Windows 10: HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping

Discus and support HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Morning everyone! I'm writing with a question about my mom's laptop which is running Windows 10. Up until yesterday morning, it would go to sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dev Anthony, Oct 24, 2017.

1. HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping

Morning everyone!

I'm writing with a question about my mom's laptop which is running Windows 10. Up until yesterday morning, it would go to sleep after 20 minutes and wake back up with the move of the mouse or a keypress. Now, when it goes to sleep, it completely powers down and has to be booted up again to resume use. Her laptop is connected to an outlet more often than not, so it wouldn't be a power-saver thing. We've been through all the options and searched a number of forums without finding a similar issue solved elsewhere.

Any thoughts you can offer on how to get it back to waking up on moving the mouse would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Dev

:)

Dev Anthony, Oct 24, 2017
  2. dmor5508 Win User

Windows 10 Shut down does not turn off my HP laptop

I have a HP Pavillion laptop with Win 10. When I Shut down from the Windows button the laptop partially shuts down, but not complete. ie seems to go into a sleep or similar but doesnt awake. I have to manually hold the On/Off switch until the light goes
    off.

dmor5508, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Shutdown (Power-off) Issue

I have an HP pavilion 17 notebook with the same problem.
    The power to the laptop does not shut down when I shut down Windows, Windows 10 shuts down leaving a black screen but I have to manually turn off the power.

I did HP driver updates and Intel driver update. I have no problem with updates from HP or Microsoft.

I also changed the settings to "never" on both sleep and screen (click on settings, click on system, click on power/sleep, scroll to "never" on both) since Windows was shutting down but leaving the power on. I also turned off the "fast startup" At least
    for now, when I shut Windows down at night I can manually turn off the laptop a few seconds later. This laptop is almost always plugged in so I don't worry about the battery.

This is like my husband turning off the TV but leaving the lights on!---- not a good thing.

Susan Parker99, Oct 24, 2017
  4. HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping

HI Dev.

First what version and build is she using?

Windows key + R, type Winver, enter.

What is the make and model of laptop?

Have a look in Windows Update history. What was delivered in last few days?

You could try disabling hibernation. To a command prompt (admin) or powershell (Admin)

powercfg -h off

Once you tested if you want to turn it on same command but replace off with on in command. If you shut off hibernation you disable Windows Fast Start Up, FYI.

I would also check the battery setting in the advance Power mgmt setting. One in particular, critical battery event, it can be set to shut down, change to "Do Nothing" when plugged in since that is how mom runs her device.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  5. It's good to know you have done all of that but it's very possible we'll be asking questions or submitting possible solutions that have already been tried so please bear with us.

On the 20 minutes, I suppose that applies to whether or not the computer is plugged in or on battery. That indicates to me that the power settings are not set to default settings. Even though the computer has been operating to the way it's been set up for some time period I'd consider returning the power options to default settings for the time being.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping

1. HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping - Similar Threads - Laptop Shuts Off

2. Pc shuts off when i put it to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc shuts off when i put it to sleep: This problem recently started where when I click to sleep on my pc, all the lights will stay on and the fans will run for a few minutes before they stop, and then when I turn it back on, it’s restarts, meaning my pc shut down instead of sleeping. I sometimes get a blue screen...
  3. Pc shuts off when i put it to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc shuts off when i put it to sleep: This problem recently started where when I click to sleep on my pc, all the lights will stay on and the fans will run for a few minutes before they stop, and then when I turn it back on, it’s restarts, meaning my pc shut down instead of sleeping. I sometimes get a blue screen...
  4. Pc shuts off when i put it to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pc shuts off when I hit to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc shuts off when I hit to sleep: This problem recently started where when I click to sleep on my pc, all the lights will stay on and the fans will run for a few minutes before they stop, and then when I turn it back on, it’s restarts, meaning my pc shut down instead of sleeping. I sometimes get a blue screen...
  6. Pc shuts off when I hit to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc shuts off when I hit to sleep: This problem recently started where when I click to sleep on my pc, all the lights will stay on and the fans will run for a few minutes before they stop, and then when I turn it back on, it’s restarts, meaning my pc shut down instead of sleeping. I sometimes get a blue screen...
  7. Pc shuts off when I hit to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Hp laptop wifi shuts off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hp laptop wifi shuts off: Hello. I'm looking at an hp laptop for a friend, and their WiFi 5 keeps shutting off. I can't figure out what's wrong with it, but this thing does have a copy of win 10 that isn't activated. Will this cause the WiFi to dump? submitted by /u/Callamy [link] [comments]...
  9. Laptop shuts off after waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop shuts off after waking from Sleep: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ipenama [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gn5aas/laptop_shuts_off_after_waking_from_sleep/
  10. HP laptop shuts off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP laptop shuts off: I have to keep rebooting it. what can cause this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-laptop-shuts-off/8aefd8ce-a25e-46c0-a20a-9a0b03959bcd

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp laptop shuts off after sleep