Windows 10: How to Use the Compress Opt in Properties of a File or Folder via cmd?

Discus and support How to Use the Compress Opt in Properties of a File or Folder via cmd? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yeah i've been using this trick to save my Dish Space and how Helpful it is... *Smile But i need a alternate way so that i don't have to manually do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PRince4, Jul 19, 2016.

1. PRince4 Win User

How to Use the Compress Opt in Properties of a File or Folder via cmd?

Yeah i've been using this trick to save my Dish Space and how Helpful it is... *Smile
    But i need a alternate way so that i don't have to manually do this.

How to Use the Compress Opt in Properties of a File or Folder via cmd? [​IMG]

I just need a way to apply this to certain folder using Command Prompt (cmd.exe).

Thanks

:)

PRince4, Jul 19, 2016

2. Can't encrypt folders

Went to Control Panel and then to System and Security, then selected Fix Problems with Windows Update and then when i went to the folder i was trying to encrypt and selected Properties and noticed that "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed
    in addition to file properties" and "Compress contents to save disk space" went back to normal. Is there any way to encrypt folders via third party or other means?

Thanks

GoodMagicite, Jul 19, 2016
  3. Mick_H1 Win User
    Issues with maemo5 flaslight/lzma app +repos?

OK, first off, how to get flashlight working.

Open the camera lens cover and when the camera starts up shut it down by tapping the x in the top right corner of the screen. Now, if you tap the the status bar and bring down the menu you will see a new button has appeared "Flashlight". Tap that and it will
    switch on the camera flash.

LZMA on the other hand is a plugin for the default file manager and an x-term command line compression agent. This means that file manager will automatically decompress and display the contents of any file that's been compressed with a LZMA compatible compression
    method. It also allows you to decompress these files to a specified target folder via x-term. There's no UI so it has to be used via command line.

Hope all that rabble explains everything :smileytongue:

PS. Just seen you rootfs and opt questions.

'rootfs: 86/277 free' ..... means that your rootfs partition is 277MB in size and you've got 86MB free.

The same explanation fits for the 'opt' partition. Some apps will get installed to rootfs when they really should be installed to opt.

Rootfs should really have as much free as possible, because if this fills up you'll start getting problems (apps will fail to run and apps already running will shut down to try and free up some space for the system).

Most stable, well written apps will be "optified", this means they will be installed to the opt partition, which will help keep your rootfs clear for system files and essential libraries.

Mick_H1, Jul 19, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 19, 2016
  5. PRince4 Win User
    Thanks for the reply and also sorry for my late reply *Tongue
    This method is the other thing rather than what i needed i was thinking is there's a way to do it via cmd?

PRince4, Jul 21, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    I'm sure your going to continue to compress files no matter what I say. But HDD's are relatively inexpensive these days and getting larger capacity every day. There really is no need to compress files.
    Be aware, that if you have an issue with your HDD and you need to use Data Recovery software to recover your files, you will have a very difficult time recovering compressed files, most of the data will probably be corrupt. As opposed to non compressed files which are much easier to recover.

spunk, Jul 21, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sure. The first tutorial I posted below has options for compressing files or folders via the command prompt. It's the same commands used by the other context menu tutorial. *Smile

Compress or Uncompress Files and Folders in Windows 10

Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Totally agree.

In reality, compression impact can vary wildly eg photos and videos hardly compress at all and can even be bigger after compress. For many users, this is the bulk of data storage.

The biggest benefit on small devices is to use COMPACTOS

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

cereberus, Jul 21, 2016
  9. PRince4 Win User
    I totally agree with you guys especially i know these can't compress images and videos (Media files)
    but in term of gaming i can surely have much space i need after compressing them and thanks for the cmd help..

I really appreciate it...

*Smile

PRince4, Jul 22, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Use the Compress Opt in Properties of a File or Folder via cmd? - Similar Threads - Compress Opt Properties

2. Opted out of Previews VIA GPEDIT.MSC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Opted out of Previews VIA GPEDIT.MSC: The person msgrogms on the locked thread that said this:"Sadly as a Home user you do not have an option as I can tell.Pro users can opt out of Preview Builds via Group Policy Editor.Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Updates, Windows...
  3. How to list folder properties using Powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    How to list folder properties using Powershell: I have this bit of Powershell code that will list all the folder property friendly names, but I can't figure out how to get a list with the associated system properties. Code: $Folder = (New-Object -ComObject Shell.Application).NameSpace("C:\") 0..400 | ForEach { If...
  4. How to list folder properties using Powershell

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to list folder properties using Powershell: I have this bit of Powershell code that will list all the folder property friendly names, but I can't figure out how to get a list with the associated system properties. Code: $Folder = (New-Object -ComObject Shell.Application).NameSpace("C:\") 0..400 | ForEach { If...
  5. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  6. Configuring Network Adapter Properties via CMD..?

Configuring Network Adapter Properties via CMD..?: Does anyone know how to use Command Prompt to configure the Network Adapter Properties? [ATTACH] Would be handy to not have to access this window, which is buried pretty deep, every time they need to be altered... 141527
  7. Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Clearing Recent files/folders in file explorer via CMD: Hello, is there a way to clear recent files and folders in file Explorer and to turn it off on the side bar so that it only shows pinned folders? I mean this: [img] 136716
  8. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  9. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders: Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook. I found this tutorial and...
  10. How to take ownership of system files via CMD?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to take ownership of system files via CMD?: Google failed me this, people mentioned using setacl/subinacl, but no idea, how to use it. Running typical commands as admin does not work for system folders/files. Like those: takeown /f "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" /a /r /d y icacls "C:\Program Files\Windows...