Windows 10: How to uninstall Apps using Powershell

Discus and support How to uninstall Apps using Powershell in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Many of the Universal Apps cannot be uninstalled because the button is inactive (grayed out). This might be 'by design' for the Technical Preview since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Slartybart, Jun 16, 2015.

1. How to uninstall Apps using Powershell

Many of the Universal Apps cannot be uninstalled because the button is inactive (grayed out). This might be 'by design' for the Technical Preview since Microsoft wants users to test the Apps.

The preferred method is to use the uninstall button when it is active. The list below provides a way to uninstall an App when the button is NOT active.

Launch an elevated PowerShell (Right click - Run as Administrator ...)

Copy the command for the App you want to remove from the list below and paste it into the PowerShell window

Example:
    To remove the Calculator App, copy the entire line under the App name
    Calculator
    Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1505.29000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

How to uninstall Apps using Powershell [​IMG]

The -Confirm parameter lets you to decide if you want to remove the App [ Yes ] or cancel the operation [ No ]
    Code: Alarms Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1505.12000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Calculator Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_10.1505.29000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Camera Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsCamera_5.31.1.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Contact Support Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Windows.ContactSupport_10.0.3.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy Get Started Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.Getstarted_2.1.1.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Insider Hub Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.Windows.InsiderHub_1000.10130.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy MS Solitaire Collection Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection_3.1.5151.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Maps Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsMaps_4.1505.50523.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Music Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.ZuneMusic_3.6.10681.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe OneNote Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.Office.OneNote_17.4201.10031.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Photos Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.Windows.Photos_15.610.18180.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Reading List Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsReadingList_6.3.9654.20540_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Scan Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsScan_6.3.9654.17133_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Sound Recorder Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder_10.1505.11000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Sports Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.BingSports_4.3.123.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe Video Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.ZuneVideo_3.6.10801.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Weather Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.BingWeather_4.3.123.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe Windows Feedback Remove-AppxPackage -Confirm -Package Microsoft.WindowsFeedback_1000.10130.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy[/quote]

:)

Slartybart, Jun 16, 2015
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Uninstall Photo app by using Powershell command

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for posting your response.

I apologize for the miscommunication. Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• 1. Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.

2. Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

3. Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

• get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage ( check the spacing)
    After performing the above steps, install the Photo app from the Windows store.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Uninstall Photo app by using Powershell command

Thanks for your help. It was the spacing that was the problem. I have now been able to remove the photos app, and reinstall it from the store.

Now I have other problems with the app. I have no jump list, and the live tile only works for a short time then freezes. I have check all the settings for photos and for windows and I'm reasonable confident I have them right, and yet the screen saver shows
    a couple of photos then the screen goes black and a floating messages says there is an error with the slide show. When I check the settings for the screen saver, the slide show preview works perfectly. I will try and use the windows help and use the trial
    and error method to see if I can get it working properly for me.

Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers Lorraine.

Lorraine_849, Jun 16, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

How to uninstall Apps using Powershell

To remove everything that can be removed from all users with one single command, use this:

Code: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage[/quote] The progress shows which apps can and which cannot be removed:

Result, a clean and empty Start, All Apps only showing the apps you cannot remove:

5. Thanks Kari,

Piping the results of Get-AppxPackage into Remove-AppxPackage also removes the Store (beta) - at least it did on my machine.

Before I wrote this thread, I tried adding the -Confirm parameter to the method you posted but decided that it was too much trouble answering each confirm. The use might get tired of answering and just hit the Yes to All button.

Since Win10 is still preview and Apps might change before 29 July, your method with is sure to remove any Apps that might change package names and remove any new ones MS adds between now and then.

The method you posted might also remove Apps that should not be removed (VClibs as shown in your image). You're right though, the Apps that are defined as integral to the system will throw an error and will not be removed.

I decided to list the individual apps so they could decide which ones they wanted to remove.

Bill

Slartybart, Jun 17, 2015
  6. serpentxx Win User
    Hey guys,

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but i figure its better than creating a new one

I am at work right now, so this is untested but this powershell command should remove every app but the windows store

and you can add multiple variables to the end like so

serpentxx, Aug 1, 2015
  7. I found the same great instructions.
    I ran PowerShell using the easy, get rid of 'em all instructions.

This is the PS error: Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF3, Package failed updates, dependency or conflict validation. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CF3)

I think these are just the ones that Windows will not let you remove - because the Apps page looks beautiful.
    Love PowerShell!

BellaDonna, Jun 21, 2016
  8. How to uninstall Apps using Powershell

and you can add multiple variables to the end like so
    Code: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage | where {$_.Name -notlike "*Store*|*calculator*"}[/quote] [/quote] Can you confirm that the vertical bar is an OR and not a pipe in -notlike "*Store*|*calculator*"
    When you get the chance *Smile

I'm glad you posted, there is an Uninstalling Apps tutorial that more thoroughly covers the subject. Authors keep tutorials updated (sometimes from information in other threads), so consider tutorials as the authoritative source.

OPTION FOUR: Remove All Windows Apps Except Store Specific from All Users in PowerShell
    Full Tutorial: Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10

Slartybart, Jun 23, 2016
  9. Sorry, mate.

I can only confirm that to make the pipeline, it is above the slash. On my keyboard, it is above the main keyboard ENTER key. As I ran the entire program and didn't create the text to copy, I didn't care about details. You can't go wrong copying and pasting from a widely recognized and trusted website, because even if it looks wrong on the viewing page (here, for instance), it will type correctly on Notepad.

BellaDonna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to uninstall Apps using Powershell

1. How to uninstall Apps using Powershell - Similar Threads - uninstall Apps using

2. How can i successfully uninstall old version of microsoft store apps using powershell...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i successfully uninstall old version of microsoft store apps using powershell...: I have been trying to deploy the below command through Sccm task sequence to all the machine but unfortunately i still find the old version of the app still there.What am l m missing?Remove-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.MPEG2VideoExtension_1.0.22661.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe...
  3. Uninstall sponsored apps with Powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstall sponsored apps with Powershell: Hi,I have written a Powershell script that installs a MAK, renames the computer, installs Windows updates, joins the company domain, and installs/uninstalls various applications and features. However, the first time Windows lands on the desktop, it starts to download various...
  4. Uninstall sponsored apps with Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstall sponsored apps with Powershell: Hi,I have written a Powershell script that installs a MAK, renames the computer, installs Windows updates, joins the company domain, and installs/uninstalls various applications and features. However, the first time Windows lands on the desktop, it starts to download various...
  5. Uninstall sponsored apps with Powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Uninstall powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstall powershell: Hello,After i uninstalled powershell its still on my PC. I dont know how to remove it. How to solve it?Greetings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-powershell/02793fb0-92c5-44ce-8d12-117d33e54664
  7. Uninstall powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstall powershell: Hello,After i uninstalled powershell its still on my PC. I dont know how to remove it. How to solve it?Greetings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-powershell/02793fb0-92c5-44ce-8d12-117d33e54664
  8. Uninstall powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. How to uninstall Powershell?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to uninstall Powershell?: I am trying to uninstall Windows Powershell. Every time I boot up my pc and sign in, there is always this worrying notification saying that "Threats Found". When I would click on it, it would say I have a trojan and its saying it is from Powershell. Now, I know Windows...
  10. How to Uninstall PowerShell v1.0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Uninstall PowerShell v1.0: I am currently running PowerShell 7.1.0. However, I still have PowerShell v1.0 installed at C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0 and I don't see an uninstall program. I am currently running Win10 v2004 OS Build 21292.1000. When I run appwiz. cpl only PowerShell 7-x64...