Windows 10: Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

Discus and support Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, this issue has started fairly recently and I’m having trouble diagnosing the issue. Whenever I power on the device, the screen stays completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xjoejoex, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Xjoejoex Win User

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

Hello, this issue has started fairly recently and I’m having trouble diagnosing the issue. Whenever I power on the device, the screen stays completely pitch black and won’t display anything. After restarting the system several times over and over again, I can get the screen to light up with the hp logo, but the screen freezes and I cannot progress. If I spam the esc key while restarting, it loads me into the startup menu where I have access to the bios settings; however, whenever I click “system recovery” or continue with regular startup, the device restarts and freezes again on the hp logo. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue? The laptop is fairly new but it’s had issues in the past where it couldn’t run the newest version of Windows 10 without freezing, so instead-as if currently, it is running Windows 10, 1511 (I believe). If anyone could give any insight, I’d VERY much appreciate it. I’ve spend countless hours with this device and it’s hard not to feel hopeless.
    Thanks

:)

Xjoejoex, Jun 29, 2018
  2. Darshan J Win User

HP Laptop occasional Black Screen

Hello Tom,

Just need couple of information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your Laptop?
    • When you face black screen issue do you see any error message/code?
    • Do you see multiple Display drivers in Device manager?

Ideally there should be only one display drivers listed in device manager, If two drivers are seen possibly you could have installed two drivers or automatic updates should have installed the display drivers.

Sometimes Drivers are updated, however they may not be able get synched to the server to download the drivers. If you are not sure if the drivers are up to date you can go to manufacturer website and check for the release date and version.

When you update the troubleshooter it checks for the version and if any latest version it will update the drivers.

If you are unsure genuine drivers are installed on your Laptop, You can uninstall the drivers and download the drivers from manufacturer website and install them on your computer.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Refer the below steps to uninstall the drivers.

Uninstall the display drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager
    • Search for Display Adapter and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter
      and select Uninstall.
    • Follow the onscreen steps.

Reinstall the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Go to the manufacturer’s website and then download the latest network driver. Once you have successfully downloaded the driver you can install the driver.

Drivers and updates for HP Laptop.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Get back to us if you need further information on your query we will be happy to help you.

Darshan J, Jun 29, 2018
  3. HP Laptop occasional Black Screen

Hi...

Relating to "Black Screen Upon Startup"
    If I do not use an external monitor should I have only one (1) Display Adapter listed in my Device Driver Manager? From what I see on previous posts it is possible that my HP laptop has a problem deciding what display adapter to use. It should be noted
    that I do not get the Black Screen all the time. It only seems like I get the black screen when I really need to quickly use my pc Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally :(

1) What can I do to ensure I am using the right or un corrupted HP Laptop driver? I right clicked and the system said both drivers are up to date.

2) Do I need to delete and reinstall the driver for my laptop

3) When you right click to "Update Driver Software" is the update routine just checking the date or version of the driver? << or >> is it also checking to see if the driver is intact and does not contain any corruption?

Thank you and Good Day........Tom T

Tom T in NC, Jun 29, 2018
  4. Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

HP Laptop occasional Black Screen

Wow... Thanks When i started my HP laptop this morning i had the same issue and did a restart to clear..... Now thanks to your suggestion i set my power preference to sleep when power button is pressed..... Will let you all know how this works but thanks
    again at least there is hope!

TT

Tom T in NC, Jun 29, 2018
Thema:

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

1. Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally - Similar Threads - laptop screen won’t

2. HP laptop won’t factory reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop won’t factory reset: I have tried to factory reset my device multiple times, however it keeps saying it needs more storage. I have hardly any files and apps left on the laptop, but it still fails to factory reset. Please help, I need to use my laptop in the near future for work....
  3. HP laptop won’t factory reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laptop won’t factory reset: I have tried to factory reset my device multiple times, however it keeps saying it needs more storage. I have hardly any files and apps left on the laptop, but it still fails to factory reset. Please help, I need to use my laptop in the near future for work....
  4. HP laptop won’t factory reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HP laptop won’t boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP laptop won’t boot: I got an HP laptop last year and was using it for school and some light gaming and all of a sudden it just wouldn’t boot, So I started it up and went to try to reset it in system recovery and I got a blue screen with the stop code driver pnp watchdog. Does anyone know how to...
  6. HP laptop won’t boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laptop won’t boot: I got an HP laptop last year and was using it for school and some light gaming and all of a sudden it just wouldn’t boot, So I started it up and went to try to reset it in system recovery and I got a blue screen with the stop code driver pnp watchdog. Does anyone know how to...
  7. HP laptop won’t boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. RDP Dual Screen - Occasional Display Issue on ONE Display

RDP Dual Screen - Occasional Display Issue on ONE Display: Have been doing engineering work remote for over a year running Windows 10 Pro on work workstation and Windows 10 Home at home. Dual monitors at home and at work. We use SonicWall NetExtender to connect to work and then RDP to connect to workstations. Has been working...
  9. Laptop Screen Occasionally Flickering

Laptop Screen Occasionally Flickering: Dear MSCS I my laptop has all of a sudden started to flicker. I thought it was just in the browser, but not to long ago noticed included was the task bar. It seemed quite violent when displayed. Could you please help me with this issue....
  10. HP Laptop won’t fully charge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HP Laptop won’t fully charge: Hi My HP Pavillion (Windows 10) wont fully charge, it charges to 70% then it tells me it’s no longer charging. Laptop is only 18 months old and the battery diagnostic says the battery is okay I have tried disabling drivers, calibrating the battery, draining the battery,...