Windows 10: How to view 2nd drive?

Discus and support How to view 2nd drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay, so I've bought a SSD recently, and put it in my desktop as a secondary drive (for storage). However, it's not showing up. My primary drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tengeezer, Jul 2, 2016.

1. tengeezer Win User

How to view 2nd drive?

Okay, so I've bought a SSD recently, and put it in my desktop as a secondary drive (for storage).

However, it's not showing up.

My primary drive is a traditional HDD, so BIOS is running in IDE mode.

Basically, how am I able to view the new SSD in Win10?

Cheers.

(I know people will think I'm supposed to have it the other way round with an SSD as a boot drive and the HDD as a storage drive, but this is not the discussion here).

:)

tengeezer, Jul 2, 2016
  2. Sassywax Win User

How to reload video card in windows 10

I need to reload my video card in order to get the 2nd screen to view properly and clearly. How do I do that?

Sassywax, Jul 2, 2016
  3. windows 10 outlook view pane

i just purchased my dell laptop with windows 10 and not happy how my mails are arriving on my mailbox. first how to view 2nd it converges on the messages even if it is not related. So confusing. messages should come or posted as it comes not as a sub message
    on earlier messages. how to restore to view that way.

AngeloBucsit, Jul 2, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

How to view 2nd drive?

You might have to make it a discussion; I'm not sure the SSD is going to show up with the BIOS in IDE mode. However, let's see what the others have to add, they just might have the perfect solution for you *Smile

RolandJS, Jul 2, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    The SSD will show up in IDE mode. It is just recommended to install in AHCI mode for better performance. But, if you change the mode now with your OS drive in IDE mode, the computer won't boot. If you would like to change it later, let us know.

Right click on the start flag at the bottom left, select Disk Management, you should get a popup saying a disk needs to be initialized. If so, click yes, create primary partition and follow the prompts. If you don't get the popup, look at the bottom of the screen and see if you see a drive with no drive letter. If so Right Click > Select 'Change Drive Letter or Path' > Next Screen select New > then follow the prompts. Once it has a partition, is formatted and has a drive letter, you should be able to see it in This PC.

essenbe, Jul 2, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jul 2, 2016
  7. tengeezer Win User
    Hmmm, my secondary SSD isn't showing up in Windows. Disk Manager just shows the primary HDD.

Obviously I can't run in AHCI mode, because the HDD will fail to boot Windows.

tengeezer, Jul 2, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

How to view 2nd drive?

Please look in BIOS and see if the SSD shows up there. I would also check my connections and check that both wires on both ends of the wires are completely seated. If we had your system specs we may be able to give a little better advice.

essenbe, Jul 2, 2016
  9. tengeezer Win User
    Yep, it shows in the BIOS just fine. It's a Samsung 750 Evo.

tengeezer, Jul 2, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    Just to check, did you look in Device Manager or Disk Management? You need to be in Disk Management.

essenbe, Jul 2, 2016
  11. tengeezer Win User
    Yes, I checked Diskmgmt.

tengeezer, Jul 2, 2016
  12. tengeezer Win User
    Alright, someone else posted a similar question on Microsoft's forums, where they said to run the Troubeshooter, which I did.

The good news is that the Troubleshooter found the errors.

The bad news is that it was unable to fix them, as per screenshot below.

How to view 2nd drive? [​IMG]

tengeezer, Jul 2, 2016
  13. essenbe Win User

How to view 2nd drive?

Try to reboot and see if the changes made will cause Windows to recognize the SSD.

essenbe, Jul 2, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    If that doesn't work, go to Devices and Printers and at the top of the window select Add a Device. It will scan for new hardware. Also go to Device manager and select Disk Drives and expand that, see if the SSD is listed.

If that fails, we'll try diskpart next.

essenbe, Jul 2, 2016
  15. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Jul 2, 2016
Thema:

How to view 2nd drive?

1. How to view 2nd drive? - Similar Threads - view 2nd drive

2. Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 on 2nd drive: Hi I currently have a 1Tb HDD, partitioned into ‘C’ one-third and ‘D’two-thirds. ‘C’ is Windows 10 and apps, ‘D’ is data docs, spreadsheets, music…. I have a spare 240Gb SSD 2.5 inch which I’d like to useas the boot drive, with the aim of making Windows 10 start quicker,...
  3. Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installation Apps and Data on 2nd Drive: I have Dell XPS8940 machine with two drives SSD ( C:) and HDD ( D:) with SATA operation and configured in BIOS for RAID mode. My OS is Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685 ). I wish all new apps and folders: downloads, documents, music, pictures, videos be installed on D: drive...
  4. cant properly use 2nd drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cant properly use 2nd drive: my second drive has a corrupted version of windows on it that doesn't work and I've tried everything to delete it, I'm just wanting to not spend money on a new drive, the only thing i need is more drive space, after all modern warfare has a very big file size... i just need...
  5. Task View black on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task View black on 2nd monitor: I have a dual monitor set up. When I use Task View, it looks fine on my main monitor but on my 2nd monitor it's black and the program windows are black too. I can still see the name and the outlines of the windows on the 2nd monitor on Task View but they're all black. I've...
  6. Bitlock adding 2nd drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlock adding 2nd drive: Hello, I have a laptop which is bit locked. I do not have the bit locker key or password, but I have a 6 digit PIN. I can start the laptop successfully with the pin and login to Windows 10. If I add a 2nd internal hard drive, which is say already formatted to FAT32, or...
  7. Problems with 2nd NVME drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems with 2nd NVME drive: I am building a new system to dual boot, I have installed both operating systems on different drives, Linux on one of the NVME drives and Windows ver 1909 on a SATA SSD. IN BIOS/UEFI I always see both NVME drives but when logging into Windows it sometimes sees both drives...
  8. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  9. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  10. How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?

How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?: Hi, all: Seeing this thread, being preoccupied today with work projects, and generally obsessing over the imminent arrival of my first system with dual internal drives, I must ask my next really stupid question: How do I relocate my data from "My Documents" on the 256GB...