Windows 10: How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu?

Discus and support How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; i've searched everywhere, and even uninstalled Cortana from Windows Features.. it's no longer running.. but i can't figure out how to unpin it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BillGates, Aug 7, 2015.

1. BillGates Win User

How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu?

i've searched everywhere, and even uninstalled Cortana from Windows Features..
    it's no longer running.. but i can't figure out how to unpin it from the Start Menu.

Anyone know how to unpin Cortana?
    Thanks

FYI: if anyone is interested in removing hidden Windows Features:
    - you'll need win6x_registry_tweak from MSFN or here's a mirror.
    - you can remove Windows Defender, Adobe Flash, Search, Indexer, HyperV, etc.. completely *Smile

How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu? [​IMG]

Available commands:
    Code: install_wim_tweak.exe /o /l[/quote] - list all packages

Code: install_wim_tweak.exe /o /c **PACKAGE** /r[/quote] - remove package

FYI: becareful.. don't go crazy and remove things you're unsure about.. some packages are required for functionality and can cause serious problems.

:)

BillGates, Aug 7, 2015

2. help,regarding cortana

I mean to say that before unpinned the Cortana from the start menu it was showing news and other things like food and news when they both flip first they shows images and then news but Cortana has stopped all this thing after I have unpinned from start
    now what to do that Cortana starts again all the features and I have stop the Cortana from back ground usage it is from that or not

vinayranjan, Aug 7, 2015
  3. help,regarding cortana

No problem will occurs if I unpinned the Cortana from the start menu ........

vinayranjan, Aug 7, 2015
  4. How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu?

Right-click taskbar, search->hidden.

I just set it to "Show Search Icon" to use less space, but Cortana isn't available in Canada yet so I might just hide it for now.

FuturDreamz, Aug 7, 2015
  5. BillGates Win User
    no.. im talking about from the Start Menu.

How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu? [​IMG]

BillGates, Aug 7, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
  7. BillGates Win User
    BillGates, Aug 7, 2015
  8. letmein Win User

I shut Cortana off and after I shut the computer off it was no longer in the start menu when I powered back up. I hope that works for you too https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

P.S. I never thought I'd try to help Bill Gates with a Windows issue. *chuckle

letmein, Aug 7, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    Okay then...Have you tried to completely uninstall Cortana via PowerShell?

See here

Edit: Or go with letmein solution in previous post above this

WhyMe, Aug 7, 2015
  10. Bazz Win User
  11. BillGates Win User
    yea.. i have Cortana disabled via GPEdit.
    i also removed all traces of Cortana from my system and registry.
    it's still there.

this sucks.

BillGates, Aug 7, 2015
  12. That's pretty invasive changes to the os to remove an entry in the list of apps. Why not just turn it off then leave it? Cortana is pretty imbedded into the os, and would require a clean reinstall to repair. You may not even be able to reset your computer.

FuturDreamz, Aug 8, 2015
  13. Bazz Win User

It's easy to get rid but getting it out of the all apps menu seems almost impossible atm, even if you delete the whole folder it's still in the all apps menu.

14. So? Lots of things are in the All Apps menu. That's what it is for. You wouldn't rip out all the phone lines in your home just because you don't use a land line.

FuturDreamz, Aug 8, 2015
  15. BillGates Win User
    i found a way yesterday..
    but it caused the Start Menu to fail..
    and trying to restore caused errors.. eventually leading to boot problems.
    i had to restore to an old System Image..

i'd leave Cortana & Shell Experience alone.
    those 2 are needed for the Start Menu and overall Windows stability.

Thanks for everyone's help though *Smile

FYI: you can disable Cortana from starting.. but DO NOT try to remove it.
    - if you're curious where the Start Menu shortcut is located.. drag the Cortana "All Apps" shortcut to the desktop. you'll see a file named "@Microsoft...." .. if you search that name in the registry you'll find it under Packages..

BillGates, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu? - Similar Threads - unpin Cortana Start

2. Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.: Hello,Since a recent Windows 10 update, Microsoft Edge has been pinned to my Start Menu. Previously, I was able to unpin shortcuts from my Start Menu. When trying to unpin this shortcut from my Start Menu I am not presented with the option to "Unpin from Start Menu" as I am...
  3. Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.: Hello,Since a recent Windows 10 update, Microsoft Edge has been pinned to my Start Menu. Previously, I was able to unpin shortcuts from my Start Menu. When trying to unpin this shortcut from my Start Menu I am not presented with the option to "Unpin from Start Menu" as I am...
  4. Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unpin tiles from Start menu

Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  6. unpin start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unpin start menu: i tried to reinstall my browser (firefox) so i uninstalled it but i can't unpin the shortcut i have in my start menu what's the solution? https://i.postimg.cc/5jc0DFvM/2.png forgot to add that when i click on it, nothing happens submitted by /u/djindjer [link]...
  7. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  8. Unable to Unpin Folder Tile from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to Unpin Folder Tile from Start Menu.: I'm unable to remove this tile from my Start Menu. It was a folder shortcut which was working fine until I changed the letter of the drive it belonged to. There are only two options when I right click, one is to unpin and the other is to resize the tile. I have tried pretty...
  9. Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu: Hello all, I love Windows 10. I really do. However, there's one slight nuisance that is really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I right-click a tile, select something such as "Unpin from Start," absolutely nothing happens. The tile remains, I can reshape it, move...
  10. Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?: So, am I just stupid or when I right click an app and choose "Unpin from Start" the app is still in the Start Menu and works no problem, am I just missing something or there is no way to get rid of pinned apps ? Also I read somewhere that when you right click a blank space...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unpin cortana from start menu

2. how to unpin cortana from the start menu

3. unpin cortana start menu

4. tenforums remove cortana from start menu,
  5. how to unpin cortana