Windows 10: How will Microsoft Distribute Non-Upgrade Non-OEM Windows 10?

Discus and support How will Microsoft Distribute Non-Upgrade Non-OEM Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First, we know it's a given that pretty much everyone with Windows 7 and 8/8.1 will get the upgrade free if they want it. Also, when buying a new PC,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wynona, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Wynona Win User

How will Microsoft Distribute Non-Upgrade Non-OEM Windows 10?

First, we know it's a given that pretty much everyone with Windows 7 and 8/8.1 will get the upgrade free if they want it. Also, when buying a new PC, it will most likely come with Windows 10 installed.

However, there has only been speculation (in just about every thread) as to how Microsoft will distribute Windows 10. So, I thought maybe it would be good to get our speculation all in one place. Besides, I've had a few thoughts (dangerous ones, probably) on the subject.

Let's set out a few scenarios and see what comes up . . .

Building a new PC: How would you install Windows if it doesn't come on a DVD and you have no way to download?

What about UEFI installation? What about Legacy BIOS on an older machine.

Do you think it might be possible to buy a USB flash drive with Windows 10?

What about a hard drive with Windows 10? Stick it in the newly built PC, start it up and it installs?

OK, I've put out some outlandish ideas . . . what are yours?

:)

Wynona, Apr 13, 2015
  2. Strigon12 Win User

Even though I installed the Insider Version of Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 Full Version(32-bit/64-bit) do I get Windows 10 Full Version?

That partly answered my question and it partly didnt. I want to know that if I opt out and roll back and then upgrade. Will I have the non-oem version of Windows 10 because I have the non-oem version of Windows 8.1.

Strigon12, Apr 13, 2015
  3. Isaac_841 Win User
    Bought two computers with windows 7 and upgraded to windows 10 on both, wanted to transfer one to a newly built PC

The motherboard and the OS communicate with each other, if i were to replace the motherboard it would be the same scenario because microsoft seems to sell OEM versions of windows 10. However, there has to be a non-OEM version right? Where would I buy the
    non-OEM version?

Isaac_841, Apr 13, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

MS is going to have to have a DVD for sale for new PCs. I just can't see it not happening.

BunnyJ, Apr 13, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    I think you will be able to buy a Windows 10 DVD. It may also be available as a download.

Winuser, Apr 13, 2015
  6. NickTh Win User
    [Conjecture ON]
    There will no DVDs available in the market. You will be able to by retail license keys only from Microsoft online. Then, and after you buy the license, you will be able to download an ISO image(by typing your license key in a special site provided by Microsoft or partners). Then you can burn this image to DVD or USB.
    You will be able to download the same ISO image limited times in a particular period of time (e.g. 24 months, 5 downloads).
    [Conjecture OFF]

How about this ?

NickTh, Apr 14, 2015
  7. Wynona Win User
    How about it, Nick? *Smile

OK, how about this? I build my own computers. The last one I had croaked and I can no longer get onto the Internet. How in the Sam Hill do I now install Windows 10? *Smile

Yeah, it's one of those things . . . what if I'm not willing to go to Fry's and buy a new Windows 10 computer? I wanna build my own! *Sad

Wynona, Apr 14, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

You will be able to buy a Win 10 DVD at your favorite store or at NewEgg.

9. Wynona Win User
    Hopefully, Gary. But what about some of the more "out there" ideas? Like on a flash drive or hard drive?

Wynona, Apr 14, 2015
  10. I guess I will go out on a limb and put in my 2 cents.
    1. they are giving it away this year for free.
    2 What is up with one-get
    3 Redmond is going to have two releases in 2015
    to me it sounds like how Linux Distros are done.
    I think you will be able to download any current release out there and install it like Ubuntu or Fedora or any of the others.
    Shipinomore

shipinomore10, Apr 14, 2015
  11. Winuser Win User
    I don't see Windows 10 being download only. This would hurt people with slow or limited data internet connections. Years ago it use to take me days to download new releases of Mandrake Linux over my dial up connection.

Winuser, Apr 14, 2015
  12. Gary Win User
    A boot-able Flash Drive would be nice.

13. Wynona Win User

Sure would. *Smile

Wynona, Apr 14, 2015
  14. NickTh Win User
    You should be able to download the ISO (again) from another PC (friend's PC ? ) or you should have take care of a bootable DVD/USB from the first time.

The only reason the conjecture I made will likely fail, is what Winuser said. Lot of people still have slow Internet connection or expensive Internet connection. So, probably Windows will go the usual way, with available DVDs (maybe USBs as well) in the market.

I'm imagine a cloud OS , somewhere far in the future. Cloud OS I said, meaning the whole OS stored in the cloud, sign in to your Microsoft account and (depending on your Internet speed) you have the OS up and running on your machine(any machine, thanks to convergence).

NickTh, Apr 14, 2015
  15. I know we're all guessing here, but my guess is that MS will NOT make Win10 available in "box" form. Why?

Because MS has implied that this is the last OS they are going to sell, which also means (if this is true), that they need to make the most revenue they can from this OS. And, packaging, distribution, retail sales -- all these cost money. Adding another ISO to the many they already store on their server farms costs next to nothing. You pay for access to the ISO. You pay for the bandwidth to download that ISO to your local PC. You pay for the bootable media -- USB stick or DVD.

If I were to choose where MS invests their Windows 10 money, instead of providing physical retail product, I would invest it in developing an extremely accurate installation analyzer front-end to their installer that would tell customers IN ADVANCE, exactly what on their PC is not going to work after an Win10 upgrade is made.

Why? Because most of the Windows population out here is running Win7, not Win8. And, many of those machines are "ancient" in comparison to what you get today with a new Win8.1 PC. IF you're MS, the last thing you want is millions of Win7 customers suddenly ending up with nonfunctional PCs because they unwittingly charged ahead into a Win10 upgrade, not knowing that it would end up crippling or trashing their PCs.

That's my 2-cents.

Mark Phelps, Apr 15, 2015
Thema:

1. How will Microsoft Distribute Non-Upgrade Non-OEM Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Distribute Non

2. How to upgrade Windows 11 OEM home to a NON-OEM home or pro version?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to upgrade Windows 11 OEM home to a NON-OEM home or pro version?: How to upgrade Windows 11 OEM home to a NON-OEM home or pro version?We have to move over a Windows 11 OEM home version to another motherboard PC, the first MoBo has defects and has to be exchanged.We understood that a NON OEM version can be transferred to another motherboard...
  3. How to upgrade Windows 11 OEM home to a NON-OEM home or pro version?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to upgrade Windows 11 OEM home to a NON-OEM home or pro version?: How to upgrade Windows 11 OEM home to a NON-OEM home or pro version?We have to move over a Windows 11 OEM home version to another motherboard PC, the first MoBo has defects and has to be exchanged.We understood that a NON OEM version can be transferred to another motherboard...
  4. Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices: Hi,I bought a new ASUS laptop Laptop A with windows 10 OEM pre-installed. I do not have a record of this keyI performed the free upgrade on laptop A that was permitted at the time to windows 11I then installed a windows 8 PRO key standalone / non-Oem that I bought years ago...
  5. Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices

Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices: Hi,I bought a new ASUS laptop Laptop A with windows 10 OEM pre-installed. I do not have a record of this keyI performed the free upgrade on laptop A that was permitted at the time to windows 11I then installed a windows 8 PRO key standalone / non-Oem that I bought years ago...
  6. Windows 11 + non-signed Linux distribution on separate drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 + non-signed Linux distribution on separate drives: Hello people,I have a computer with two SSDs. On the first SSDs I have Windows 11 installed, with secure boot enabled. The second SSD is currently empty, but I would like to install Gentoo Linux on that drive. Gentoo is not signed and thus will not be able to boot easily...
  7. Windows 11 + non-signed Linux distribution on separate drives

Windows 11 + non-signed Linux distribution on separate drives: Hello people,I have a computer with two SSDs. On the first SSDs I have Windows 11 installed, with secure boot enabled. The second SSD is currently empty, but I would like to install Gentoo Linux on that drive. Gentoo is not signed and thus will not be able to boot easily...
  8. How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?: I have a old laptop on which I am doing some cleaning from the software side. I want to install Windows the retail way instead of the OEM way, without actually buying a copy of Windows, because I already have while buying this laptop....
  9. How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?

How to install a non-OEM version of Windows on a OEM machine?: I have a old laptop on which I am doing some cleaning from the software side. I want to install Windows the retail way instead of the OEM way, without actually buying a copy of Windows, because I already have while buying this laptop....
  10. Upgrade to non-working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to non-working: I have auto-upgrade on and last nite it upgraded to 1903, now it won't even turn on. I am using an amd opteron, 52gigs ram, win10, 6tbs hdd accum. 8/16 core cpu. Is there a problem with the update? If so how can I get it off if I can't bootup?...