Windows 10: HP Omen Windows 10 Laptop Wifi Public/Private Network issue

Discus and support HP Omen Windows 10 Laptop Wifi Public/Private Network issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All No matter what I do, it just won't stay on Private network, removing forgetting the wifi network and restarting doesn't help, troubleshooter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AMDMan2016, Aug 2, 2018.

1. HP Omen Windows 10 Laptop Wifi Public/Private Network issue

Hello All

No matter what I do, it just won't stay on Private network, removing forgetting the wifi network and restarting doesn't help, troubleshooter doesn't help, is it time for another darn system fresh start refresh? Previously was running Avast Free on the system, switched to using Defender possibly a month ago.

Macrium backup wouldn't restore from my old usb drive, did a new backup on newer usb drive, but half the time i have issues restoring them properly, same on desktop, where it restored fine last time i tried it, but wouldn't go back to using my Pro digital license on that system, don't know if i'm doing something wrong

Should i use Fresh start refresh or attempt very first laptop full clean install of 1803?

Thanks all for help in advance

:)

AMDMan2016, Aug 2, 2018
  2. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Aug 2, 2018
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 2, 2018
  4. Vollie(2) Win User

HP Omen Windows 10 Laptop Wifi Public/Private Network issue

Windows 10 change wireless network from public to private

The easiest way I found to change the "public" designation to "private" for your home wifi is as follows:

• Click on the wifi icon in your task bar (far lower right). This brings up the list of available wifi networks. You will also see "Network settings" at the bottom of the list.
    • Click on "Network settings" to get "Settings - Network and Internet". "WiFi" should be highlighted (selected) on the left and a list of names of wifi networks within range appear on the right. Just below the list of available networks is
      the selection "Advanced Options".
    • Click on "Advanced Options". The first option is "Make this PC discoverable".
    • Turn the "Make this PC discoverable" switch on. This will make this particular network "Private".
    • Go back to your control panel and select "Network and Sharing Center". Your network should now show up as "Private".
    When you connect to a new network it will default to "public" unless you've done this procedure for that network. In other words, Win10 remembers this "Advanced Option" for each network so you don't have to be turning this switch on and off as you go from
    home to airport.

If you use Comcast as your ISP you probably have 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz and "Xfinity" networks on your wifi router. You should change both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks to "private" but leave the "Xfinity" network "public" because anyone passing by can connect to this
    one and you don't want to connect to other Xfinity hotspots in "private" mode.

This works as of June 6, 2016 for Windows Pro, ver 1511, build 10586.318 and I'm guessing it works for all Windows 10 as of now.

Vollie(2), Aug 2, 2018
Thema:

HP Omen Windows 10 Laptop Wifi Public/Private Network issue

1. HP Omen Windows 10 Laptop Wifi Public/Private Network issue - Similar Threads - Omen Laptop Wifi

2. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  3. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  4. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  5. Windows 10 treats the private network as a public network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 treats the private network as a public network.: Windows blocks all connections on the same subnet. Windows will connect to any computer/server on the other side of the default route/router. This isolated tunneling through the resident subnet would be something I would expect from a public WiFi connection. The windows...
  6. Public and private WiFi settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Public and private WiFi settings: It's completely disappeared from the WiFi options in the settings menu. Does anybody know where it's moved to? Every time I update Windows it causes havoc with my WiFi by setting every network to public and I've searched everywhere. submitted by /u/PerryDigital [link]...
  7. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  8. Wifi Issues HP Omen 15_ce019dx

Wifi Issues HP Omen 15_ce019dx: Wifi issues all the time with laptop machine, why not sure exactly, phone has great signal, so does our smart tv, and all in same room Antivirus installed on Laptop: Avast Free 19.2.2364 (latest version) All HP Updates, and Windows Updates installed Sometimes connects and...
  9. HP Omen 15_ce019dx issue with Wifi Private/Public Network

HP Omen 15_ce019dx issue with Wifi Private/Public Network: Hello There Using Avast Free Antivirus 18.6.2349 on this PC for now til Fall Update 1809 i think, anyways sometimes when i boot up it doesn't even seem to connect to home lan right, says unidentified network, and Public with Internet Access, resetting the wifi adapter...
  10. windows 10 can't change wifi network from public to private

windows 10 can't change wifi network from public to private: My wifi network is public and i cant seem to get to the options to make it private. When I go to network/internet wifi i don't get the option to manage known networks. I can get to manage known networks another way but on the wifi network i want to change from public to...