtune ATSC/NTSC capture USB device. Both worked just fine up until recently. I use two DVR programs, Blaze HDTV v6.0 and SichboPVR - not at the same...
  9. PCI Express X1 USB 2.0 Card with USB 10 Pin

PCI Express X1 USB 2.0 Card with USB 10 Pin: I am looking for a PCI Express X1 USB 2.0 card that has an internal pin out like shown in the attached picture (in yellow). I need this so I can add an extra USB panel to my computer but do not have space left on my board for USB ports. Any recommendations? I prefer X1 type...
  10. USB PCI 4 port card stopped responding

USB PCI 4 port card stopped responding: Added a four port internal USB 3 pci expansion card a few weeks ago. It no longer is resoponding to items plugged into it. Had a notice on windows a week or so ago something like Windows has shut down a device/or something to protect your PC. I'm assuming it was the card...