Windows 10: HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery

Discus and support HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought a new/refurbished windows 8.1 hp laptop. Switched it on and it offered a free upgrade to windows 10 which I accepted. now it's coming up with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by princessmombi, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery

I bought a new/refurbished windows 8.1 hp laptop. Switched it on and it offered a free upgrade to windows 10 which I accepted. now it's coming up with this message:"low disk space You are running very low on disk space on RECOVERY (D*Smile" I have not downloaded anything but windows 10. I have used 55/910gb of C, and 20/20gb of D. ? I don't know if it was like this before the upgrade, or as a result of it. There were no restore points before the upgrade and it won't let me create any new ones as there's not enough space. I haven't made recovery discs yet as I can only do it once and not sure whether to do it now or when it's fixed. Does anyone know why this has happened and how to fix it please?

:)

princessmombi, Sep 9, 2015

2. HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery (D). Help please?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have uninstalled Windows 10 and am now using 8.1, but the problem is still the same. There is nothing for me to remove as I hadn't installed anything onto the computer. I had just got it new, so there shouldn't have been anything
    on there but the factory install and Windows 10 that I had downloaded. I'm not sure what to do from here.

Princess Mombi, Sep 9, 2015
  3. HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery (D). Help please?

I bought a new/refurbished windows 8.1 hp laptop. Switched it on and it offered a free upgrade to windows 10 which I accepted. now it's coming up with this message:"low disk space You are running very low on disk space on RECOVERY (DHP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery :)" I have not downloaded
    anything but windows 10. I have used 55/910gb of C, and 20/20gb of D. ? I don't know if it was like this before the upgrade, or as a result of it. There were no restore points before the upgrade and it won't let me create any new ones as there's not enough
    space. I haven't made recovery discs yet as I can only do it once and not sure whether to do it now or when it's fixed. Does anyone know why this has happened and how to fix it please?

Princess Mombi, Sep 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery

It's probably too late to do factory recovery discs now, should have done that before the upgrade to Windows 10.

Install MiniTool Partition Wizard, shrink the C: drive partition by about 40 gb and add it to the recovery partition:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

When you shrink the C: drive partition, make sure the empty space is next to the recovery partition. I'm guessing you will add the empty space at the end of C: drive and beginning of the recovery partition.

NavyLCDR, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Thank you, I will try that. *Smile

princessmombi, Sep 9, 2015
  6. It happens because they fill the recovery partition on purpose, and Windows is just giving you a normal warning. You can either remove the drive letter from partition, or make your recovery media and do away with the partition. I don't know the process off the top of my head, but I believe you can turn off the warning message, too.

DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Question is why are the desired restore points being saved to it? I haven't done restore points yet in Windows 10, but I'm used to seeing them just going to the normal system partition.

NavyLCDR, Sep 9, 2015
  8. HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery

I assumed the partition was unused by Windows, unless the user started a recovery using the OEM process. I disable system restore on all of my personal systems (but please don't take this as me suggesting anyone else do so).

DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015
  9. DavidY Win User
    When OEMs create a recovery partition, you'd expect them to have very little spare disk space as they are a constant size.

I wonder if the reason you don't get this message all the time is because the partition is nomally hidden, and the issue here is that it's become un-hidden, not because the disk usage has changed.

Princessmombi, could you post a screenshot of the Disk Management layout?
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

DavidY, Sep 9, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    caperjack, Sep 9, 2015
  11. Thanks for your replies. I have uninstalled Windows 10 and am now back to 8.1, but the problem is still there.

princessmombi, Sep 13, 2015
  12. Youm must check how much junk you have in "C:\ProgramData" Mine had over 100Gb in it. Delete the folders of uninstalled programs.Unistall the installed program, delete their folder, reinstall the program again (only the programs with huge data bloat). HTH

Fredledingue, Sep 14, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

Go to System Restore settings and turn it off for D:. It should never have restore points written to it.

Ztruker, Sep 14, 2015
  14. How will freeing up space in C help the recovery storage in D?
    I don't mind that D is full if it's meant to be for the factory restore, but it keeps popping up with messages to tell me it's full, and there is no room to create any restore points.
    It's not a Windows 10 problem as I've restored to factory settings (and 8.1) and it's still there.
    I have made recovery discs now.
    So are my only choices to switch off the error message (still leaving me no space for restore points)?, to remove the drive/recovery files completely?, to remove the partition and have one big drive?, or to add space from C onto D? Which is easiest and safest please?

princessmombi, Sep 15, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest, and safe way is to install MiniTool Partition Wizard free:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Since you have a big 1TB hard drive, Using partition wizard, I would shrink the C: drive partition by 80gb creating the free space at the end. Then add the 80gb to the D: drive partition making it 100gb in size.

NavyLCDR, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. HP refurb laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10. Run out of space on Recovery - Similar Threads - refurb laptop Upgraded

2. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  3. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  4. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recovery D Local Space running out of room

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery D Local Space running out of room: My laptop is 8 years old.My laptop is running Windows 8.Current Specs:Local Disk C: 579GB Free of 672GBRecovery D: 2.92GB Free of 24.4GBProcessor: AMD A8-4500M APUGraphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7600M SeriesMemory RAM: 8GBI can no longer upgrade the hardware on laptop due to its...
  6. Recovery D Local Space running out of room

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery D Local Space running out of room: My laptop is 8 years old.My laptop is running Windows 8.Current Specs:Local Disk C: 579GB Free of 672GBRecovery D: 2.92GB Free of 24.4GBProcessor: AMD A8-4500M APUGraphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7600M SeriesMemory RAM: 8GBI can no longer upgrade the hardware on laptop due to its...
  7. Refurb Dell Optiplex 5040 won't run Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Refurb Dell Optiplex 5040 won't run Windows 10.: Hi all! I recently acquired a refurbed Dell Optiplex 5040 and have run in to odd issues. Being a refurb, I suspected it probably had a custom media installation-type deal of a Windows 10 install.. and it did. Even came with VLC Media player! I ignored all this and let...
  8. Running out of space on HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running out of space on HDD: I'm not even sure I'm in the right sub, but help me if you can. I neglected my PC organization through college and now I'm running out of space. I've been erasing tons of old files and etc but I noticed that my space somehow gets smaller little by little from time to time. I...
  9. Low Disc Space You are running out of disc space on recovery image (D:).

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Low Disc Space You are running out of disc space on recovery image (D:).: I have saved my data on a cloud and reset my computer. Nothing will reset the error. I have tried running troubleshooter app and going to the app store and running trouble shooter as well....
  10. hp laptop running so hot after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    hp laptop running so hot after windows 10 upgrade: An ideas on this issue, it is so hot to touch I now have to run cooling pad under the laptop, the fans just dont stop spinning it is so noisy now 24177