Windows 10: How to upgrade despite incompatible on-board graphics card

Discus and support How to upgrade despite incompatible on-board graphics card in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a windows 7 system that I want to upgrade to Win10. The advisor says that the old on-board graphics card (built into the mobo) is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by maestroc, Dec 27, 2015.

1. maestroc Win User

How to upgrade despite incompatible on-board graphics card

I have a windows 7 system that I want to upgrade to Win10. The advisor says that the old on-board graphics card (built into the mobo) is not compatible. I went out and purchased a new PCI-e card that is compatible but the advisor continues to say that I can't upgrade. There appears to be no way for me to disable the old graphics chip in the BIOS.

I also tried to re-run the advisor analysis tool via the command line as mentioned in this post: Solved Cannot update to Windows 10 due to old video card - Windows 10 Forums

But the advisor still says that I can't update due to the old card.

Can I still upgrade to windows 10? If so what should I do?

:)

maestroc, Dec 27, 2015

2. win 10 incompatible with nvivia video card

It may seem like an easy fix to simply upgrade the video from the on board graphics to a supported graphics card. But don't be so sure. I got the same message that my Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nforce 430 on board graphics were incompatible. So I bought a very
    ample pci-e nvidia card, installed it, and disabled the on board graphics. Did it work, based on the input here you may ask? No!

The upgrade through the "Get Windows 10" still thinks I am using the on board graphics. No amount of cleaning up of every windows log file I can find gets rid of that mistake and so no upgrade even with the new card.

Anyone know how to clear this up?

Gospel Outreach ChristianSchool, Dec 27, 2015
  3. Dan E(2) Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade display driver issue

I tried upgrading into windows 10 and the report said that my NVIDIA display drivers were not compatible (on board display port). So I went out and got an other graphics card (amd) and installed it. Now when I go to the windows upgrade button it still
    says that my NVIDIA drivers are incompatible and has a report date of 8/11 (today is 8/17). I have uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers (I think) and am running on the AMD graphics card, but cannot figure out how to get it to rerun the report.

Dan E(2), Dec 27, 2015
  4. pjmarkert Win User

Disable onboard video in BIOS.

pjmarkert, Dec 28, 2015
  5. maestroc Win User
    I tried, but as I said in the original post there seems to be no switch in the BIOS to disable it. I've looked through every menu and there is nothing there to turn off the on board graphics.

maestroc, Dec 28, 2015
  6. bobkn Win User
    You might get better help if you'd tell us what your motherboard is.

On some boards, the onboard video is automatically disabled when an add-on graphics card is in place, and there is no BIOS switch to choose between onboard and PCI-E.

As you have already switched to a compatible PCI-E card, I suggest that you use the Media Creation Tool or the Techbench ISO to create a USB flash drive (or a DVD) and install from that.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

(Step 4.)

I believe that any flags from the blocked Windows Update upgrade won't affect the standalone installer.

bobkn, Dec 28, 2015
  7. I was going to suggest that as well, to just do the upgrade yourself and not worry about the advisor.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to upgrade despite incompatible on-board graphics card - Similar Threads - upgrade despite incompatible

2. Z800 Graphics card upgrade

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Z800 Graphics card upgrade: HP Z800 / Z820 / Z840 - Graphics cards. I believe all three models are the same in these respects. I have been very confused by the information on upgrading a Z800 to a more powerful graphics card, so having solved, at least the more obvious issues, I have listed my findings...
  3. Upgrading an Old Graphics Card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading an Old Graphics Card: Hi everyone! I have a very old PC that I built in 2008 with the following configuration: Asus P5Q Pro motherboard; Intel core 2 duo e8500 CPU; 8GB RAM; Asus EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M video card (DirectX 10) My PC runs Windows 10 1909 just fine. Here is the question. I do...
  4. Window 7 to Window 10 - incompatible Graphics card - how to fix

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 7 to Window 10 - incompatible Graphics card - how to fix: I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - I got an error message indicating my Intel HD Graphics 4600 was not compatible with the upgrade so display would not be correct. How do I fix this issue and continue with the upgrade?...
  5. How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I switch audio output from graphics card to on-board: So I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and was experiencing issues with my sound drivers. I managed to get both the device and the codec drivers installed successfully (device manager checks out), but now when I go into my audio settings the output reads 'AMD HDMI Output, Not...
  6. Upgrade my graphic card

Upgrade my graphic card: Hi, I was wondering what was the best graphic card to upgrade my computer. I don't play that much, but I want to be able if I want to, for the last ones. It's fine if it's not the best quality, just enough to play. I also want to watch 4k videos. I need two HDMI output...
  7. Upgrade Graphic Card

Upgrade Graphic Card: I'd like to upgrade my video card but am not to informed on which card to use. I have a Nvidia GeForce GT 610 and my power supply is 460 watts, any suggestions on what I could use would be greatly appreciated. Windows 10 Pro latest updates installed.*Smile 87549
  8. Upgrading Graphics Card?

Upgrading Graphics Card?: So I just wanted to know if I could upgrade my graphics card without changing/upgrading anything else as well. I have a GeForce GT 610 currently, and switching it out for the GeForce gtx 750 ti or the 950. PROCESSOR: AMD Fx(tm)-4300 Quad-Core processor 3.8 GHz RAM: 16gb...
  9. 7 Home > 10 Upgrade Failed - Graphics Card Incompatible

7 Home > 10 Upgrade Failed - Graphics Card Incompatible: Got a message that my graphics card was not compatible with 10 so I installed an ASUS 210 Silent, forced a 10 download again and still get the same message with the old card. 10 upgrade doesn't check for the new card, just reports the old card is not compatible. How do I get...
  10. Upgrading to Win 10 - after upgrading incompatible graphics card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Win 10 - after upgrading incompatible graphics card: I've managed to upgrade some of my home PC's from Win 7 or Win 8 to Wn 10 without any significant problems, but I am having major difficulty upgrading one of my PC's. It is running Win 7 Home 32-bit and when I originally ran the Windows 10 upgrade advisor, it indicated...