Windows 10: How to use OneDrive without logging on 10 with MS Account?

Discus and support How to use OneDrive without logging on 10 with MS Account? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I root my User folders in OneDrive folder to keep them sync'd with all my other Devices. But in 10 I want to use a Local Account so I can forgo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gregrocker, Oct 7, 2014.

1. How to use OneDrive without logging on 10 with MS Account?

I root my User folders in OneDrive folder to keep them sync'd with all my other Devices.

But in 10 I want to use a Local Account so I can forgo password (along with Lock Screen and Log On page) except at rare times like when I visit my parents *Wink. For this reason I'd like to install the standalone OneDrive app which only requires sign-in at the time it's set up.

The problem is that the standalone OneDrive app will not install on 10. It downloads and then goes away.

What are the advantages of using a MS Account for Win7 log on for those who want a password at all? Is the built-in OneDrive app adaptable to Move my User folders in it so they sync across all my devices?

Edit: To answer the last question, I signed into my MS Account and moved the OneDrive folder from my User Account folder to E:\Storage where it resides on this PC. The 10 User folders had already been moved here where the 7 User folders have always lived. It appears it is working correctly.

But I still would like to have this option without having to sign in with a MS Account.

:)

gregrocker, Oct 7, 2014
  2. Fred K 44 Win User

KB4054517 keeps trying to install. Error 0x80070020. Win10 1709 Build 16299.64

Setting up the MS Onedrive is not understood by me. It seems to want to do things beyond what it should--taking over things I don't want in there. Typical MS.

All these other things to do using PowerShell and other programs is mostly Greek without some kind of quick tutor on how to set up and run them.

I'd like to have someone look over the two log files of several attempts by the MS Windows 10 to install their Windows update, but I'm not sure how to park them to make them public.

Fred K 44, Oct 7, 2014
  3. To confirm: one can only synch W10 settings with a personal online MS account?

1. So if I normally log in without using an online MS account, but I do log in for Business OneDrive and Office 365, I won't be able to synch settings?

2. Is the "single sign on" a way to both use Office 365, synch settings to MS cloud, and access my local network domain?

Len R

Oakland, CA

leonardraphael, Oct 7, 2014
  4. topgundcp Win User

How to use OneDrive without logging on 10 with MS Account?

I only use local account also.
    Just log into your MS Account from the browser. Use drag & Drop to upload/download.
    That's what I use.

topgundcp, Oct 8, 2014
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Greg,

If you like, you can use a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10 with, and not have to enter a password at startup and such.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

If you like, you could sign in online to your OneDrive account in a browser, or you could map the OneDrive in This PC.

OneDrive - Map OneDrive in This PC in Windows 8.1

Your "C:\Users\(user-name)\OneDrive" folder is movable like any other of your user folders.

User Folders - Change Default Location - Windows 7 Help Forums

You won't be able to log in to Windows 7 with a Microsoft account. It's local account only in Windows 7.

The main advantages of using a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 8/10 is to be able to seamlessly use modern apps that use Microsoft services, and to sync all your settings across all PCs that you sign in to with a Microsoft account.

Brink, Oct 8, 2014
  6. I signed into Windows 10 with my MS account, then mapped the OneDrive to my E Storage where it already lives and sync's my other devices. It is sync'ing 10 User folders now with my Win7 partition and other Devices.

I might stick with the MS Account since I can take off the password as Shawn shows.

But I'm still wondering if anyone knows a way to install OneDrive app from a Local Account like I have on Win7. I signed into OneDrive in browser but OneDrive app still will not install.

Thanks!

gregrocker, Oct 8, 2014
  7. Kari Win User
    OneDrive Desktop App can't be installed on 10 Tech preview, at least not at the moment (build 9841). Using a local account, the best solution is to map OneDrive as network drive, the way Bring told.

Kari, Oct 8, 2014
  8. How to use OneDrive without logging on 10 with MS Account?

Thanks, Kari, but I don't get how mapping OneDrive as a network drive with a Local Account would let me use it to synch my files across all my Devices around the country.

gregrocker, Oct 8, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    Call it pseudo sync if you want to.

OneDrive mapped as newtowork drive on Win 10 Tech preview desktop = the actual up to date content of OneDrive always available.

Sync anything on any other device, as soon as it is synced with OneDrive it is visible and available on your Win 10 desktop. Add / remove anything from Win 10 mapped OneDrive and it will be synced with any machine allover the globe with accesss to same OneDrive.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist for this...

Kari, Oct 8, 2014
  10. gregrocker, Oct 8, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    I know that thread of yours in Backup & Restore back at Seven Forums and have bookmarked it, that's why I simply could not believe my eyes reading this...:

... and why there was an intended pun in my response. OneDrive mapped as network drive is as good as any other method to sync it.

12. adamf Win User
    Is it? SkyDrive.exe runs multiple threads when synchronising. You don't get that with mapping a network drive. Depends on the number of files I guess.

adamf, Oct 8, 2014
  13. Kari Win User

Yes it is. There's a lot less to sync because the files are not located on your computer. Each file you work with will when you save the changes be saved on OneDrive, not on your local PC to be synced later.

Do you want me to send some of my remaining hair, for you to split them? *Wink

14. After looking over the tutorial for mapping network drives I think I'd rather stick with the MS Account which works with what I already have just fine. I have never been one for Offline Files at all so it's having hard copies at every point that makes OneDrive app appealing to me and I think many others.

One reason I haven't written the OneDrive sync method up into a full tutorial is I've been waiting now for 2 years to discover any unintended consequences without going to look for any more.

I'll bet that's a calculation MS is counting on others making too, which is why they disabled OneDrive desktop app in 10 to help force users to MS Accounts. *Wink

I don't mind. I've had a MS account for years and they still don't have my credit card! *Smile

gregrocker, Oct 8, 2014
  15. Tony K Win User
    Lol, Kari! It's probably confusing to some because it shows the files in the OneDrive folder in File Explorer. Those are actually just links, not the files themselves.

Tony K, Oct 8, 2014
Thema:

1. How to use OneDrive without logging on 10 with MS Account? - Similar Threads - OneDrive without logging

2. How to Unlink OneDrive without creating an Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Unlink OneDrive without creating an Account: Just purchased a new Dell laptop that came with Windows 11. I noted that OneDrive is automatically copying all data including Attachments, Desktop, Documents, Music, Outlook Files, and Pictures.I want to Unlink OneDrive from this PC without creating an account and then I want...
  3. How to Unlink OneDrive without creating an Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Unlink OneDrive without creating an Account: Just purchased a new Dell laptop that came with Windows 11. I noted that OneDrive is automatically copying all data including Attachments, Desktop, Documents, Music, Outlook Files, and Pictures.I want to Unlink OneDrive from this PC without creating an account and then I want...
  4. Onedrive: How to exit it/shut it down without logging of the whole account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive: How to exit it/shut it down without logging of the whole account?: Hail all:Win11Enterprise: How can I close OneDrive down/exit it I do not want backups without having to exit my whole account?I see not such an option in OneDrive Options?When I go for closure, it tells me to log my whole account off, but that's not an option ... .Thank you....
  5. Onedrive: How to exit it/shut it down without logging of the whole account?

Onedrive: How to exit it/shut it down without logging of the whole account?: Hail all:Win11Enterprise: How can I close OneDrive down/exit it I do not want backups without having to exit my whole account?I see not such an option in OneDrive Options?When I go for closure, it tells me to log my whole account off, but that's not an option ... .Thank you....
  6. How to log into my account without internet?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to log into my account without internet?: The internet setting on my computer disapeared. I tried restarting it to fix it but it did not work. And since I need to log into my Microsoft account to log into my computer I can no longer access any of my settings. I have since learned how to re-activate the internet...
  7. How to log into my account without internet?

How to log into my account without internet?: The internet setting on my computer disapeared. I tried restarting it to fix it but it did not work. And since I need to log into my Microsoft account to log into my computer I can no longer access any of my settings. I have since learned how to re-activate the internet...
  8. can't log in to ms account

can't log in to ms account: message;you reached the limit for account recovery requesthow many times do i have to request for help,, because of i forgot the password on new account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-log-in-to-ms-account/8dbf29ba-f417-4856-8e07-ab64c8140846
  9. Stay logged in to MS account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stay logged in to MS account: hello! I unchecked the netplwiz option to remove sign in after i start my laptop for my account admin but now every time i access my device i have to log in to my ms account for edge, etc.. and each time it asks me to verify my account by entering my password. How can i stay...
  10. Visual Studio 2017 - Use it without logging into MS Account?

Visual Studio 2017 - Use it without logging into MS Account?: Purchased a copy of Visual Studio 2017. Unfortunately, due to hacking and surveillance concerns I don't want my coding work stolen or publicized before it's done and releasable. Is there a way to use VS 2017 without needing to log into my Microsoft Account all the time?...