Windows 10: How to use 7zip to open RAR files

Discus and support How to use 7zip to open RAR files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On this computer there is a 7zip program to open zip files. In its current default configuration it is not able to open RAR files. When attempting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by zbook, Jul 10, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

How to use 7zip to open RAR files

On this computer there is a 7zip program to open zip files.
    In its current default configuration it is not able to open RAR files.
    When attempting to open RAR files the screen will only flash.
    Switching browsers had no change in result.
    Win zip was downloaded but it has a short term free use period.
    7zip is supposed to be able to open RAR files but is not supposed to be able to create them.
    Viewing tools then options it has my user name displayed for RAR files.
    I am the only user for this computer.
    If the 7zip is changed to all users with apply there is a pop up access denied.
    Does anyone know how to configure 7zip to open RAR files?

:)

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  2. hadimassa Win User

E72 and Flickr

Did you try to redownload the rar file again and open with 7zip?

hadimassa, Jul 10, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    game not starting

Are you just unable to open the .rar file? If that's the case, you can download and install the free
    7Zip program that will open almost any type of compressed archive.

JimWynne, Jul 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

What works for me is to right click on a rar file, and via the 7-zip context menu entry, click Open Archive

Or launch 7-zip and browse to the rar in its left pane, and double click on it.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    7zip is opening zip files without problems. These are all for downloaded (not saved files).
    When attempting to open RAR files the screen will only flash.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling 7zip had no impact.
    Downloading and installing winzip makes it the default application then RAR files open.
    Un-installation of winzip making 7zip the default application allows it to open zip but not RAR.
    This is an image of attempted manual right click.
    It asks for the application to open the file. 7zip is selected and the screen flashes.
    Switching browsers from Chrome to IE has no impact.

How to use 7zip to open RAR files [​IMG]

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  6. You have set 7-zip console to open rar instead of 7-zip manager. Set 7zFM.exe to open rar.

TairikuOkami, Jul 10, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Where is that setting?
    How is that done?

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  8. How to use 7zip to open RAR files

Select - More apps - Find - "‪C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zFM.exe" + tick Always use this app to open.

Or open ‪"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zFM.exe" as admin via explorer.

Tools - Optiona - Click on RAR for the current user or for all users to open it with.

9. zbook New Member
    These are images:

The above is 7zFM.exe opened as administrator. Then tools > options.
    When opened this time as administrator it allowed selecting all users to open 7zip RAR.
    No change. When clicking on any downloaded RAR file they flash and do not open.

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  10. Left click there, that should allow all users to open RAR. It should say 7-zip as well.

11. zbook New Member
    This is after open as administrator:

Just rebooted in clean boot.
    No change. Still flashes and does not open RAR downloads.

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Before worrying about what's default or not, verify you can actually open a rar with 7-zip.

I don't have it associated with rar; my post relates to simply using what's available if you install 7-zip.
    If that doesn't work for you, I very much doubt setting it as default for rar will help.

Can you open rar files with anything?

However, you say
    - which implies the problem relates to downloaded rar files only.
    Are you downloading the file, then trying to open it, or are you trying to download and have it automatically opened immediately in 7-zip?

Before addressing that, verify you can indeed open a rar file already on your PC.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

@dalchina that helped a lot. Thanks.
    Since the last post I've moved from clean boot to normal boot, uninstalled the x86 version of 7zip, and a malfunctioning Intel driver update program.
    There are no saved RAR files on this computer. They are all in the download folder.
    Clicking on *.RAR they will open properly.
    The problem I am guessing was that there were multiple file types in the downloaded folder and one was misbehaving or not designed to be opened by 7zip?
    The download folder had flashed and nothing opened. Now if the contents are separated within the folder only one file within the folder will flash and the others will open normally.
    It was the *.speecy file that was making the flash.
    7zip could not open this speecy file whereas it would open the minidump, *,info, and *.txt.
    Somehow winzip was able to process the download folder in a different fashion.

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    If you want to open a split .rar using 7zip then you rioght click on the first one and select "Exctact" or "Extract to "bla/bla/extracted_rar"

Thema:

1. How to use 7zip to open RAR files - Similar Threads - 7zip open RAR

2. how to use 7zip?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to use 7zip?: i am trying to use 7zip to extract files for mugen. when i download 7z and put it on my desktop and click “open,” it asks me to allow the app to make changes to my device, and when i click yes, it installs 7-Zip 16.04 but i can’t find the program in my folders and i don’t...
  3. how to use 7zip?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to use 7zip?: i am trying to use 7zip to extract files for mugen. when i download 7z and put it on my desktop and click “open,” it asks me to allow the app to make changes to my device, and when i click yes, it installs 7-Zip 16.04 but i can’t find the program in my folders and i don’t...
  4. Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.: At the moment of writing this, I have just reinstalled windows because my old windows installation was quite old and bloated with useless apps. I was installing the apps that I wanted, and then it became time to download 7zip, I download it as normal, run it and restart....
  5. Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.: At the moment of writing this, I have just reinstalled windows because my old windows installation was quite old and bloated with useless apps. I was installing the apps that I wanted, and then it became time to download 7zip, I download it as normal, run it and restart....
  6. Change 7zip .zip .rar .7z icons.

7. How to open rar files in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to open rar files in windows 10: Hello, I have some difficulty opening rar files. Is it necessary to download some software that does not come included with Windows itself to open this kind of files? Can you recommend a few applications for uncompressing rar files? Thank you!...
  8. exe files opening in 7zip

exe files opening in 7zip: I am at wits end right now. So, I removed 7zip a couple of hours ago, and am tired, so I go to install MCedit, only for 7zip, in which i already deleted, trying to open it, even is mcedit installer is a exe. Ive tried everything, please help!!!!! -Lav...
  9. Rar files opening in Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Rar files opening in Notepad: I play games such as Sims 4 and I download custom content. A good portion of the stuff I download are RAR files. I accidentally clicked "Always open with notepad" and I can no longer get it to be just a normal file. I would like to know how to make it not open as a notepad...
  10. Opening rar. files

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening rar. files: hello... how do I open a rar. file safety. I realize that I need an App but to do this but I'm aware that I may download other bumf when I do. So what I'm trying to say can you direct me to a a safe site ... free of coarse ...Joe 63168

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win ziz e72

2. how to open rar files via 7zip