Windows 10: How to use secondary hard drive?

Discus and support How to use secondary hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys. First post here. I recently (two days ago as of this post) received my new PC. My primary hard drive has about 230GB of storage, whereas my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PurpleSaurce, Jun 7, 2017.

1. How to use secondary hard drive?

Hi guys. First post here.

I recently (two days ago as of this post) received my new PC. My primary hard drive has about 230GB of storage, whereas my secondary hard drive has roughly 980GB. I was wondering if someone could please help me and tell me how I can boot my new machine up and it using the secondary hard drive, as it has much, much more space?

Thank you! *Smile

:)

PurpleSaurce, Jun 7, 2017

2. windows 10 professional not finding one of two internal hard drives

The hard drives drivers are not the same as the disk/storage controllers listed separately IDE SATA/ATAPI controllers. What are listed under those?

Is this a laptop where you are using the Optical Drive bay as a secondary hard drive bay? Please explain the secondary bay you describe using for the problem disk. How is it connected exactly to the motherboard?

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 7, 2017
  3. DanCalF12 Win User
    How to default files to save to secondary hard drive in Windows 10?

Hey! Thanks for the info. My user folder has two folders for documents and pictures so everytime I try to redirect it it doesn't let me because there are two folders. Should I try deleting one or is there another option?

DanCalF12, Jun 7, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to use secondary hard drive?

Click on the start icon. Start typing Optimize. The app at the top of the list should be Defragment and Optimize Drives. Click on that to open it. Do you see Solid State Drive listed anywhere under Media Type?

How to use secondary hard drive? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply.

I see two drives. C: and "Recovery". I can only optimize C:. I did this, but nothing else happened.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That wasn't the question asked. I was trying to ascertain whether or not the 240GB hard drive was an SSD or not. Normally on a computer that comes with a 240GB "hard drive" and a 980 GB hard drive, the 240 GB drive is an SSD.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2017
  7. Yes. Both C: and Recovery are SSD.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    You need to post a shot of Disk Management.

The answer to your problem is simple, just don`t store any data on your Windows drive, store it on the other drive.

AddRAM, Jun 7, 2017
  10. How to use secondary hard drive? [​IMG]

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Either the second hard drive is not physically connected to the motherboard, the power cable is not connected to it, the sata port is disabled in UEFI, or it is defective. I would start by opening the computer and making sure there is a data cable connected between the hard drive and the motherboard, and a cable from the power supply connected to it.

Or, if this is a brand new, store bought computer, take it back and tell them the second hard drive is not showing up in Windows.

This is a photo of the hard drive end (the hard drive in the photo is upside down), the smaller cable on the left in the photo is data and goes to the motherboard. The larger cable on the right is the power cable and goes to the power supply (it might daisy chain to other drives, such as the SSD).

These are what the cable ends look like. The power cable connector make actually be in the middle of a string of power connectors on the same wires:

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2017
  12. me75006 Win User
    where " my secondary hard drive has roughly 980GB"

(simplified story)
    I have my boot drive as a SSD. I install most programs on it also.
    I use the larger drive( G: for example) for storing back up data (Macrium Reflect disk images)
    On that larger hard drive, G: I transplant photos, music files, videos, some downloaded files, FROM my C: SSD over to my G:hard drive.
    I use a SATA TO USB drive adapter (with its own power brick) and yet another hard drive, K: , to back up that G: drive

Some refinements to the above are to create partitions on G: so you have an H: partition. Keep your user data on G:, keep you back up data files on H:
    Back up G: and H:, separate backups, to K: hard drive.

As mentioned , you have to have that ~980gb drive connected and visible first.
    Booting using a SSD is really fast!

me75006, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to use secondary hard drive? - Similar Threads - secondary hard drive

2. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  3. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  4. secondary hard drive clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    secondary hard drive clean up: Hello. dell g7 laptop 120g ssd 1tb hd. 3 years. cant count all the games/launchers that came & went. Did clean win10 install, Saved nothing wrongfully assumed it would wipe both hard drives.. Uninstalled all xbox/steam games before clean install. just to speed up process....
  5. In-place upgrade on secondary hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-place upgrade on secondary hard drive?: I have a two SSDs in my computer with windows 10 installs on them, lets call them A and B. Something is wrong with startup files on B and no matter what i try, i cant boot into it. I can boot into A however, and can access B once inside of A and access all of B’s files. I...
  6. Cant open most programs on Secondary Hard Drive used to be primary

Cant open most programs on Secondary Hard Drive used to be primary: I recently got a new SSD for my computer to run windows and other highly used programs. Unfortunately the space used on the secondary old drive exceeded the SSD so I had to reinstall windows. After doing this everything worked fine except I found none of the programs on the...
  7. How to wipe old hard drive for secondary use

How to wipe old hard drive for secondary use: I built a new computer recently, and would like additional storage on it, so I want to use the old hard drive from my former build as a secondary drive. I already know it's compatible and how to install it. My question is: How can I wipe it completely so it's starting from...
  8. Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing: Set up: Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 520 Type 81BF Processor: Intel i7 8550u RAM: 16 GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD Software: Windows 10. OS is on SSD. Laptop running fine for over 1 year and suddenly when computer restarted HDD missing...
  9. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised: After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive. Win10 does not "see" it! But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive! How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie....
  10. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...