Windows 10: How to Transfer User Profile to Another User

Discus and support How to Transfer User Profile to Another User in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is there a way to create a new users account on the same PC such that it will have access to the same program and document files as an existing users... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bill77056, Nov 18, 2016.

1. bill77056 Win User

How to Transfer User Profile to Another User

Is there a way to create a new users account on the same PC such that it will have access to the same program and document files as an existing users account?

Local Users
    Administrator, DISABLED, Member of Administrators
    DefaultAccount , DISABLED, Member of Users
    Guest, DISABLED, Member of n/a
    boss Member of Administrators
    bill Member of Users < this is a Microsoft account
    new Member of Users

The goal is to delete the bill users account. This account has been around since win7 and perhaps before. Profile size is 4 GB. Files are distributed on both the C: and S: drives.

It would be desired to have the new users account fully functional before deleting the old users account.

Thanks…Bill

:)

bill77056, Nov 18, 2016
  2. Pedja Win User

USer profile switching to another user interface on Windows 10 computer.

Original Title: Windows 10 User Profile disappeared

Hi, I had a very bad experience with my laptop lately. Namely, I upgraded it to Windows 10 and it worked fine for some time. Then, all of a sudden, my profile became empty, no documents, different desktop etc. I noticed that under Users folder, it created
    out of nothing a new profile for the same user. Before, it was my nickname (short name) and now it created my full name folder. Luckily, I found documents in the "old profile" with my nickname. But, what happened after couple of weeks is that all of a sudden
    it decided to move back to my "old profile" (folder name with my nickname) and totally deleted the "new profile" (with my full name). This change was definitely destructive as it deleted all files I created in these two weeks and switched back to my profile
    as it was couple of weeks ago. Users folder doesn't have a "new profile" anymore, it simply vanished. I tried to run undeleter, but it couldn't find the old profile.

Does anybody have any advice or explanation? Maybe something to do with local vs. Microsoft accounts? Thanks.

Pedja, Nov 18, 2016
  3. USer profile switching to another user interface on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Pedja,

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• How many user profiles are managed on the computer?
    • Are you facing the above issue on a personal computer or a shared computer?
    • Have you ever converted the current user account to Microsoft account?

I suggest you to take backup of all the data saved in the system on an external drive due to the behavior exhibited by the computer.

For observation purpose, I suggest you to create another user account and check if similar issue persists after one week or more. Refer to
    Set up accounts article to create a new user account on the computer.

The corrupted user profile does not function normally such as not launching
    Start menu, Cortana, Search bar, Store and other
    Windows applications. In such cases creating a new profile and checking for the same will help in identifying if the is specific to corrupted user profile or the OS.

Write to us with the smashers to the above questions and the status of user profile switching to another user screens on the computer in the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, see

How to Transfer User Profile to Another User [​IMG]

(The screenshot is Win 10).

Suggest e.g.
    a. create new empty profile with parameters as needed
    b. copy profile to it
    c. log in and test new profile making sure you have access to all programs, desktop, files....
    d. delete original profile

Recommend: back up before making changes.
    We strongly recommend disk imaging: Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage.

From what I've read and see, you can't copy the profile you're currently using.

dalchina, Nov 18, 2016
Thema:

1. How to Transfer User Profile to Another User - Similar Threads - Transfer User Profile

2. How do I clone/transfer a user profile to a new user profile on the SAME pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I clone/transfer a user profile to a new user profile on the SAME pc?: When I bought a new PC a few years ago I set up the user profile under my Microsoft account. Then covid happened and my son ended up relying on it for school. So everything on that user profile is now all his settings. Now that I am needing to start using the PC, I don’t want...
  3. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving user profile to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  4. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving user profile to another drive: Hi,My daughter bought an HP Notebook 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC SSD because the price was ridiculously low, but after a couple of months she'd filled up C:\drive and the notebook was unusable. Of course the job of "fixing" became mine. No problem I though since it had a microSD...
  5. Moving user profile to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. How to transfer user profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to transfer user profile: Greetings, I'm in the process of transferring from my previous computer to the new one. An old Windows 10 to a new one. I would like to know how to transfer my profile, preferences (my settings, my default programs, etc) and my games on the store. Is there any way to do so...
  7. Cannot create another user profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot create another user profile: I tried to create another user other than family, but when I click on other user, nothing happens. My windows is legit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-another-user-profile/2240b61c-82e7-4100-9b77-39c57026b36b
  8. Transfer Windows OEM license to another user profile

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows OEM license to another user profile: Hi, I have a laptop, which came with a Windows 10 OEM license. It is now activated in my windows live account or something like that. If I reinstall the OS completely and log in on this laptop, no new activation is needed. This is fine. But soon I will buy a new laptop, and...
  9. Linking another user profile path to the current user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Linking another user profile path to the current user profile: Hi guys, A couple of days ago, I saw my friend being able to log in without password and I was eager to set it too so I went online to search for the way and end up going into win + r and type in netplwiz which brings up user account. I click on edit and accidentally hit on...
  10. Cannot add another User profile..

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot add another User profile..: I started a clean install yesterday and after today I am trying to install another user profile. I went to settings; Accounts; Family and other users; Add someone else to this PC; and all I get is "Something went wrong". Any ideas? 30055