Windows 10: Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

Discus and support Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, this issue has started fairly recently and I’m having trouble diagnosing the issue. Whenever I power on the device, the screen stays completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Xjoejoex, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Xjoejoex Win User

Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally

Hello, this issue has started fairly recently and I’m having trouble diagnosing the issue. Whenever I power on the device, the screen stays completely pitch black and won’t display anything. After restarting the system several times over and over again, I can get the screen to light up with the hp logo, but the screen freezes and I cannot progress. If I spam the esc key while restarting, it loads me into the startup menu where I have access to the bios settings; however, whenever I click “system recovery” or continue with regular startup, the device restarts and freezes again on the hp logo. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue? The laptop is fairly new but it’s had issues in the past where it couldn’t run the newest version of Windows 10 without freezing, so instead-as if currently, it is running Windows 10, 1511 (I believe). If anyone could give any insight, I’d VERY much appreciate it. I’ve spend countless hours with this device and it’s hard not to feel hopeless.
    Thanks

:)

Xjoejoex, Jun 29, 2018
  2. Darshan J Win User

HP Laptop occasional Black Screen

Hello Tom,

Just need couple of information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your Laptop?
    • When you face black screen issue do you see any error message/code?
    • Do you see multiple Display drivers in Device manager?

Ideally there should be only one display drivers listed in device manager, If two drivers are seen possibly you could have installed two drivers or automatic updates should have installed the display drivers.

Sometimes Drivers are updated, however they may not be able get synched to the server to download the drivers. If you are not sure if the drivers are up to date you can go to manufacturer website and check for the release date and version.

When you update the troubleshooter it checks for the version and if any latest version it will update the drivers.

If you are unsure genuine drivers are installed on your Laptop, You can uninstall the drivers and download the drivers from manufacturer website and install them on your computer.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Refer the below steps to uninstall the drivers.

Uninstall the display drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager
    • Search for Display Adapter and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter
      and select Uninstall.
    • Follow the onscreen steps.

Reinstall the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Go to the manufacturer’s website and then download the latest network driver. Once you have successfully downloaded the driver you can install the driver.

Drivers and updates for HP Laptop.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Get back to us if you need further information on your query we will be happy to help you.

Darshan J, Jun 29, 2018
  3. Tom T in NC Win User

Hi...

Relating to "Black Screen Upon Startup"
    If I do not use an external monitor should I have only one (1) Display Adapter listed in my Device Driver Manager? From what I see on previous posts it is possible that my HP laptop has a problem deciding what display adapter to use. It should be noted
    that I do not get the Black Screen all the time. It only seems like I get the black screen when I really need to quickly use my pc Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally :(

1) What can I do to ensure I am using the right or un corrupted HP Laptop driver? I right clicked and the system said both drivers are up to date.

2) Do I need to delete and reinstall the driver for my laptop

3) When you right click to "Update Driver Software" is the update routine just checking the date or version of the driver? << or >> is it also checking to see if the driver is intact and does not contain any corruption?

Thank you and Good Day........Tom T

Tom T in NC, Jun 29, 2018
  4. Tom T in NC Win User

Wow... Thanks When i started my HP laptop this morning i had the same issue and did a restart to clear..... Now thanks to your suggestion i set my power preference to sleep when power button is pressed..... Will let you all know how this works but thanks
    again at least there is hope!

TT

Tom T in NC, Jun 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Hp laptop screen won’t display except occasionally - Similar Threads - laptop screen won’t

2. My Laptop won’t start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Laptop won’t start: I have an ASUS Laptop:[ATTACH] In the past days I’ve been trying to start my computer because, for some reason, it won’t start. I have tried the mayority of the option that the menu shows. I have not yet tried an external solution. Still, no solution.[IMG] The last thing I...
  3. My laptop won’t start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop won’t start up: I updated my laptop on Thursday. When i went to start it up on Friday the screen remained black. But the power light is on? I tried charging it for a few hours, but it still wont turn on. Theres no way for me to take out the battery, and the cord is working fine. Any...
  4. Windows 10 Laptop won’t display WiFi networks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Laptop won’t display WiFi networks: My Aspire V Nitro won’t display Wifi Networks. Despite temporarily disabling all networking devices in device manager, reseting the PC twice, and changing the network properties, nothing has happened to change the situation. I’ve tried to look through other Microsoft Support...
  5. Screen won’t turn on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen won’t turn on: I have a Windows 10 Dell Laptop. My screen is black and won’t trun on. When I hold down the power button the light flashes 2 Orange than 5 white. Also, I read somewhere to hold down the “D” key on the keyboard and the power button. This turned on my screen and made it flash...
  6. HP Laptop flashing screen

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop flashing screen: Good day to all. I have a HP laptop running the uptown date windows 10. Nine times out of ten then I connect an external drive to the USB port I get a browny colour flash on the screen and also when removing. Have checked all the latest HP updates from the HP website but no...
  7. HP Laptop Black Screen on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Black Screen on boot: I have a HP Pavilion 17-e019dx laptop running Windows 10 64 bit.... that all of a sudden will not boot. On start up, it just displays a black screen. There are no beeps or words, nor can I hit F8 or ESC or any other keys to get into the bios/utilities/safe mode. I have...
  8. Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Not Working on Laptop--Except for Password on Lock Screen: I really hope somebody can help me with this! The strangest thing just happened. I carried my open laptop to a different room, and then when I tried to type, nothing would show up and my laptop began making strange clicking sounds. I rebooted the laptop to see if this...
  9. HP Laptop Screen Resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HP Laptop Screen Resolution Issues: I have been putting off updating to Windows 10 on a Hewlitt Packard G60 laptop, however, today, the computer did upgrade. It seems as if the Windows 10 installation worked, with the exception of two issues. 1. The screen resolution has been changed to 1024x728, and...
  10. hp laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    hp laptop: My HP laptop will randomly go to the lock screen why is this happening 65921