Windows 10: How to uninstall a theme on win 10?

Discus and support How to uninstall a theme on win 10? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I know how to uninstall programs and such, however, I have a theme that is called AlienwareRed, and I can't find where the uninstall is for it. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by llanita, Feb 23, 2016.

1. llanita Win User

How to uninstall a theme on win 10?

I know how to uninstall programs and such, however, I have a theme that is called AlienwareRed, and I can't find where the uninstall is for it. This theme changed all the icons etc,.
    I've changed the theme to a different one, but the icons are still the ones from AlienwareRed, so I'd like to uninstall it.
    I can't find it in Uninstall Programs.

:)

llanita, Feb 23, 2016
  2. JMUNOZ85 Win User

anybody know how to uninstall a theme on Tmobile shadow??

I downloaded a theme on Windows mobile but seems that after installing that red neptune theme my phone is acting weird. Does anybody know how to unistall this theme???

JMUNOZ85, Feb 23, 2016
  3. anybody know how to uninstall a theme on Tmobile shadow??

if you used an installer to install the theme use the remove programs utility in settings to remove them. Else, open File Explorer and go to Application data\Home folder. Locate the theme and delete it.

Linley Meslier, Feb 23, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

It should be listed under 'SkinPacks Alienred'.
    Choose uninstall/all categories.

Edwin, Feb 23, 2016
  5. llanita Win User
    It's not there under Uninstall Programs. When I do a search in Windows Explorer for Skinpack Alienred I get the .exe file but that's it.
    Then I see it under Personalization, but right-clicking doesn't give me the option to uninstall. I can delete it but that won't change the icons etc.

llanita, Feb 23, 2016
  6. Go to : C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

This is the directory where all windows themes and custom themes are installed to, Before going there what you want to do is select another theme other than the one you want to uninstall, I usually select the default Windows theme, then reboot so that the theme you are going to uninstall is removed from memory, if you do not reboot it will remain in memory and will not be able to fully delete it.
    After rebooting go to the directory above and delete the corresponding .theme file and the entire folder associated with it. I don't use skinpacks and personally wouldn't touch them with a twenty foot stick, I manually install all of my themes but I am assuming that the theme file would be named something like AlienwareRed.theme and the theme folder named the same or something real similar without a .theme extension.

After that the theme should be entirely removed and you will no longer see it on your personalization page.

If there are still remnants of the theme left over after you deleted everything, like icons and such, you will have to open an elevated command prompt ( right clicking on cmd and select run as administrator) and run the command sfc \scannow after running the scan (it will take a little while) you should see if it has found errors, if it did it will tell you the errors will be fixed on the next reboot, close the cmd window and reboot. That should ensure everything is removed, if not, I am sorry to say you will need to do a system restore or reset.

In the future I would steer clear of such things like Skinpacks and such and learn how to manually install themes yourself, if a theme artist cannot supply you with just the .theme file and the folder that goes with it then I would not install it, NO MATTER how bad assed the theme looked, installing themes from an .exe file just leaves the door wide open to something nasty being installed on your system or changes being made that you really did not want changed.
    Now, I'm not saying that this is what Skinpacks is doing but personally when it comes to custom themes I want to know exactly what is being installed on my system , not all theme artists are alike, some are very good and can be trusted while others not so good and I wouldn't trust them as far as I can spit.

Dark Knight, Feb 23, 2016
  7. SonicBlue Win User
    Actually themes are installed to the user theme folder. C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes
    You can delete any theme safely here. But it will not change your Icons. You can do that yourself by right clicking and selecting Properties.

SonicBlue, Feb 24, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

The skin pack probably included an icon packager (iPack),
    it should have an uninstaller somewhere.

Edwin, Feb 24, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    And what about running sfc /scannow
    Most 3rd party themes are turned off that way.
    Beware though, if its, patched, there is a possibility that your system will go
    How to uninstall a theme on win 10? [​IMG]

and if you haven't created a system image BEFORE installing the theme, you might have to reinstall Windows. @Edwin can tell you about this from many many experiments/experiences.*chuckle

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2016
  10. llanita Win User
    Thank you all so much for the help. I appreciate it. you've been a great help

llanita, Feb 24, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You're most welcome.

Cliff S, Feb 24, 2016
  12. I need help i un installed alienware skinpack, But I still have it. Idk why this is happening i need a little help.

srdjanclopeZHD, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to uninstall a theme on win 10? - Similar Threads - uninstall theme

2. Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder: I am installing a newer version of Office on my Windows 11 PC. I ran the uninstall app and also used the MS Recovery Assistant tool to remove Office 2016. I ran the tool after running the uninstall app and the tool still found leftover Office files and removed them. However,...
  3. Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstalled Office 2016, but Office files still exist in the Program Files>WindowsApps folder: I am installing a newer version of Office on my Windows 11 PC. I ran the uninstall app and also used the MS Recovery Assistant tool to remove Office 2016. I ran the tool after running the uninstall app and the tool still found leftover Office files and removed them. However,...
  4. can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling: Hi i can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling it and don't know what to do to fix it,i've tried some things i've seen online but i can't get it to work.This is the message i get when trying to reinstall it.the procedure entry point av_buffer_create could not be located in...
  5. can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling

can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling: Hi i can't reinstall Discord after uninstalling it and don't know what to do to fix it,i've tried some things i've seen online but i can't get it to work.This is the message i get when trying to reinstall it.the procedure entry point av_buffer_create could not be located in...
  6. Alfa WiFi adapter is "not connected" and I cannot get it to connect; a solution uninstall...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alfa WiFi adapter is "not connected" and I cannot get it to connect; a solution uninstall...: When using Alfa's products, the original bundled WiFi software included with a computer sometimes interferes with Alfa's software. Uninstall the Intell or whatever brank WiFi software. Do not uninstall the factory WiFi driver. Reboot. Uninstall Alfa's software. Reboot....
  7. Alfa WiFi adapter is "not connected" and I cannot get it to connect; a solution uninstall...

Alfa WiFi adapter is "not connected" and I cannot get it to connect; a solution uninstall...: When using Alfa's products, the original bundled WiFi software included with a computer sometimes interferes with Alfa's software. Uninstall the Intell or whatever brank WiFi software. Do not uninstall the factory WiFi driver. Reboot. Uninstall Alfa's software. Reboot....
  8. I see no sign of progress in by unistalling task while uninstalling what could be the issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I see no sign of progress in by unistalling task while uninstalling what could be the issue: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-no-sign-of-progress-in-by-unistalling-task/62a9945d-65c1-45b5-a42a-86528adf0968
  9. I see no sign of progress in by unistalling task while uninstalling what could be the issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I see no sign of progress in by unistalling task while uninstalling what could be the issue: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-see-no-sign-of-progress-in-by-unistalling-task/62a9945d-65c1-45b5-a42a-86528adf0968
  10. Install/Uninstall programs control panel dark theme problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Install/Uninstall programs control panel dark theme problem: Hello.Yesterday, I updated my windows to 1903 version. Everything is up to date.I realise after turning to dark theme this problem. Everything is okay in dark theme even the file explorer, except this. It's very difficult to read the names of the programs. Is there any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to uninstall themes win10