Windows 10: How to verify MD5 checksum of files using Certutil

Discus and support How to verify MD5 checksum of files using Certutil in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Did you just download a large file? Or do you have a file that you have a suspicion about? The best way to make sure the file comes from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jul 2, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

How to verify MD5 checksum of files using Certutil

WinClub, Jul 2, 2018

2. Finding Checksum Values in Windows 10

I shared the following question several users have asked in other portions of Windows Support: In Windows 10, how does one calculate the checksum values of files? As most users know, matching the checksum value of a file on your computer against hash values
    specified by the source of the file, for example, is an important security feature to ensure the integrity of the files you use.

The answer to this question is simple enough, but I didn't find it in any Microsoft documentation or websites. Those explain options limited to prior versions of Windows and do not work for Windows 10.

Windows 10 does offer two straightforward ways to find the hash values of files, at least using Windows 10 Home x64 as I did. I don't know if they work on other versions, but I would expect they do. Microsoft just makes it difficult to discover the tools
    needed to perform this routine task.

One method uses the command certutil in the command prompt window. For example:

certutil -hashfile c:\Users\JDoe\Desktop\abc.exe SHA512

This command returns the SHA512 hash of file abc.exe located at the specified file path. You may use other values after SHA, such as 1 or 256, to produce the corresponding hash, and you may substitute MD5 or other supported parameters.

Another method is to use Windows PowerShell (version 5.1 for me) with the command Get-FileHash:

Get-FileHash -Path c:\Users\JDoe\Desktop\abc.exe -Algorithm SHA512

Like certutil after a command prompt, this command in PowerShell returns the SHA512 hash of file abc.exe at the location specified on the C: drive, and you may substitute other parameters to find their corresponding hash values.

As for the same question posted elsewhere on these forums, few answers have been posted. They suggest limited solutions, some of which work for certain users and others that do not. Some reference an FCIV command, which apparently works automatically in
    prior versions of Windows. For Windows 10, at least one user sets forth somewhat elaborate steps for installation and use of FCIV in Windows 10, and that may work for some. You may find it in this thread:

Is there built in checksum for win 10?

In any event, in Windows 10 as it is configured, neither the command prompt nor Windows PowerShell recognizes FCIV as a command. Presumably, Microsoft does not expect it to be used, probably because there are alternatives. Microsoft just makes it difficult
    for anyone to discover them, at least in the experience of some of us.

Free third-party checksum programs are available for download and installation. I have not tried any of them. Because Windows 10 apparently has simple commands to check the values as explained above, I don't see any reason to use them.

Microsoft also makes it difficult for users to post anything in its forums. For instance, I could not reply to any of the existing questions but am limited to discussing the topic in this "community" section. For users who, like me, had a hard time discovering
    this information, I hope this post turns up in search results and offers some help.

Wandering10, Jul 2, 2018
  3. Cliff S Win User
    taskmngr.exe??

It tells you how at the MD5 link you just posted:
    I recommend though that VirusTotal link to keep bookmarked in all your browsers. It can check site links too if you are not sure about them*Nerd

Cliff S, Jul 2, 2018
  4. How to verify MD5 checksum of files using Certutil

Verifying integrity of Windows 10 ISO

There is no way to do so, since SHA1/MD5 checksums are useless with the ISO files because they change regularly.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

How to verify MD5 checksum of files using Certutil

1. How to verify MD5 checksum of files using Certutil - Similar Threads - verify MD5 checksum

2. The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum: Hello, ive been trying to fix my laptop from this issuefor a really long time with no success. At i think august 2023, i was playing with my laptop. I wanted to get off and ill play later. Hen i got back and turned on my laptop, i had the logo screen load and the instantly...
  3. The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum: Hello, ive been trying to fix my laptop from this issuefor a really long time with no success. At i think august 2023, i was playing with my laptop. I wanted to get off and ill play later. Hen i got back and turned on my laptop, i had the logo screen load and the instantly...
  4. The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CertUtil

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CertUtil: CertUtil CertUtil -dump https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%BF%90%E8%A1%8Ccertutil%E6%98%AF%E5%81%9A/d3b803fa-d285-4cdf-bd54-5396e791c824
  6. CertUtil

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CertUtil: CertUtil CertUtil -dump https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E8%BF%90%E8%A1%8Ccertutil%E6%98%AF%E5%81%9A/d3b803fa-d285-4cdf-bd54-5396e791c824
  7. CertUtil

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Original checksum of system files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Original checksum of system files: Hello,Could anyone help me with, where I can find original uncorrupted checksum/hash values SHA256 of windows system files online- so that I can verify my system file's hash value with Microsoft's original value....
  9. Built-in SHA MD5 Checksum

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Built-in SHA MD5 Checksum: Is there any built-in tool to check up file checksum in Windows 10? There was a piece of software "Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier" but it's too old and obsolete. There are softwares like "HashCheck" which is published under BSD licence and Microsoft has no problem...
  10. Verify Checksum Prior to Dell Bios Download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Verify Checksum Prior to Dell Bios Download: IS THIS NECESSARY ??...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to et md5 using certutil

2. certutil hashfile md5

3. certutil hashfile md5 download

4. verify hashfile using certutil,
  5. how to use certutil for checksum,
  6. verify md5 checksum with certutil,
  7. certutil windows check hash,
  8. certutil .md5 check,
  9. certutil-hashfile c:\Users\JDoe\Desktop\abc.exe SHA512