Windows 10: how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install

Discus and support how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is there any way to tell if a pc has been upgraded to windows 10 or clean install. thanks 33893 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by reddwarf4ever, Dec 14, 2015.

1. how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install

Is there any way to tell
    if a pc has been upgraded to windows 10 or clean install.
    thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Dec 14, 2015

2. How to install app

on the store my phone lumia 620

[Moved from Internet Explorer 10]

how to install app, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Dec 14, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install

At the search box type winver > Enter
    The popup box show s you what you have.
    The following is just one of many ways to tell if it is a clean install...........................
    If it is a clean install and you have not installed any programs afterwards, your Programs and Features will have nothing on it.
    If it is an in-place upgrade, Programs and Features will list all the programs you have had installed from your previous OS.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  5. ran winver and got windows 10 - 10240
    wanted to know if this was an upgrade or clean install, not sure this tells me ...

6. strollin Win User
    An upgrade will have a folder called Windows.old on the C: drive, a clean install won't.

This isn't fool proof, someone could have done the upgrade and then deleted the Windows.old folder. I also believe that the Windows.old folder gets deleted by the OS after 30 days.

strollin, Dec 14, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Have you read the rest of my reply after " winver " ?

P.S. You are a little behind on the Windows version.
    We are now currently running version 10586.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  8. how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install

Windows.old gets deleted after 30 days. That's good to hear. Hopefully mine will go soon. Mine was a clan install new PC that came with windows 10 already on it. The TH2 update dumped that Windows.old folder on the machine and it's gnawing at about 20 gb of space which is annoying. I cannot remember when TH2 landed on my desktop but I guess it must be around 3 or 4 weeks ago. Will be good to get that space back. I know Disk cleanup could of done it but it's nice it will do it automatically

Scottyboy99, Dec 14, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Please do wait to see if Windows.old will be deleted after 30 days.
    That has been my understanding too, but I never waited that long to find out. I just manually deleted it every time.
    I have read somewhere in this forum that it is not deleted automatically after 30 days.
    I'd love to know for sure.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  10. Ok thanks, yes I will wait. I hope it does. I have always avoided manually doing it. I know highly unlikely but I worried deletion would unsettle something in the system so prefer windows does itself. I guess if it doesn't delete I can afford the 20 gb approx. that it takes up as I guess it gives a rollback option (although I do take regular images via Windows Backup). What would be sole destroying though is if everytime there is a threshold update it creates another windows.old. So you end up with Windows.old, Windows2.old, Windows3.old etc taking up loads of space and forcing the user to take action. Not a problem for those of us who know but for the benefit of many users who don't traverse forums and aren't computer literate it would be good to be sure of what happens. Trouble is Windows 10 hasn't been going long enough to know the pattern.

Scottyboy99, Dec 14, 2015
  11. yes I did, this has been used since windows 10 so dont know if was upgraded or new install, windows.old filder gone but might have been deleted.....thanks

12. davidhk Win User
    OK. Thank you for replying back.
    If you view your Programs and Features, can you not tell which programs were installed long ago, before the current version ?

Just curious. Why is it necessary to know if it was an upgrade or clean install ?

Thank you.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  13. how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install

Hi
    I was having trouble with not being able to pin apps to the start memu...only on the PC not the laptop....couldnt remeber if i clean installed the
    aptip or upgradd......but after doing a full update on the PC all is now well, so really doesnt matter now, was just looking for reasons..

thanks for your help

14. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    Happy computing.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    In addition you can tell by looking in the registry. If you upgraded there will be a key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade if your system has been upgraded. If it is clean install it will not exist. Note that upgrading from 10240 to 10586 counts also as an upgrade.

There are some pictures describing it in more detail in the 2. Edit Registry section of this tutorial Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install

1. how to tell if pc upgraded to windows 10 or clean install - Similar Threads - tell upgraded clean

2. Can someone tell me how to get a clean install of windows 10 onto a PC with windows 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can someone tell me how to get a clean install of windows 10 onto a PC with windows 7?: i'm trying to install windows 10 onto a pc with windows 7 and have gotten the following message..."the system registry contains invalid file paths. Installation cannot proceed. This system image was applied without guaranteeing that drive-letter assignments would match across...
  3. Can someone tell me how to get a clean install of windows 10 onto a PC with windows 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can someone tell me how to get a clean install of windows 10 onto a PC with windows 7?: i'm trying to install windows 10 onto a pc with windows 7 and have gotten the following message..."the system registry contains invalid file paths. Installation cannot proceed. This system image was applied without guaranteeing that drive-letter assignments would match across...
  4. Can someone tell me how to get a clean install of windows 10 onto a PC with windows 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  6. How clean is a windows 10 clean install?

How clean is a windows 10 clean install?: I just went through two days of reading up on doing a Windows 10 "clean " reinstall from installation Media from THIS site (the reason was that after a system re-set my entire laptop was an explosion of every virus I've ever heard of. The reason for that:? AVAST, what else?...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ?

Windows 10 upgrade is full clean installation ?: I had windows 8.1 pro original dvd installed on my system. Then I upgraded free to windows 10. Now I want to make a new clean installation of windows 10 without keeping old files and directories and apps on c:\ So I downloaded the Microsoft windows 10 media creation...
  8. Clean install on upgraded Windows 10

Clean install on upgraded Windows 10: Hello folks, I tried to perform a clean install on the very first instance at the time of 'upgrade' but since it didn't work. I had to upgrade it on existing windows 7 installation. Now the machine is so slow that constantly it shows 100% disk usage. I tried every possible...
  9. Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.

Clean install of Windows 10 without upgrading.: Hello guys, when W10 first came out, I upgraded it from Win 8.1 to 10. Now, I want to make a clean install of W10, and I was wondering If I could use my W8.1 key. I mean, not installing 8.1 and upgrading, just installing W10 and putting the cd key, since I have it...
  10. Win 10 Upgrade, How to tell

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Upgrade, How to tell: I've just booted up a HTPC and i've clicked on the 10 upgrade, but was wondering if there's anything i can check to see if it is downloading the files? 53296