Windows 10: How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10?

Discus and support How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Updating an Insider Preview copy to official? Downloading an ISO and formatting and fresh installing the official release? Upgrading directly from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delicieuxz, Jul 9, 2015.

1. How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10?

Updating an Insider Preview copy to official?
    Downloading an ISO and formatting and fresh installing the official release?
    Upgrading directly from Windows 7, or 8?

I think I will let this temp installation of Windows 7 receive the update, then after I've ensured that my Windows 7 license has registered with the free upgrade offer, I'll download an ISO of the full release, and format and reinstall Windows 10 from the ISO. Then I'll reinstall Windows 7 on a separate partition, and hopefully experience no issues with using the same registered license for Windows 10 and Windows 7 for dual-booting on one PC.

:)

Delicieuxz, Jul 9, 2015

2. How do I upgrade to the Official Release Windows 10 from Build 10162?

I believe this will keep you on the test builds (although you could do slow ring so only the better ones get applied). If you truly want off the test track, the only way to do it is a clean install of the original OS (7 or 8, be sure to activate) then application
    of the final 10 release (which only activates if you are a test insider, or installed from a previously-activated OS).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 9, 2015
  3. davemckay(2), Jul 9, 2015
  4. nt62 Win User

How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10?

Perhaps it might be better to keep 7 and 10 on separate SSDs or HDDs.
    Your home PC would be well served if your storage media is bootable and removable.

If both drives are connected at the same time,
    one of them will seek to retain the MBR if a second system is installed.

Dual-booting 7 and 10 on the same storage device could cause other problems.

I am NOT going to be UPGRADING 8 to 10.
    ... don't use 7 anymore. No transitions. 10 will be around for awhile. Not in any rush to hurry up and wait.

Good Luck with your plans.

nt62, Jul 9, 2015
  5. The Dell Core Duo business box ( mostly casual use box ) is going to roll in the reserved Windows 10 pro OS on or about the 29th .

This dual boot daily driver ,media player and test bed 7 x64 /Win 10 test build nerve center here will stay like it is for the duration of the testing or whenever the free OS product key exchange ends before I migrate it over permanently .

The i7 Sandybridge workstation and all the outboard gear will remain on 7 x64 sp1 for a good while ( maybe see what shakes out with code Blue ) or whatever the big update is in early 2016 then think about migrating it depending on that and existing software (or updates ) ,vst plug ins and outboard HDWE compatibilities at the time.

A lot of that stuff is just this year getting to Windows 8.1 anyway which shouldent preclude it from W10 but U never know on any given piece of HDWE or some software so that will involve a fair amount of validation here or trying things (in there) on this box in W10 first which may work or not (on that box either way ) so I'm not leaning in that direction ☻....

blutos cousin, Jul 9, 2015
  6. MrQueely Win User
    I used to run Linux but switched to Windows 10 Insider Preview which I plan to remain on as long as the program is available.
    I love testing out all the new things.
    I will buy a DVD of Win 10 eventually though, just not in the first year.

MrQueely, Jul 9, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    I'll be doing exactly as you plan to Delicieuxz, but I will be formatting all my internal drives after backing up all the data to my NAS.

Don't forget to unplug any drives after C: as Windows is known to install parts of the OS on them. If you decide to replace or upgrade one of those drives later, it could cause problems.

swarfega, Jul 9, 2015
  8. How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10?

I'll upgrade 3 of my PC's from 8.1 to 10 via the free offer. The other one is already upgraded from Windows 7 to the Insider Preview. I'll upgrade that one to the final too via the free upgrade offer. After that, if there are any issues, I'll do a clean install. What the issues are will determine if I reinstall 10 or go back to 8.1.

alphanumeric, Jul 9, 2015
  9. Boozad Win User
    I'll be upgrading my backup rig and laptop from 7 Pro. I'll be staying on the IP on my main rig dual booting with 7. Depending on how much I use 10 compared to 7 I may upgrade my 7 install on my main to 10 before the years out, doubtful but possible.

Boozad, Jul 9, 2015
  10. OK you asked
    I have too many computers: *Roflmao2*Roflmao2*Roflmao2
    I have a little EeePC with 2Gb and a 120 GB SSD. That is going from 7 Starter (just putting it back on now) to 10 and I think I am going to sell that one.
    My Toshiba Lappy will be upgraded to Windows 10. Just because laptops perform better on the latest OS.
    The 3 Media PC's are staying on Windows 7 for Media Center reasons. They are my DVR TV PC's used for Netflix Amazon etc
    Tammy's computer will stay on Windows 7 Ultimate and I'll use a spare key to put 7 Pro on the SSD to dual boot with 10 so it is there when she feels the need.
    Tammy's Laptop is staying on Windows 7 for now. I'd like to keep living so I am leaving it be.
    Main PC1 Currently dual boots 7 Ultimate with 8.1. Probably remove 8.1 and put 7 pro on then upgrade to 10 then clean install 10 to dual boot with 7
    Main PC2 Currently dual boots 7 Ultimate with 8.1. Probably remove 8.1 and put 7 pro on then upgrade to 10 then clean install 10 to dual boot with 7
    Main PC3 Staying on Windows 7 Ultimate for the time being. These 3 PC's also used for Virtual machines. Some of the Windows 7 VM will be upgraded to 10 Core and Pro. Currently running 5 x 10 VM.
    Main PC 4 Staying on Windows 7 Ultimate. Not sure if 10 offers enough for me to upgrade this handy extra PC.
    Dell 1909 all in one. Running Windows 7 Ultimate, probably going to upgrade to 10. This is in the wife's sewing room so it is a way of getting her to use 10 or not.
    Keep the 2 Windows 8.1 with Media Center licences handy if some replacement for Media Center is not forthcoming by 2020. Of course things could be different so a DVR is no longer needed and we can stream on demand anything on TV by then. Yes I do own plenty of licences for Windows 7.

Indianatone, Jul 9, 2015
  11. I'll be upgrading Windows 8.1 to 10 so I can get the vanilla file to do a fresh install. I will then remove my current drive and install a RAID SSD (2 500GB's) and do a fresh install of Windows 10. Once that's done I'll migrate the files from the old drive over I want to keep. This is my main machine.

My other two systems, a laptop for writing, an a Dell box as a Steam Machine), will just get the upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I might use the old SSD from my main system in the Dell box and just clone its drive.

thunderclap, Jul 9, 2015
  12. That is a great question. Frankly I have no idea. I just put together three pcs...found my win 7 disk is OEM and can't use...about to get three new keys...the thinking go through all that...then upgrade only to do a fresh install win 10...scratching his head!

andrew124C41, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10?

1. How will you be transitioning to official release Windows 10? - Similar Threads - transitioning official release

2. Switching to Windows 11 official release

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching to Windows 11 official release: Hi, I am a Windows Insider in the Release Preview channel. I was wondering how can I switch to the official release of Windows 11 without losing my files? I have no spare drive installed or portable. This question has been at the back of my mind and it would be greatly...
  3. Switching to Windows 11 official release

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching to Windows 11 official release: Hi, I am a Windows Insider in the Release Preview channel. I was wondering how can I switch to the official release of Windows 11 without losing my files? I have no spare drive installed or portable. This question has been at the back of my mind and it would be greatly...
  4. Windows 11 Official Release Build Number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Official Release Build Number: Please, I would like to know the latest windows 11 official release build number. I google searched and found 22000.194. Is this the current official release build number?...
  5. What is the official Windows 11 Beta or Official Version release date?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the official Windows 11 Beta or Official Version release date?: According to many 3rd part sites, the launch date is being told 25 June 2021 but there are no official messages by Microsoft and only cracked versions are there on the internet. Can anyone tell if this is a myth or is this official and if yes then what is the tentative Beta...
  6. Babylon.js 4.0 officially now released

in Windows 10 News
    Babylon.js 4.0 officially now released: We cannot be more excited to share that Babylon.js 4.0 has officially been released. This version of Babylon.js is a major step forward in one of the world’s leading WebGL-based, graphics engines. Babylon.js 4.0 represents an incredible amount of hard work by a very...
  7. Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809

Official Release Date of Windows 10 Version 1809: Hello everyone! I am using Windows 10 version 1803. I know that Windows 10 version 1809 is now released to many people. However, I checked Windows Update (and even Windows Update Assistant) to update my version but they all say that "You are up-to-date". Do you know...
  8. Buggy official releases

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Buggy official releases: I wonder sometimes. If MS go so through such rigorous insider testing, and their own testing and debugging... do we still get official releases with so many bugs? Surely issues should be ironed out before public release? I know they put an artificial time restraint on new...
  9. upgrading to official Win 10 when released

upgrading to official Win 10 when released: I have a desktop with Win 8.1 and I am planning to put on it Win 10 TP. When the official Win 10 is released, will I be able to just update the desktop with it without reinstalling all the applications? I presume so but I would like to verify, thank you. 5200
  10. Microsoft releases official retail pricing for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft releases official retail pricing for Windows 10: Microsoft’s free Windows 10 upgrade deal is looking better and better all the time. For if you already own a genuine Windows PC, you could be saving yourself upwards of a huundred to almost two hundred dollars. Microsoft confirmed Monday that the company will sell Windows...