Windows 10: How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition?

Discus and support How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I have a fairly new Dell laptop that I installed a SSD in after cloning the original HDD. Somehow the factory recovery partition was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tlrsr, May 17, 2017.

1. tlrsr Win User

How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition?

Hello everyone.
    I have a fairly new Dell laptop that I installed a SSD in after cloning the original HDD.
    Somehow the factory recovery partition was not copied to the SSD.
    I have tried twice to upgrade to W-10 and each time it has failed with error message 0XC1900200.
    Research indicate the error message relates to the missing partition. So now, my question is how to upgrade without the recovery partition?

Thank you.

:)

tlrsr, May 17, 2017

2. UPGRADING FROM W 8.1 PROFESSIONAL TO W 10 PROFESSIONAL

Thank you for your info.

I upgraded the common way:

1. Reserved my upgrade.

2. It came and I was notified when download was complete.

3. Told to upgrade.

4. Followed instructions without a hitch.

5. Upgrade completed successfully and I started using W 10

6. Checked on properties and found that I had received W 10 Home.

7. Did same to my Dell Desktop which had W 7 Ultimate and got W 10 Professional

So why not get W 10 Professional on Samsung Laptop NP270E5J-K01US?

GeorgeMuhuni, May 17, 2017
  3. WRONG W 10 UPGRADE VERSION

I upgraded my Samsung Laptop from W 8.1 Professional and received W 10 Home. I have tried even going back to factory settings

and upgrading again but receive same W 10 Home. Please Help.

GeorgeMuhuni, May 17, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Have you used the installation media to delete all partitions on your new SSD (by using the custom install option). The drive should show as all unallocated space before you begin to install.

I had various problems with my Dell way back yonder when testing and trying W10 and found doing this resolved all issues.

Mooly, May 17, 2017
  5. tlrsr Win User
    Thank you for the fast reply.

This is not a clean install. it is an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro.
    I downloaded the free upgrade and ran into the problem.
    If buying a copy of 10 Pro will solve the problem, I am willing to do that.

tlrsr, May 17, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, May 17, 2017
  7. tlrsr Win User
    Thanks again Mooly!

I do not want to do a clean install. I would lose all my data.
    All I want is to upgrade the W-7 OS to W-10 and I can't do that because of the missing recovery partition.
    Any thoughts on how to create the missing partition?

tlrsr, May 17, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

I believe the recovery partition on a Dell requires Dells own unique Master Boot Record. Even making a disk image and restoring that image 'breaks' the recovery options.

Is the cloned SSD with W7 on it working OK as a W7 installation ?

I've no quick answers as to what may fix your issue but gathering as much information will help with ideas and suggestions.

(data... as in personal files/pictures/music etc is easily copied over to a clean install if needed)

Mooly, May 17, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 17, 2017
  10. tlrsr Win User
    yes, the W-7 OS is working fine. I want to upgrade to W-10 because all my work computers are 10.
    I can copy all my data, yes, but I have many programs that would be lost and some I could not reinstall.

tlrsr, May 17, 2017
  11. tlrsr Win User
    tlrsr, May 17, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    This is the complicated procedure to upgrade from 7 pro to 10 Pro

1) download iso

2) mount as drive

3) run setup.exe

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  13. tlrsr Win User

Thank you cereberus for your reply.

I will purchase a copy of W-10 if I absolutely have no other choice. I would like to do this on the cheap if possible.
    Will installing from the .ISO disk work without the recovery partition?

tlrsr, May 17, 2017
  14. Mooly Win User
    Understood *Smile

(The small 'Data' partition seems odd to me on your screenshot. Why is it called Data I wonder and why so small)

Mooly, May 17, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Before doing the upgrade to Windows 10, I recommend making a image backup of the SSD, and having a recovery drive that you can boot the computer from to restore the image, should something go wrong. I recommend making a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's Recovery Tools. His tools have everything you will need:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot into his recovery tools, and you can use Macrium Reflect to make a backup image of your SSD onto an external storage location such as a USB hard drive.

The problem with your upgrade and reserved partition can be fixed by taking 50 MB (not GB!) from the front of the C: drive partition and adding it to the System Reserved partition. The System Reserved partition is the 100 MB partition at the front of your SSD that is labelled as "data". See here:
    Quickly Fix: Windows 10 Upgrade Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

Kyhi's Recovery Tools also has MiniTool Partition Wizard and AEOMI Partition Assistant installed, so you can use that to resize your partitions.

If a simple resizing of the partitions does not work, there are other - more involved - actions we can do to get you upgraded. The most effective method would be to do an image backup of your C: drive. Wipe the SSD. Install Windows 10 to it. Restore the image of the Windows 7 C: drive partition over the top of the new Windows 10 C: drive partition. Fix the boot files to point to the restored Windows 7 partition, then upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Kyhi's Recovery Tools would be key to doing that as well.

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2017
Thema:

1. How to upgrade W-7 laptop to W-10 without factory recovery partition? - Similar Threads - upgrade laptop without

2. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?: Recently, I had an HP system fail the windows 10 update KB5034441. This system was not using Bitlocker which seems to be the cause of KB5034441 being pushed out as an update. According to many "tips", such as this one, the install failure will prevent future updates from...
  3. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?: Recently, I had an HP system fail the windows 10 update KB5034441. This system was not using Bitlocker which seems to be the cause of KB5034441 being pushed out as an update. According to many "tips", such as this one, the install failure will prevent future updates from...
  4. How to extend the win10 recovery partition w/o deleting it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. W-10, lost left channel sound shortly after Upgrade from W-7

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W-10, lost left channel sound shortly after Upgrade from W-7: Hello all; I have a problem with the sound having lost the left channel shortly after upgrading from W-7. My W-10 Home version is 2004, Build 1941.746. This happened many months ago, and I had given up on a fix, short of a complete re-installation. After all I have sound just...
  6. Upgrade w 7 to W 10

Upgrade w 7 to W 10: Hello, Cannot upgrade w 7 to w 10 getrs locked to infinite 0 does not move even after severasl hours akso try differently by placing the ESO on the desktop and uploading after, still the same result How can this work normally ? Please hlep Thank you...
  7. W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name?

in Windows 10 Support
    W-7 to W-10 Upgrade disrupted Applications, could it be the PC Name?: We just upgraded to W-10. Our W-7 Computer name was: TGS-Client-01 Our W-7 Full Computer name was: TGS-Client-01 Our W-7 Computer description was: The General Store Client 01 Workgroup was: WORKGROUP During the Upgrade we used: Our W-10 Computer name is: TGS-Server Our W-10...
  8. Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1

Upgrade to W 10 from W 8 NOT W 8.1: I have a silly problem. I run W 8 on my desktop computer but have never been able to upgrade to W 8.1 as I have never been able to open Windows Store, despite multiple solutions none of which have worked. The only solution of reinstalling W 8 has not appealed! I am happy with...
  9. W 7 Pro to W 10 on a Panasonic Toughbook - many failures

in Windows 10 Support
    W 7 Pro to W 10 on a Panasonic Toughbook - many failures: I have just updated from W 7 Pro, my Panasonic Cf-53JSWZGDE using the standard Microsoft download. I noticed that a warning flashed on the screen about a Bluetooth problem, during the update. The BT mouse no longer works, but no yellow indicator in the Device Manager. The...
  10. What are these * partitions on W 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are these * partitions on W 10?: Hi New here, was having trouble with formatting Sandisk Curzer Blade 32gb, eventually found free utility Macrorit Disk Partion Expert v3.9.5 and it did the trick. Windows on full (not quick) Format NTFS or Fat32 was an overnight job and didn't work when it was formatted....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. printed w7 to w10 instructions