Windows 10: HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8

Discus and support HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks I've just upgraded one of my 2 aging HP Gen 8 Microservers with the Gen 10 model -- I love the small cube micro size of these servers.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Dec 1, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8

Hi folks

I've just upgraded one of my 2 aging HP Gen 8 Microservers with the Gen 10 model -- I love the small cube micro size of these servers.

The new Gen 10 has a significantly more powerful processor, more RAM can be allocated up to 32 GB (the Gen 8 had a Max of 16GB) and you can boot directly from an SSD. As before there are 4 built in HDD bays but you can connect an SSD to a 6th (hidden but available !!) SATA connector and use that as an extra SSD drive.
    5th SATA connection also available either for a DVD (has to be slimline) or fit an SSD etc and is bootable unlike the GEN8 server .

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 | IT PRO

The only negative thing about this server for some people might be that there's no ILO on it unlike the GEN 8 but for most Home users this isn't a problem.

Unlike the Gen 8 this server has built in graphics (up to 4K UHD supported) with provision for TWO monitors (you need Display port-->HDMI adapters if using HDMI screens ) and the much more powerful processor (up to 8 cores) means you can run a slew more VM's on it etc.

This machine can also function as a desktop as well as a server -- being able to boot also directly from the 5th SATA port in AHCI mode (I don't bother with the built in RAID) means you can easily run Windows OS'es -- on the Gen 8 unless you used the hideous onboard RAID the 5th port wasn't directly bootable -- but you could boot from an internal micro sd card so running Linux was fine -- install the Linux bootloader via GRUB2 to the Micro SD card on /boot and the rest of the OS on the SSD.

If I like this machine I'll replace my other Gen 8 server with a GEN 10 one. Love the small footprint, quiet running and flawless 24/7 reliability I've had with these machines.

Anybody looking for a decent Home server that can also work as a desktop ought to look at these machines --excellent value for money, robust and built by a solidly decent company (HP).

First type of server I've seen that can also work as a decent desktop workstation too !!! owing to the high quality graphics on board -- I know a lot of traditional servers don't need this feature but if you are using a Home lab / have a small workplace etc this is not a bad feature to have on board.

Here's a review that's worth reading and how to access the 6th SATA Port.

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA - Microserver Gen 10 - RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 1, 2017
  2. jmbvink Win User

Windows 10 - Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet no longer working

It is a BIOS problem, update link:

BIOS for HP ProLiant MicroServer G7 N54L - msdonkey

I do it on my proliant microserver and problem resolved

jmbvink, Dec 1, 2017
  3. W.Findlay Win User
    Windows 10 - Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet no longer working

I tried to Update my HP ProLiant MicroServer from windows pro 7 to windows 10.

Following the update there was no internet connection through the Network Adapter.

The message was A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken. There was however no problem with the cable and it was plugged in.

Reverted to Windows 7 and all worked fine again

The network adapter is a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet.

Section Name BCM5764MX_LHinst.NTx86.6.1

Hardware ID pci\ven_14e4&dev_165b

So you have a patch to fix this problem

W.Findlay, Dec 1, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Nice job on the review, Jimbo. Thanks for sharing. Reminds me of the older MediaSmart Server boxes that HP had out for a while, which I also really liked as well. Wrote about them for TomsHardware back in 2009.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 1, 2017
Thema:

1. HP proliant Gen 10 Microserver replacing my Gen 8 - Similar Threads - proliant Gen Microserver

2. Script:SNH-gen [PUP]

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Script:SNH-gen [PUP]: So guys, for activation of Windows 7 and Office 2013, I used a CMD file to activate my products without any error. True, I did not have any error. But I knew I had to disable my antivirus software. So I disabled it, ran the CMD file and restarted my PC. Then, for the sake of...
  3. 7th Gen CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    7th Gen CPU: I am running 7th gen , and in this link they said that it is supported why does the tool says mine is not suppoted?https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11/e40cbf90-289f-4384-9ebf-c6f272d5b0c5...
  4. rogue.agent/gen-nullo

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    rogue.agent/gen-nullo: is the "rogue.agent/gen-nullo" a bad thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/rogueagentgen-nullo/3a550d69-98dd-4265-b6e3-d73c522bb068
  5. HP pavilion with 11th Gen i7 BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP pavilion with 11th Gen i7 BSOD: Hello I Just bought a new laptop HP Pavilion 15-dw3008ne with intel core i7 1165G7 CPU and Nvidia mx450 GPU. The problem is that I have Blue Screen Of Death with the error DPC_Watchdog_Violation. I tried to update all the drivers from HP support website, Nvidia website...
  6. Intel Nuc I3 gen 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Intel Nuc I3 gen 8: I just bought an intel Nuc i3 gen 8 for my parents. It is stuck on the undoing changes screen black screen. How does one fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-nuc-i3-gen-8/0ac90207-6dcb-47a2-8399-edf652e7d40c
  7. Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Differences in Gen 2 and Gen 3: I got to thinking since my motherboard has two graphics card (16x) slots, but one is a Gen 2 and the other is a Gen 3, why can't I put my M2 SSD in the Gen 3 and my graphics card in the Gen 2. Wow what a differences in speed. Boot time is nothing now, downloads are simple a...
  8. HP Prolient microserver N54 -

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HP Prolient microserver N54 -: Previously working with windows 10 AHCI in a mirrored raid, but lost the boot sector in a power spike. All reinstalled and able to run Win 10, but network status is "Not Connected". The network adaptor list is empty. Any ideas?...
  9. HPE GEN 10 proliant Microserver enable Audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HPE GEN 10 proliant Microserver enable Audio: Hi folks people using this server and want up to date audio and graphics (enable audio in BIOS first in setup) can get W10 drivers from http://www.hpe.com/downloads/microservergen10 This Microserver unlike the gen 8 uses an AMD CPU with actually a very decent graphics...
  10. HP Gen 8 proliant Micro server - Base System device driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Gen 8 proliant Micro server - Base System device driver: Hi there For those running Windows (retail ) or a Windows server version on one of these excellent little Cube boxes you can ignore the base system device driver when you look at the system devices list -- doesn't effect the working at all. I know some people use these...