Windows 10: How would I be able to sort out my disk partitions without formatting

Discus and support How would I be able to sort out my disk partitions without formatting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've recently noticed that my disk partitions/volumes are all kinds of weird there appears to be multiple of the same volume but with different sizes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by deanreid, Jul 21, 2017.

1. deanreid Win User

How would I be able to sort out my disk partitions without formatting

I've recently noticed that my disk partitions/volumes are all kinds of weird there appears to be multiple of the same volume but with different sizes and I'm confused as to how I've managed to do this. I would prefer if I didn't have to format the drives but if its required then I'll just have to deal with it.

How would I be able to sort out my disk partitions without formatting [​IMG]

:)

deanreid, Jul 21, 2017
  2. TinVukas Win User

Converting disk partition GPT to MBR while installing Windows

Hi everyone,

so I have started my Windows 10 install as usual and I got the error I cannot install on the disk because the disk is of the GPT partition style. I thought if I format the partition i want to install windows and create a new one thing will sort out. I did
    that and of course nothing changed. I now I can convert the disk to MBR style via CMD but I dont want to delete everything I have on my disk because I have one partition for windows and such and another partition for my private stuff such as pictures, music
    etc and I dont want to lose those.

Is there a way to convert disk partition style at this step (because as I said i already formatted partition that has Windows so I dont have them installed anymore) or something else I can do without losing my data.

Thanks a lot.

Br,

Tin

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum topic.***

TinVukas, Jul 21, 2017
  3. How to delete and extend a partition in Windows 10.

Wow, what sort of partition layout is this?! 3 primary partitions without drive letters (372MB, 99.65GB and 2.89GB) that are all 100% free? On top of that
    four recovery partitions (450MB, 450MB, 731MB and 18.36GB)?

Anyway, you should be able to delete the 99.65GB and 2.89GB partitions immediately after C: and extend C: using Disk Management itself, without the need for third-party partitioning tools.

RobertJWin, Jul 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Agreed- your Windows partitions are scattered across your disks.

A way to reconstruct Windows with everything on the same disk has been documented several times on this forum.
    a. Use disk imaging (which you should be using routinely if you follow the recommendations repeated strenuously here) and image your existing C:
    b. Delete other partitions elsewhere related to Windows
    c. To be on the safe side, disconnect or disable all other disks.
    d. Wipe your current system disk and reinstall Windows on it
    e. Check all partitions are there (there's then really no other option anyway!) and it boots ok.
    f. Replace the newly created C: by restoring your image.
    g. Run Startup Repair
    h. Check it boots.

Note- before starting, best shrink C: a bit to allow for all partitions being on your system disk.

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    OP has got in a bit of a mess as he is using dynamic disks as far as I can tell.

OP should back up data and convert to basic disks as well.

cereberus, Jul 21, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Correct. Disks 2, 3 and 4 are dynamic disks. The colour of the G: D: H: and M: volumes indicates that they are simple volumes. It is quite possible for a dynamic disk to have a drive letter made up of a number simple volumes that have been combined over time.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help...mic-disks.html

7. Champ Win User
    Download minitool partition wizard and when it's installed open it from your desktop & select the top left square, when it loads you can use lots of the functions in there to organise and arrange you partitions etc

Champ, Jul 21, 2017
  8. deanreid Win User

I decided to just go ahead and clean the drives but now this is showing up and I can't seem to get rid of it.

How would I be able to sort out my disk partitions without formatting [​IMG]

any recommendations?

deanreid, Jul 22, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Try this, you should end up with empty unallocated disks.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

10. deanreid Win User
    When you say "empty unallocated disks" does that mean it will wipe the drive again?

deanreid, Jul 22, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    The process just removes the database that stores the dynamic disk layouts. What's left behind depends on what you did when you...
    I expect there will be no partition information (MBR or GPT) so the disk would show as 'unallocated' (or maybe 'raw'). Either way you should end up with an empty disk you can partition as you wish.

12. deanreid Win User
    I did the clean command through diskpart. and I've already started moving all my files back.

Attachment 145239

The option to remove is greyed out

EDIT: I misread and was right clicking on the wrong thing. all gone now, Thanks for the help *Smile

deanreid, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How would I be able to sort out my disk partitions without formatting - Similar Threads - able sort disk

2. Can i format a partition to nfts from vfat without having a possibillity to enter disk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i format a partition to nfts from vfat without having a possibillity to enter disk...: Well,i am trying to install Phoenix os from a bootabile USB and when it askes me -please select a partition to install Phoenix os ,i can install it only on SDA 5 which i didnt format properly to nfts format or gave it a letter with the help od partition wizard when i was...
  3. Can i format a partition to nfts from vfat without having a possibillity to enter disk...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i format a partition to nfts from vfat without having a possibillity to enter disk...: Well,i am trying to install Phoenix os from a bootabile USB and when it askes me -please select a partition to install Phoenix os ,i can install it only on SDA 5 which i didnt format properly to nfts format or gave it a letter with the help od partition wizard when i was...
  4. disk partition not able to use

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk partition not able to use: So recently I noticed that only drive C: is showing in file explorer and there used to be 4 drives from C: to F: and I checked disk management, there was disk 0 with 900GB and disk 1 with 100GB. I'm sure that disk 1 is drive C but 100GB is not enough for me so how can I use...
  5. Create and format hard disk partitions

Create and format hard disk partitions: I am attempting to set up a new SSD and I cannot open the "create and format hard disk partitions" program. every time I try, the cursor changes to loading for a second then nothing happens....
  6. how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to put the EFI partition on the beginning of the disk to be able t: Hello, I'm trying to understand the reason why sometime qemu / kvm / tianocore and also virt-manager can't boot Windows 10 physically,sometimes it can. And maybe I found the reason. Infact I found that when Windows 10 installs the EFI partition as first partition of the...
  7. What would happen if I format the whole hard disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What would happen if I format the whole hard disk: What would happen if I format the hard disk by using diskpart before installing Windows 10 and it's a UEFI system and there are several partitions of UEFI, I'm trying format because I can't find a way to install Windows since it shows a message telling that the partition is...
  8. How to partition C drive in Windows 10 without formatting

in Windows 10 News
    How to partition C drive in Windows 10 without formatting: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]I have seen a couple of computers where the Primary partition – C Drive, has extra storage space. Some computers do not have partition at all, while some have a smaller partition. Since it is not possible to delete C [...] This post How to partition C drive...
  9. Formatting of a disk with 2 old partitions

Formatting of a disk with 2 old partitions: Hi all, I have an old hard drive taken out from a Windows XP computer. The hard drive has 2 partions: one with system and all other files (docs, users and so on )and another partion which was a recovery part of the same drive. Now I want to format the whole disk and scratch...
  10. Would I be able to open any of these file formats?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Would I be able to open any of these file formats?: I want to purchase a 3D model, but the only formats provided are: SolidWorks 2014 (.sldprt, .sldasm, .slddrw) Other Parasolid IGES igs (.ige, .igs, .iges) PDF (.pdf) Would I be able to open and use any of these in MS 3D Builder? If not, what format do I need it in?...