Windows 10: How to wake from hibernation only through power button?

Discus and support How to wake from hibernation only through power button? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I added hibernate into power menu so I can hibernate my Windows 10 now. But the thing is, the machine will wake from hibernation simply by a mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zzzhhh, Jan 20, 2018.

1. zzzhhh Win User

How to wake from hibernation only through power button?

I added hibernate into power menu so I can hibernate my Windows 10 now. But the thing is, the machine will wake from hibernation simply by a mouse move. This is not what I want. I just upgraded from Windows 7 so I want Win10 to behave like Win7 as much as possible. On Windows 7, I have to press the power button on chassis to wake from hibernation. How do I make it on Windows 10, i.e, wake from hibernation only through power button instead of mouse move? Thanks.

:)

zzzhhh, Jan 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 wakes from hibernation every morning

My Dell XPS 8900 Windows 10 computer wakes from hibernation every morning either into full operating mode or sleep. It does not wake from hibernation during the day. I have done the following w/o fixing the problem:

• Set sleep to start after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    • Disabled all devices from waking computer.
    • Disabled wake-on-LAN on the network adapter.
    • Unplugged the network adapter at night.
    • Checked Task Scheduler that no tasks are allowed to wake the computer.
    • Moved all task schedules to daytime.
    • Had Dell Support remotely work on it twice.
    • Chatted with Microsoft who only wanted to tell me how to enable hibernation, not to keep my computer hibernated.
    • Tonight I will clean boot my computer with all services disabled and the only peripheral unplugged but I'm not optimistic.
    I suspect Windows 10. If it's one of my applications instead, how to I identify the offending app and what about causes my computer to restart. It seems to me that is should be easy to unconditionally hibernate a computer to only wake up when directed
    by pressing the power button. I expect this be the default and enabling any "autowake" should should be a more difficult process. Is there a software tool to assure that a computer will only come out of hibernation when directed by pressing the power button?

WindowOnColorado, Jan 20, 2018
  3. DaveCG Win User
    Transition from sleep to hibernate fails

I have a problem with my laptop not hibernating from sleep following the creators edition update.

Before the update I had my machine set to sleep after 20 minutes and hibernate after 30 minutes

For my usage this worked perfectly, if I didn't wake the machine up from sleep then

I would probably not be back for some time so would hibernate to save power.

Following the creators update my laptop would sleep fine but when it wakes to hibernate it fails and

goes back to sleep. This repeats for ever until I wake the machine.

If I manually hibernate the laptop it works fine.

I have tracked the problem down to a wake timer being set for a backup to a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

This wake timer prevents hibernating from sleep even if the wake timer is set for many hours in the future.

If I disable the task that sets this wake timer the sleep then hibernate operation works as it used to but

of course the backup never runs.

If I change the power option for wake timers to important events only the laptop works as it used to but it does not wake up

to carry out the backup.

I have carried out a number of tests and have discovered that any wake timer that is timed within 24 hours of the

attempt to go from sleep to hibernate will cause the transition to fail.

Could someone please test this as I can't believe this is how Microsoft designed it!!

DaveCG, Jan 20, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 20, 2018
  5. zzzhhh Win User
    Thank you Brink for your prompt and detailed reply. But the answer disables the mouse from waking the computer from both sleep and hibernation. What if I want to prevent the mouse from waking from hibernation but at the same time allow it to wake the machine from sleep?

zzzhhh, Jan 20, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Waking from sleep and/or hibernate go hand in hand. I don't believe you can prevent it from one without also for the other.

Brink, Jan 20, 2018
  7. zzzhhh Win User
    It is true from a programmer's point of view, but from a regular user's point of view, sleep and hibernation are far apart with almost nothing in common -- sleep is a low power-consumption mode, we still have to supply electricity, it can be waken up easily by move the mouse a bit or press space bar. While hibernation is just power off with desktop saved so that when we power the machine on again, the desktop remains unchanged so we can easily resume our work left last time. Since it is no different from power on, we have to press power button and wait a while for the machine to be on. -- This is a common consumer's point of view. Don't explain computer architecture or other technology to try to persuade these users. An operating system, especially a consumer-oriented one like Windows, should follow the standpoint and habit of normal user instead of that of a programmer. Of course, Microsoft can allege that Windows 10 was just designed for programmers, but compared to another OS that indeed gladly admits so (Linux), Windows is rubbish.

PS: I can do that in windows 7. I can wake from sleep with keyboard but cannot wake from hibernation with keyboard in Windows 7.

zzzhhh, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to wake from hibernation only through power button? - Similar Threads - wake hibernation through

2. Hibernation Wake With Power Button

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hibernation Wake With Power Button: So I often use the hibernation feature over the sleep feature, and I've had a small problem. Whenever I try to use hibernation on my desktop, it wakes on any mouse movement. This leads to it almost always randomly turning back on while I'm in bed or something. On my laptop I...
  3. power button and hibernate query

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power button and hibernate query: When I quickly press the Power Button on my laptop, it is set to go into Hibernate. Two times lately, it seemingly is going into Hibernate, the machine powers down and suddenly it comes right back out of what should be Hibernate. The first time it did this, I rebooted the...
  4. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  5. Wake from sleep only with power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  6. System waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    System waking from hibernate: I have used gpedit.msc to set Enable Windows Update Power Management to disabled but still I come back to my laptop after hibernating it and find it is awake and that powercfg -lastwake shows: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0]...
  7. Wake from hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake from hibernation: My system goes into Hibernate mode in 180 minutes when I don’t use it and I have to wake it up by pressing the power button. The problem is that I use my laptop mainly as a desktop machine and need to lift the lid and press the button often. Is there any way to wake up the...
  8. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep: My system: Win 10 64 bit Retail, MSI B150M Mortar, Intel i5-6500, Samsung 512GB SSD, Corsair 2 x 4 GB Memory, etc. Although my keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the PC from sleep (in Device Manager), they don't wake the PC. Interestingly, pressing the "Power Button"...
  9. PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

in Windows 10 Support
    PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?): My wife's Mac Mini is so old Apple will not update the OS, stating the hardware is too old. I think Apple just wants us to purchase a new Mac. *What We didn't. I built her a new PC with a mix of older, but still good hardware. *Thumbs So far so good but I have hit a snag....
  10. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop: I check the bios, and there is nothing about using the keyboard to wake up the cpu from sleep. 94796

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to wake from hibernation without power button