Windows 10: How to turn off Cortana auto web search ?

Discus and support How to turn off Cortana auto web search ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I type in cortana to search my PC, for ex: task manager..I get a stack of web site results from the web also. How do I disable the web search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by asusG, Apr 16, 2017.

1. asusG Win User

How to turn off Cortana auto web search ?

When I type in cortana to search my PC, for ex: task manager..I get a stack of web site results from the web also.
    How do I disable the web search option on cortana , to just search PC ?
    If I want to search web I will use google.*Smilethanks

15063.138 / 1703 win10

:)

asusG, Apr 16, 2017

2. can't get search to work on windows 10

Turn off Cortana and turn off search the web.

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Apr 16, 2017
  3. IE 11 IN win10

Thanks, I'm way past knowing how to turn windows features on and off.

I was having trouble with the Cortana search of my computer and web. the web search always went on Bing using explorer 11 instead of Edge browser. I turned off the IE11 and it would not search the web at all. I finally reset the edge browser and Cortana
    search started using the edge browser as it should. I went back to turn on IE11 and it is not there to turn on? I need the IE11 because Edge will not except the add-on needed to view my CCTV remotely.

JamesYoung5, Apr 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You can try this:
    2 Ways to Disable Cortana Web Search in Windows 10 | Password Recovery
    as you have Win 10 Pro.

This is a setting about which MS has been ambivalent- now you see it, now you don't. Maybe that's changed again with the Creator's Upgrade.

If you want proper consistent control of that, change the start menu and use Classic Shell (free).

How to turn off Cortana auto web search ? [​IMG]

How to turn off Cortana auto web search ? [​IMG]

dalchina, Apr 16, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @asusG, *Smile

We used to be able to disable Cortana Web search in Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

The setting has been removed in Cortana settings in Windows 10 Creators Update, and the group policy option no longer works.

Currently the only way to disable Web search is to disable Cortana. This will allow only a search on the local PC.

Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Apr 17, 2017
  6. asusG Win User
    Hi dalchina ,Thanks for the help. Now I don't see setting as you thought I wouldn't *Smile

Hello Brink , I will disable Cortana as you advised step 6 next time I boot into 10, thank you for clearing this up *Smile

asusG, Apr 18, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to turn off Cortana auto web search ? - Similar Threads - turn off Cortana

2. How to turn off the "web" part of the search button in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off the "web" part of the search button in the taskbar?: I do not really like the "web" section of the search thing in the taskbar. So I want to know how to turn it off. Thank You!Another thing I want to disable is this:...
  3. How to turn off the "web" part of the search button in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off the "web" part of the search button in the taskbar?: I do not really like the "web" section of the search thing in the taskbar. So I want to know how to turn it off. Thank You!Another thing I want to disable is this:...
  4. How to turn off "Search the Web" results in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off "Search the Web" results in Windows 11: When you run searches on Windows 11 from the operating system's Start Menu, you will get local results as well as web-based results powered by Bing by default. Microsoft introduced web search functionality in Windows 10 and has kept the feature in Windows 11. Many Windows 11...
  5. Cortana web search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana web search: Is there any way I can change Cortana settings so when I search for something it brings up a new tab in Google Chrome, not Microsoft Edge with bing. My default search engine is Google Chrome but it still opens up a new tab in Microsoft Edge. submitted by /u/DATBOI___...
  6. Cortana not searching the web

in Cortana
    Cortana not searching the web: Cortana searches files instead of searching the web. E.x searching up 12431x3 it will show files named '12431x3' if it doesn't find files it will show "no result" . It used to search the web and bring up a calculator instead of searching files....
  7. How to disable search the web option in Search/Cortana?

in Cortana
    How to disable search the web option in Search/Cortana?: How do you disable "search the web" in search/Cortana? ***Modified title from: Search*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-search-the-web-option-in/27e0c3a8-c337-49d7-8416-5c7dd8d9dc4f"
  8. How to disable cortanas web search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable cortanas web search?: I just reinstalled and theres no option in her settings to turn off the web search she does when you search for files on your pc and such. How else could I turn it off if its not listed in her settings? 24449
  9. Can't turn off "Search online and include web results" (Cortana)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't turn off "Search online and include web results" (Cortana): Hi, ever since I installed the windows anniversary update I haven't been able to disable the "Search online and include web results" in Cortana settings. When I turn it off the next time I check the setting its just turned itself back on again... Having this setting enabled...
  10. Cortana web searches not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana web searches not opening: Does it still do this when you have Microsoft Edge set as your default web browser? Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials Yeah, it still doesn't work.