Windows 10: HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition

Discus and support HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. I tried to install Manjaro Linux first and than Fedora 25 on my laptop, but after that I was not able to boot Windows anymore neither to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by milazzo87, Feb 6, 2017.

1. milazzo87 Win User

HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition

Hi there.

I tried to install Manjaro Linux first and than Fedora 25 on my laptop, but after that I was not able to boot Windows anymore neither to access the Recovery hitting F11 at the boot. Furthermore, I couldn't find any Windows entry hitting F9. I think the problem is that I formatted the EFI partition, and even it had been created by Manjaro Linux installer I messed things up.

Finally I used a USB installer for WIndows 10 and followed this guide:

https://blog.d0zingcat.xyz/2015/09/28/Windows/How%20to%20repair%20the%20EFI%20Bootloader%20in%20Wind...

The system works perfectly if I boot Windows 10 now, but I can't access the recovery partition and I have two boot entries , just one working. I'm thinking that one could be the original one, and the other one was created when I used the Windows 10 iso downloaded from Microsoft's website to restore the boot.

When I try to access the recovery partition hitting F11 I receive this message:

Please note this is a translation from Italian

From HP Recovery manager, started from Win10. there's written the restore is impossible because the Recovery partition was deleted, but I can actually can see it from partitioning tool. I've also tried to restore to a restore point preceding Fedora installation, but nothing changed.

Below, the HP Recovery Manager running on Windows 10 and the partition manager screenshot:

HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition [​IMG]

Is there any way to boot into the recovery partition? I tried to clone tje partition and transfer it to a bootable USB, but it doesn't work. I have also read that somewhere on the internet it's advised to simply activate the recovery partition, but I'm not able to do it wheter using Windows partition tool, MiniTool Partition Wizard or command line.

Thanks in advance!

:)

milazzo87, Feb 6, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Recovery(DHP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition :) problem

That Recovery partition contains all the data that HP have set up so you can factory restore your laptop should you ever have a system failure.

Your best option is to leave that partition as it is, you are not meant to store data on it.

If you do want to use that partition:

Open Disk Management (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Right click the partition and choose 'Format'

Please note: if you do format the partition, you will not be able to use the HP Recovery Options, you will however be able to use Windows 10 Recovery Environment to Reset Windows if you ever need to . . .

DaveM121, Feb 6, 2017
  3. FadyFam Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade will affect my recovery partition?

Windows 10 upgrade will affect my recovery partition? and if not can windows 10 read hp recovery partition so i can install drivers and software in the recovery partition witch originally came with my laptop

FadyFam, Feb 6, 2017
  4. HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition

Unfortunately, the HP Recovery Manager is hypersensitive regarding anything that tampers with the Recovery partition. Folks have tried stuff like copying to an external disk (for safekeeping), and then later, when F11 didn't work anymore, copying it back -- but that apparently does not work.

The only proven way to restore it to working state is to do a complete factory reset using HP Recovery Media -- but that starts out by reformatting and erasing the entire contents of the hard drive -- but to get that, you would have to contact HP to order it, and since the US number does not ship media outside the US and Canada, you would have to contact HP support in your country to see (1) if they have it, and (2) if they will ship it to you.

Good Luck

Mark Phelps, Feb 7, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    pressing f11 is set in the mbr so if you mess with it it wont work do you want to use it you can just download the lates win10 iso and do a clean install with updates built in. Setting the recovery parition to active then reboot should work as it will boot straight to recovery but it will be an out dated version the ms iso is uptodate Access Denied

Samuria, Feb 7, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Notice that @milazzo87 has 5 primary partitions on the hard drive. Therefore it can't be MBR.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Neither can I. I looked at the colored bars HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition :)

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2017
  8. Kyhi Win User

You need to assign drive letters to the partitions that do not have drive letters > using DISKPART
    Find the following files
    WinRE.wim
    Install.wim (or) Install^.swm(s)
    ResetPartitions.txt
    ResetConfig.xml

Now Create a Windows 10 Media USB Stick
    Delete every folder and file from within the \Sources Folder
    Copy those files into the \Sources Folder
    Rename WinRE.wim to Boot.wim
    Boot from USB and Restore the OEM OS

The F11 Function uses an assigned Key to launch the recovery environment
    Using the following command from within windows

Code: C:\Windows\System32\Reagentc /Setreimage /Path T:\Recovery\WindowsRE /Target C:\Windows /Bootkey 8500[/quote] Assuming Drive letter "T" is assigned to the WinRE Partition

BOOTKEY Codes
    F1=0x3b00 F2=0x3c00 F3=0x3d00 F4=0x3e00 F6=0x4000 F7=0x4100 F9=0x4300 F10=0x4400 F11=0x8500 F12=0x8600

Kyhi, Feb 7, 2017
  9. milazzo87 Win User
    Thanks so much, Kyhi. Am I supposed to copy all these files from the Recovery partition? After a quick search, it looks like I have some missing...

milazzo87, Feb 7, 2017
  10. Kyhi Win User
    I must assume that the winRE.wim is within the 980MB Partition and the rest are on the 16.5GB Recovery partition
    The Install.wim or install*.swm(s) are common file names..
    Resetconfig.xml is a common name - but can be anything similar in name
    Resetpartitions.txt - is the common name - but can be anything - diskpart.txt is also another name used,,

11. milazzo87 Win User
    I've found WinRE.wim and install*.swm files, but I can't find others. Below, you can find some screeshot shwoing the content of the two recovery partition. Can anyone help me to find others? Thanks to everybody for your help.

milazzo87, Feb 12, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    Once you installed the other OS, the recovery partition went away. With the two Recovery Partitions showing, the OS has no way of knowing which is which, because when you installed Linux, the Boot Manager for it took over and changed the MBR on your laptop.

bro67, Feb 12, 2017
  13. simpk5 Win User

Shouldn't there be a "System Reserved" partition also?

simpk5, Feb 12, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    That is a big if, since Windows uses that for System restore if you have to roll back. When the OP installed the two different Linux Distro's, the Grub for each one messed things up. The only way for the OP to fix the problem is to do a clean install of Windows 10, by downloading the ISO from microsoft.com. The HP drivers for the Motherboard should be installed as default Microsoft, since the Motherboards are the same for all OEM's now.

bro67, Feb 12, 2017
  15. milazzo87 Win User
    Thanks for your reply, bro67. As you can read at message #7, Kyhi gave me a possible solution to restore my system, but I can't find all files that he wrote in my recovery partitions.

I would like to restore my system if I can only because of the warranty. I've read that HP gives assistance just if the laptop has the original system installed. Of course the easiest way could be to do a fresh install of Windows 10, and I will eventually do it if I can't manage to restore the original system.I would like to give the Kyhi solution a try first, anyway.

milazzo87, Feb 12, 2017
Thema:

1. HP laptop - Can't access to Recovery partition - Similar Threads - laptop Can't access

2. Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore: I wanted to try out Linux on my old HP laptop to see if it will run better. I couldn't use some programs on linux and I got tired of trying to fix issues. I decided to reinstall Windows on my laptop. Since I deleted my previous Windows installation the recovery partition...
  3. Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot into my hp recovery partition anymore: I wanted to try out Linux on my old HP laptop to see if it will run better. I couldn't use some programs on linux and I got tired of trying to fix issues. I decided to reinstall Windows on my laptop. Since I deleted my previous Windows installation the recovery partition...
  4. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  5. Clean install + keep HP recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install + keep HP recovery partition: Hi there,so i bought a new HP pc and it came pre-installed with an activated Windows 11 *Home* and a bunch of bloatware.I have a Windows 11 *Pro* Retail USB-stick/license, so i plan to do a clean install with it.Now, I'm wondering whether it would be wise to keep the HP...
  6. Accessing installers from the recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accessing installers from the recovery partition?: Good afternoon everybody, A co-worker has an issue, she has removed her OEM version of MS Office 2013. She installed 365 and now needs 2013 back. Is there any access options to utilizing the installer from the recovery partition? Is it kept as an executable or only...
  7. Laptop Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Recovery Partition: I recently updated my Toshiba Satellite from Win 8.1 to Win 10. And everything seems to be running smoothly. My question is, how to have the recovery partition with Win 10 and not Win 8.1? Please remember the KISS principle *chuckle 40235
  8. Cannot access recovery partition in hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access recovery partition in hdd: Hi guys...... I need to recover my os..... The problem is I bought a new ssd and added it and cloned my os to the ssd...... The recovery partition that my asus rog came with is in my hdd...... How do I access it and how do I recover the os to its original state..... The hdd...
  9. OEM Recovery Partition HP Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OEM Recovery Partition HP Laptop: I own an HP 14 AC 016ne. This laptop was shipped with Windows 8.1 originally. I had upgraded the Windows to Windows 10 pro with my own licence key that I had purchased separately. I had also resized my hard drive but I never changed or touched any other partitions on it....
  10. HP Recovery Partition - Software needed?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP Recovery Partition - Software needed?: Hi, I have the Pavilion 15 with a SSD + HDD. The HP Recovery Partition is on the HDD. For my own comfort I deleted the SSD Partition and did a clean Windows 10 install, from an image grabbed on microsoft.com. I left the Recovery Partition AS IS. My questions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. /bootkey 0x4300

2. windows 10 /Bootkey 0x8500