Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

Discus and support Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, this issue has started fairly recently and I’m having trouble diagnosing the issue. Whenever I power on the device, the screen stays completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xjoejoex, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Xjoejoex Win User

Hello, this issue has started fairly recently and I’m having trouble diagnosing the issue. Whenever I power on the device, the screen stays completely pitch black and won’t display anything. After restarting the system several times over and over again, I can get the screen to light up with the hp logo, but the screen freezes and I cannot progress. If I spam the esc key while restarting, it loads me into the startup menu where I have access to the bios settings; however, whenever I click “system recovery” or continue with regular startup, the device restarts and freezes again on the hp logo. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue? The laptop is fairly new but it’s had issues in the past where it couldn’t run the newest version of Windows 10 without freezing, so instead-as if currently, it is running Windows 10, 1511 (I believe). If anyone could give any insight, I’d VERY much appreciate it. I’ve spend countless hours with this device and it’s hard not to feel hopeless.
    Thanks

:)

Xjoejoex, Jun 29, 2018
  2. Darshan J Win User

HP Laptop occasional Black Screen

Hello Tom,

Just need couple of information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your Laptop?
    • When you face black screen issue do you see any error message/code?
    • Do you see multiple Display drivers in Device manager?

Ideally there should be only one display drivers listed in device manager, If two drivers are seen possibly you could have installed two drivers or automatic updates should have installed the display drivers.

Sometimes Drivers are updated, however they may not be able get synched to the server to download the drivers. If you are not sure if the drivers are up to date you can go to manufacturer website and check for the release date and version.

When you update the troubleshooter it checks for the version and if any latest version it will update the drivers.

If you are unsure genuine drivers are installed on your Laptop, You can uninstall the drivers and download the drivers from manufacturer website and install them on your computer.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Refer the below steps to uninstall the drivers.

Uninstall the display drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager
    • Search for Display Adapter and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter
      and select Uninstall.
    • Follow the onscreen steps.

Reinstall the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Go to the manufacturer’s website and then download the latest network driver. Once you have successfully downloaded the driver you can install the driver.

Drivers and updates for HP Laptop.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Get back to us if you need further information on your query we will be happy to help you.

Darshan J, Jun 29, 2018
  3. Tom T in NC Win User

Hi...

Relating to "Black Screen Upon Startup"
    If I do not use an external monitor should I have only one (1) Display Adapter listed in my Device Driver Manager? From what I see on previous posts it is possible that my HP laptop has a problem deciding what display adapter to use. It should be noted
    that I do not get the Black Screen all the time. It only seems like I get the black screen when I really need to quickly use my pc Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally :(

1) What can I do to ensure I am using the right or un corrupted HP Laptop driver? I right clicked and the system said both drivers are up to date.

2) Do I need to delete and reinstall the driver for my laptop

3) When you right click to "Update Driver Software" is the update routine just checking the date or version of the driver? << or >> is it also checking to see if the driver is intact and does not contain any corruption?

Thank you and Good Day........Tom T

Tom T in NC, Jun 29, 2018
  4. Tom T in NC Win User

Wow... Thanks When i started my HP laptop this morning i had the same issue and did a restart to clear..... Now thanks to your suggestion i set my power preference to sleep when power button is pressed..... Will let you all know how this works but thanks
    again at least there is hope!

TT

Tom T in NC, Jun 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally - Similar Threads - laptop screen won’t

2. Viewing laptop screen on tv wirelessly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Viewing laptop screen on tv wirelessly: I have wireless connect for my laptop. Running Windows 10 and 365. no problem seeing utube on tv from laptop. My desktop is connected to tv. How can I stream on laptop and be able to have it show on my Samsung tv....tried asking tech support for HP(my laptop) no help.......
  3. Laptop booting into black screen no cursor and cant use usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop booting into black screen no cursor and cant use usb: Hi. My laptop with windows 10 on it bsod once and then it didnt restart just shutdown. I didnt know it was a big problem then but when i tried to boot it up, black screen no cursor I have tried using usb but no luck because BIOS has only 1 priority and thats Windows boot...
  4. Laptop black (grey) screen no beep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop black (grey) screen no beep: So when I tried week ago to turn on my laptop in the morning, at first it show black screen (without beep. LED's are on). Only when I restarted laptop it finally turned on. It was the second day something like this happened. My laptop has been working great since this time,...
  5. how to lower brightness for laptop screen

how to lower brightness for laptop screen: how to lower brightness for laptop screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/how-to-lower-brightness-for-laptop-screen/567d1b03-9098-4469-96c2-662464223a1d
  6. Computer freezes then a blue screen shows up and then restarts my laptop while playing games

Computer freezes then a blue screen shows up and then restarts my laptop while playing games: One night i was playing dota 2 and then in the middle of a match my laptop suddenly froze and then the blue screen appeared the error code said :irql_not_less_or_equal so after that i thought it just crash or something, then when my computer restarted i got back into dota and...
  7. My laptop screen keeps timing out and requires I use either a password or pin.

My laptop screen keeps timing out and requires I use either a password or pin.: My laptop screen keeps timing out going back to the opening screen picture. It also now requires I use either a password or pin. This just happened since the last update a few days ago. How do I change these problems? Resetting it does not work....
  8. Aptio Setup Utility Screen Appears Everytime I Restart the Laptop

Aptio Setup Utility Screen Appears Everytime I Restart the Laptop: Hi, one day, I was restarting my razor stealth laptop and suddenly the aptio setup utility screen appears. I pressed save and exit thing, and it booted up normally. However, starting then and on, every single time I restart or shutdown then power up the laptop, this...
  9. Black screen - laptop window 10

Black screen - laptop window 10: Hi, on my laptop, using window 10. The computer when I try to open it shows only a black screen... how can I fix the problem? Tx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/black-screen-laptop-window-10/f9a197ba-3982-4ee3-81ac-25f606d82b68
  10. I can't get past the lock screen on my Dell Laptop running OS 10

I can't get past the lock screen on my Dell Laptop running OS 10: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron Gaming laptop a few months ago. Was very busy in the last 6 weeks and did not get on it. Pulled it out today and went to type in my password and it did not recognize it. I tried a few more times and then tried to reset the password. It asked...