Windows 10: How to use USB Device in XP VM running on Windows 10

Discus and support How to use USB Device in XP VM running on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Hyper-V VM running windows XP inside a Windows 10 host. The VM works fine and can access the local network and also the Internet via an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Mike Craft, Dec 30, 2015.

1. How to use USB Device in XP VM running on Windows 10

Hi,

I have a Hyper-V VM running windows XP inside a Windows 10 host. The VM works fine and can access the local network and also the Internet via an External Virtual Switch - So far, so good.

My problem is that I need to connect a Sony Clie PDA to the VM. This device connects by USB, but has no drivers for Win 7 or upwards, therefore I am trying to see if I can use it on the XP VM. Considering that there are no native Windows 10 USB drivers available for this device for the host system, but I DO have the XP USB drivers, is there any way that I can access this device by USB from within the XP VM??

Any help would be very much appreciated.....

Regards,
    Mike

:)

Mike Craft, Dec 30, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro - Will it also support XP Mode?

I am considering upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and also need XP mode for several reasons, including the fact that I use it for a USB scanner which doesn't have a 64-bit driver (Canon N656U).

It would have been nice if the "Check your PC" utility alerted users to the fact that XP mode will no longer work.

My XP mode VM appears to be a file "Windows XP Mode.vmcx". Can I use this file with Hyper-V, or do I need to create a new VM and reinstall XP? Will Hyper-V allow me to use a USB device in the XP VM like Windows XP mode does currently?

JocularJoe, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Rex99ny Win User
    How to share files frmo Windows 10 Pro to OS in Hyper-V virtual machine (XP) ?

I am running Windows 10 Pro on a 64 bit PC. I just set up Hyper-V and installed XP Pro (sp2). It runs, and I am able to do things in XP within the VM.

I installed this so I can run an older program. I will want to transfer documents (variety of file types) between the XM/VM and the Windows 10 host.

I'd prefer to go through a shared space on the hard drive - but can't figure out how to do so.

Would also be nice to be able to use a USB thumb drive between the two. Again, can't get that to work - XP does not even see the USB drive.

Any suggestions ?

Rex99ny, Dec 30, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

How to use USB Device in XP VM running on Windows 10

Hi there

I have a similar piece of software (or at least the same problem) -- a Minidisc recorder system. What I did was to use VMWARE workstation (player should also work) to create the XP VM and then from the Minidisc's software disc (still have it) install the driver directly on the XP VM.

Note - so long as the HOST can access the USB controller the XP VM driver will manage the hardware. Same method also works for an old but very good Photo (negative) scanner and some Vinyl recording software I have for cutting vinyl records.

I'm not sure if using HYPER-V is a good choice when you need to add this type of hardware as the HYPER-V was more intended for server or basic simple type VM's rather than VM's where you need to add special hardware.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for your reply. I have come to the same conclusions about Hyper-V as well. It is a good feature and generally works quite well, but has quite a few restrictions when using it with "legacy" operating systems such as XP. I will give VMWARE a try and see how I get on.

Regards,
    MIke

Mike Craft, Jan 8, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Any Luck !!

VBOX is also another possibility - although I've stuck with VMWARE over the years. VBOX is free as is VMWARE's VMplayer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 10, 2016
  7. Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for asking, but I have not had chance to play around with it yet. I will have a go in the next few days and let you know what happens.

Regards,
    Mike

Mike Craft, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to use USB Device in XP VM running on Windows 10

1. How to use USB Device in XP VM running on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - USB Device running

2. Activation of Windows XP on VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Windows XP on VM: Dear Microsoft,Unfortunately we had some very important legacy software that run on Windows XP only.My vendor told me to clone the hard disk to VM and then seek Microsoft to activate it as this is how hegot his cloned Windows XP work.We successfully cloned it to VM but...
  3. Activation of Windows XP on VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activation of Windows XP on VM: Dear Microsoft,Unfortunately we had some very important legacy software that run on Windows XP only.My vendor told me to clone the hard disk to VM and then seek Microsoft to activate it as this is how hegot his cloned Windows XP work.We successfully cloned it to VM but...
  4. XP VM nternet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP VM nternet access: i have my Wn10 machine running Hyper-V and i've started my xp VM machine but cannot get the NIC drivers or anything else running in it to make it useable. can someone please help? This is my first attempt at setting up a VM....
  5. How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10?: My old XP machine (still running) has apps and files going back to 2008, including 10GB of emails, and I'd like to convert it into a Virtual Machine on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (currently version 1909). So the XP will always be there when I need to get something, but would no...
  6. How to retrieve data from a Windows XP Mode VM on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to retrieve data from a Windows XP Mode VM on Windows 10: [ATTACH]When you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or Windows 10, Windows XP Mode is installed on your machine, however Windows Virtual PC is […] This article How to retrieve data from a Windows XP Mode VM on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. How to run Windows XP Solitaire on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run Windows XP Solitaire on Windows 10: If you want to run Windows XP version of Solitaire on your Windows 10 PC, here's how: If you're using or having an old PC running Windows XP: 1. Insert USB stick or any removable device. 2. Open Windows Explorer. 3. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 4. Click the Search...
  8. How to create a Windows 10 boot USB using XP?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create a Windows 10 boot USB using XP?: Hi, My Windows 10 laptop is unable to load windows (due to an automatic update) and is in a failing continuous loop trying to repair. None of the recovery/ repair options are working. I have read that I may be able to repair windows (or at least enter it) using a boot...
  9. Running VM's Within Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running VM's Within Windows 10: Hello, my first post here, hope it's in the right place. I've been running Windows 10 since the day after the preview was released. However I took a different route than most when evaluating the OS, I installed it on my school laptop. Now it's not the best, only 1.4Ghz Intel...
  10. Running XP Software in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running XP Software in Windows 10: I have software that will only run on XP. it is a database with years of contacts and text templales that I still use extensively. what is the best way to set this up under Windows 10? | read about VMware on here but my knowledge level is limited. Enongh to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. getting usb driver for xp mode on windows 10 hosted vm