Windows 10: How to write-protect USB pen?

Discus and support How to write-protect USB pen? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I'd like to write protect my usb pen drive (Kingston DataTraveler 2.0) but it has got no hardware switch. Is there any way to w/protect it via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JoeMcLutz, May 11, 2017.

1. JoeMcLutz Win User

How to write-protect USB pen?

Hi.
    I'd like to write protect my usb pen drive (Kingston DataTraveler 2.0) but it has got no hardware switch. Is there any way to w/protect it via Windows 10 software?

Thank you!
    Joe

:)

JoeMcLutz, May 11, 2017

2. usb write protection

Kapil thats OK but how to disable from USB drive to pc .

JyotiprakashNayak, May 11, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, May 11, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

EdTittel, May 11, 2017
  5. JoeMcLutz Win User
    JoeMcLutz, May 12, 2017
  6. I get an error message when using my thumb drive on my Raspberry Pi's (Linux), then plugging them into my Windows PC. I'm transferring files via sneaker net so write protecting isn't going to work for me. I just ignore the error message and carry on. Even though it says something is wrong with the drive its still usable, it's just a small annoyance for me.

alphanumeric, May 12, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Write protecting drive using Windows only works for Windows usage. TVs etc probably use a proprietary OS or a form of linux etc.. No software based protection will stop them making changes.

cereberus, May 12, 2017
  8. JoeMcLutz Win User

Yes: I think you're right. I'd do less effort just ignoring it. Thanks.

JoeMcLutz, May 12, 2017
  9. JoeMcLutz Win User
    After all, I think it would go like this so... Let's just ignore it. Thank you.

JoeMcLutz, May 12, 2017
  10. EdTittel Win User
    FWIW, I had the same issues on a USB Flash Drive I plugged into my Asus WAP/router. Sometimes, ignoring trouble is better than shooting it!
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 15, 2017
  11. JoeMcLutz Win User
    I agree: sometimes it's not worth the pain. *Smile

JoeMcLutz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to write-protect USB pen? - Similar Threads - write protect USB

2. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  3. How to remove write protection on usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove write protection on usb: I wanted to install windows 8.1 on a windows 7 computer so I put the iso file on a usb drive and made it bootable but after I tried booting from it it said I had to change it to MBR since it was on GPT but I couldn’t because it said it was write protected. How do I fix this I...
  4. How to Format Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Format Write Protected USB: How to Format Write Protected USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-write-protected-usb/b9a2e8f6-aa52-40df-858b-1fecf8cc7954
  5. How to Format Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Format Write Protected USB: How to Format Write Protected USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-write-protected-usb/b9a2e8f6-aa52-40df-858b-1fecf8cc7954
  6. How to Format Write-protected USB Pen Drive in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Format Write-protected USB Pen Drive in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to format a write-protected USB pen drive on Windows 11/10, here is how you can do that. There are three methods to format a write-protected USB flash drive, and all of them are built into either your system or the device you are trying to format. Whether...
  7. Pen Drive Write Protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pen Drive Write Protected: Hi everyone! I have a 4 GB Transcend pen drive which I formatted few days back. But I think that I made any mistake in formatting the pen drive I think I disturbed the file system column which made my pen drive Write Protected as shown in the attachment below. This had made...
  8. Usb Write Protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Usb Write Protected: I can not delete or copy anything on my usb it sasy write protected its even did same to my phones external storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-write-protected/93973814-ac33-4479-a0c8-b87845914fb6"
  9. Usb Write Protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Write Protected: Hi there I have an issue with a usb stick I don't no how it got write protected but I cant format it or anything.i have tried the disk part with cmd and it doesn't work and the disk registry doesn't work either must I throw it away?I don't no if it has something to do...
  10. Write Protected USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Write Protected USB: Hi, Yesterday I just bought a HP 32gb flash drive. And when I tried to connect it with my laptop, immediately It shows a pop up message to Format the USB first, tried formatting it with the default method (by right clicking and selecting the format option) . then it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove write protect on usb drive via tenforum