Windows 10: How to understand folders in Windows 10

Discus and support How to understand folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd like to understand folder setups on my 2 Win10 computers --- I suppose they follow the same idea as Win7 & Win8 but I never understood them I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jul 4, 2016.

1. How to understand folders in Windows 10

I'd like to understand folder setups on my 2 Win10 computers
    --- I suppose they follow the same idea as Win7 & Win8 but I never understood them

I unhid the Libraries in Win10 as the instructions to do so are available

So now my documents & pictures folders appear to me to be in 2 locations
    --- In This PC & in Libraries
    --- Even though working with them isn't the issue what I'd like to know is there an explanation on why those same documents & pictures are in 2 locations if that is the case?
    --- I'm not doing Music or Videos yet: will the same pattern apply to them when I want to do them?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 4, 2016

2. How to update Windows 10 Pro

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)

How To Update Windows 10 Pro, Jul 4, 2016
  3. subsci Win User
    File History does not backup all files

As I understand File History, one can specify additional folders to backup. These folders are not being backed up. Why? Is it because the folder contains the wrong file type? How about answering how to make File History work, rather than Windows 7
    backup (which is great to have on Windows 10)?

subsci, Jul 4, 2016
  4. RonCFL Win User

How to understand folders in Windows 10

You can pick what to open :

How to understand folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]

RonCFL, Jul 4, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The Documents folder (and others) in Libraries are just shortcuts to the real folders which are located under C:\Users\<Username>\.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    When I first got into computers a couple of years ago, a very wise man told me that file management was 90% of everything I need to know about computers. I really believe its true.

You are free to organize your files and folders in any manner that you want. Remember that there are actually two very distinct aspects of file/folder management; physical and metaphysical.

The physical aspect is really the easiest aspect to wrap your mind around, this relates to physical drives. I highly recommend that you back up all of your files/folders in at least one extra hard drive, more if you can.

The metaphysical aspect of file/folder management is often the hardest to conceptualize and initiate. This is actually file/folder naming and organizing. The whole string of C:/ document//vacation or whatever is part of a hierarchy that you really need to understand in order to not lose control of your files/folders.

But you are in charge and can organize your files/folders anyway that makes sense to you.

Request Rejected

Rocky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to understand folders in Windows 10

1. How to understand folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - understand folders

2. Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences: So it's been brought to my attention that there's "two different microsoft anti-virus programs". One is free, and come pre-installed, and one comes with the Microsoft Office 365 pack, which is payed. I noticed this due to me being able to open microsoft through settings on my...
  3. Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different microsoft defenders!? One free, one paid - Please help me understand the differences: So it's been brought to my attention that there's "two different microsoft anti-virus programs". One is free, and come pre-installed, and one comes with the Microsoft Office 365 pack, which is payed. I noticed this due to me being able to open microsoft through settings on my...
  4. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  5. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  6. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can anyone help me understand this minidump please?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help me understand this minidump please?: Please see the attached file through this link.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--uZ07fAsW6W1nEZLY0fKXLjVhb_rASd/view?usp=sharingIt caused DPC Watchdog Violation Error BSOD....
  8. Can anyone help me understand this minidump please?

Can anyone help me understand this minidump please?: Please see the attached file through this link.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--uZ07fAsW6W1nEZLY0fKXLjVhb_rASd/view?usp=sharingIt caused DPC Watchdog Violation Error BSOD....
  9. Could someone help me with understanding why my PC crashed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could someone help me with understanding why my PC crashed?: Hello,Recently, while playing Helldivers 2, my PC full crashed and would not come back online for a little bit. This is not the first time this has happened either, though it has now taken me this long to finally say enough cause I'm beyond annoyed especially since I also...
  10. Could someone help me with understanding why my PC crashed?

Could someone help me with understanding why my PC crashed?: Hello,Recently, while playing Helldivers 2, my PC full crashed and would not come back online for a little bit. This is not the first time this has happened either, though it has now taken me this long to finally say enough cause I'm beyond annoyed especially since I also...