Windows 10: How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N

Discus and support How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Home N in a VM but have not activated it yet. After a couple of weeks configuring and testing the VM, I found I needed some pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by inertia, Feb 18, 2016.

1. inertia Win User

How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N

I installed Windows 10 Home N in a VM but have not activated it yet. After a couple of weeks configuring and testing the VM, I found I needed some pro features (like being able to audio in my host) so I would like to upgrade to that. I bought an OEM Windows 10 Pro N key. So is there a way I can upgrade and activate Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 Pro N with my OEM Windows 10 Pro N key? If so how?

When I go to the Activation screen under Settings --> Update & Security, I see two potential options; Change Product key and Activate. My guess would be to change the product key, but I want to make the right choice…
    Thanks

:)

inertia, Feb 18, 2016

2. windows 10 reinstalation and activation

if choose to keep windows 10 pro installed (previously had win7 home) and it remains unactivated (probably cus i didnt hv win 7 pro) what will happen if i leave it unactivated n what happens after 7/27 when the free period is over and win10 pro remains unactivated

MatthewGood, Feb 18, 2016
  3. What version of window 10 do you get on free upgrade

On the free win 10 upgrade what version do you get? Home, Pro. And whats Pro N?

Numb Nuts1, Feb 18, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

................My guess would be to change the product key.......................

Yes. use that option.
    Then you enter the generic Pro product key............
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will start changing your Win 10 Home to Pro, but not activated.
    When completed, you can then use the purchased Pro key to activate.

davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  5. inertia Win User
    But would the VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key upgrade me to the non N version? All I have is the N version key?

inertia, Feb 18, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You are right.
    I forgot and overlooked the N version.
    I apologize.

I don't know if the method I posted will apply to you.

Again, sorry.

davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    inertia,

Why don't you use the Tech Bench ink and download Windows 10 N iso > burn it to a bootable media such as DVD or USB.
    Then use it to do a Clean Install using your purchased Win 10 Pro N key to activate ?

Tech Bench download link
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w)()

Scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer and select Windows 10 N > click Confirm.
    Make sure you select the same language as the compter is now using > click Confirm.
    Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    That will start the iso download.

davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  8. inertia Win User

Yes, I know that would work, but I spent weeks configuring everything, and was hoping I could avoid that.

inertia, Feb 18, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I understand.

That is all I can offer to you.
    Good luck.

davidhk, Feb 18, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Have you tried entering the Pro product key you purchased in the Change Product Key screen? That would be the first thing to try. The worst that will happen is that it will tell you it is invalid.

If that doesn't work, try entering this in Google:
    windows 10 pro n generic product key

Look at the first link for mmo-champion website (I can't access it here at work). Trigger the upgrade to Pro N by changing the product key to the generic product key for Pro N. Once the upgrade is done, then activate it by changing the product key again to your purchased product key.

NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2016
  11. inertia Win User
    Yes, this worked, it Upgraded me to Win 10 Pro N and activated it at the same time.

inertia, Feb 19, 2016
  12. inertia Win User
    inertia, Feb 20, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you looking under System Tools, Local Users and Groups?

How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2016
  14. inertia Win User
    Your image shows what my home --> upgraded to pro version looks like. But, I am expecting this (it what my other win 10 pro install looks like):

How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N [​IMG]

inertia, Feb 21, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Mine is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (non-"N" version). Is there a specific reason you need all those extra groups?

NavyLCDR, Feb 21, 2016
Thema:

1. How to upgrade and activate Win 10 Home N(unactivated) to Win 10 Pro N - Similar Threads - upgrade activate Home

2. Win 10 Pro N

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Pro N: Hello, I recently upgraded from Win XP to Win 10 and I wound up an N version. I want to get this off my machine and get the regular version of Win 10. How can I do this. I tried resetting my pc to factory settings but it doesn't go back to XP....
  3. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 PRO N

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Upgrade from Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 PRO N: Hello, I try to upgrade from Home N to Pro N. I go to Microsoft store as indicated in the Activation window and got what seems to be an "error" message : "You're running Windows 10 Home N and you're all set" No, I'm not all set, I want to upgrade to Pro N. and not...
  4. Drag n Drop in Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag n Drop in Win 10: Can you drag & drop files from one Explorer window to another? This is by right clicking the file and moving it holding the mouse down, then release in the target location. It's always worked for me in XP but Win 10 does not. It will however, r-click copy and then r-click...
  5. Win 10 N ISO download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 N ISO download: I'm trying to download a Win 10 N version, but I can't find it anywhere. Where can I find the updated ISO of the N versions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-n-iso-download/3db9c824-3451-4157-a570-e867f74f110b
  6. Win 10 Pro vs Win 10 Pro N

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 Pro vs Win 10 Pro N: How does one convert a Win 10 Pro N install to a Win 10 Pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-pro-vs-win-10-pro-n/412ee44a-854e-43d3-b580-eb84c4775f76
  7. Activating Win 10 Pro N

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 Pro N: Hi There i can't activate my Win Pro N after i updated my motherboard Proc and videokart also i retrieved the key before i did the update but no result Help please...
  8. How to upgrade from "Windows 10 Home N" to Windows 10 Home or Pro

How to upgrade from "Windows 10 Home N" to Windows 10 Home or Pro: Hello, I would like to ask if there is any way to upgrade my laptop from Windows 10 Home N to Windows 10 Home or Pro without a clean install !! Thanks...
  9. Windows 10 Pro N Activation

Windows 10 Pro N Activation: I recently downloaded a copy of the windows 10 iso from the microsoft website and chose to install Windows 10 Pro N. My issue at this point is trying to get it activated. I've bought activation keys but they refuse to work. Is the activation of this version of Windows region...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 Enterprise N x86 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Win 7 Enterprise N x86 to Win 10: Hello. I have genuine Win 7 Enterprise N x86 on my laptop. And I want to upgrade it to Win 10. Which Win 10 version ISO should I download to get locally updated by mounting the ISO and double click the setup.exe within the mounted ISO? I already upgraded my Win 7...