Windows 10: Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming

Discus and support Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys! I really need your help on this one. Usually I’m good at troubleshooting and finding solutions without having to start my own threads. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rbamm, Dec 14, 2016.

1. rbamm Win User

Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming

Hi guys!

I really need your help on this one. Usually I’m good at troubleshooting and finding solutions without having to start my own threads. This time however, it seems impossible to find a solution. Anyway, here’s the thing:
    When downloading through utorrent, steam etc and listening to music/watching videos I get huge DPC latency spikes when touching the trackpad. The spikes result in robotic sound, computer hiccups and freezes (minor 1 sec freezes, every 3-5 seconds) But here’s the weird thing. I don’t get the spikes if I’m not touching the trackpad or IF I have a usb mouse connected to my laptop. For some reason, having a usb mouse connected solves the latency problem instantly. Then I can download, listen to audio and watch videos without any problems even though moving the mouse like crazy. So strange.

I have a Lenovo 710 14’ laptop with windows 10. Bought it a week ago. Kaby lake.

I7-7500u
    Nvidia 940mx
    8 gb ram
    256 gb ssd

I have tried a bunch of potential solutions. Creating a bigger pagefile, updating all drivers to newest and also degrading to Lenovo’s website drivers (older). I’ve disabled bits and windows update. I’ve change the power scheme, so that the processor minimum is 100%. And a lot of other things. I can’t even think about everything I’ve tried.

I’ve used latency mon to investigate the latency spikes. Latency mon says that the culprit is WDF01000.sys. I’ve read that it’s difficult to say which driver uses that file etc. While using latency checker I tried disabling the realtek audio adapter. That made the spikes go away. I’m playing music through spotify, which can be quite bandwidth heavy.
    It’s like my computer is really sensitive to heavy internet activity, combined with audio/video streaming.

The task manager doesn’t show anything special when the spikes occur. The system interrupt process take up a bit more cpu and memory, but that’s basically it. Otherwise, the computer works fine. It’s just in the specific situation where I download, stream something and don’t have a mouse connected that this happens.

Any ideas would me MUCH appreciated!

:)

rbamm, Dec 14, 2016
  2. RyanNuske Win User

Audio and Cursor lag - After recent Windows 10 update

Ok, I have tried this and rolled back to a previous version and still have the same problem.

The Audio Crackle / Buzz, goes away when the computer is not plugged into the power charger.

I have also downloaded and used a Latency Checker (DPC Latency Checker) and it spikes quite alot. It noticeably improves and stops spiking when I disable the "Microsoft AC Adapter" in the Device Manager.

The audio buzz also goes away if I Disable the "Microsoft ACPI - Compliant Control Method Battery" from the device manager

What would be causing this issue?

RyanNuske, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Badosoft Win User
    PC game is skippy/laggy in fullscreen

I suggest you to monitor your CPU for some time, not only when playing the game. If the CPU spikes often you might want to check the CPU temperature. Six out of ten times temperature problems cause lag issues not Windows itself.

I suggest:

1. Monitor your CPU over a period of few hours while playing or using resource intensive applications

2. Install
    openhardwaremonitor
    to get clues about temperature or voltage issues

3. Run virus scan with at least 2 independent scanners besides Windows Defender

4. Get rid of junk & temp files: download
    CCleaner

5. Get
    Latency Optimizer
    and record your game play with the Performance Recorder and check the log file for clues about CPU spikes

A.) If CPU temperature spikes high or stays high to bring your PC to service if your PC is still within the warenty.

B.) If your PC is out of warranty you can google for YouTube videos on how to refresh the cooling liquid on your CPU and how to use a vacuum cleaner to clean your CPU fan.

!Please before you do all that steps verify that your CPU spikes also in other situation or games!

Badosoft, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming

Welcome to the Ten Forums

While I don't have an answer have you tried Nirsoft Driver View available here DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

Its description column may give you that added piece of info to track origination.

Caledon Ken, Dec 14, 2016
Thema:

Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming

1. Huge latency spikes (freezes, hiccups) while downloading and streaming - Similar Threads - Huge latency spikes

2. What can cause download latency spikes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What can cause download latency spikes?: Just built a new computer - constantly spiking to higher download latency making it impossible to play multiplayer games.My previous computer does not have this issue at all.I already reset the network drivers and turned it onto a metered connection, but there is no...
  3. What can cause download latency spikes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What can cause download latency spikes?: Just built a new computer - constantly spiking to higher download latency making it impossible to play multiplayer games.My previous computer does not have this issue at all.I already reset the network drivers and turned it onto a metered connection, but there is no...
  4. What can cause download latency spikes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Latency Issues And Lag Spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latency Issues And Lag Spikes: Obviously im not that good at tech so ive asked this but i get around 165-180 fps so i dont know why when i play fortnite for example it keeps lagging my screen idk what the word is but i think its jittering but its really been annoying me because ive just upgraded my gpu to...
  6. High ping/latency spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High ping/latency spikes: So around a week ago my internet/wifi connection has gotten worse, I have already called my provider optimum in which they said that it is a either a router issue or an issue with my laptop they reset the modem on their end and I have reset the wifi and modem on my end which...
  7. Ping Spikes and Latency

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ping Spikes and Latency: I've been having a lot of ping spikes lately every 2 seconds it would spike when i would be playing a game and its getting really annoying to even do work with i go into a zoom call or google meet and it keeps freezing when the teacher is trying to explain important...
  8. Huge ntoskrnl DPC latency spikes on video playback [Windows 10 1909]

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Huge ntoskrnl DPC latency spikes on video playback [Windows 10 1909]: Hello, over the past 4 months I've been having issues with DPC latency spikes and interrupts to process latency. My PC specs are as follows: Asus X570 Tuf [latest BIOS] Ryzen 3700X 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix LT 3200mhz GTX 970 [Using Nvidia 425.31 driver as it seems the most...
  9. Huge ntoskrnl DPC latency spikes on video playback [Windows 10 1909]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Huge ntoskrnl DPC latency spikes on video playback [Windows 10 1909]: Hello, over the past 4 months I've been having issues with DPC latency spikes and interrupts to process latency. My PC specs are as follows: Asus X570 Tuf [latest BIOS] Ryzen 3700X 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix LT 3200mhz GTX 970 [Using Nvidia 425.31 driver as it seems the most...
  10. GIGABYTE GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Huge DPC Latency Spikes, Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GIGABYTE GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Huge DPC Latency Spikes, Help!: Hello, I recently upgraded my 5 year old PC and put together a new build utilizing the new 1151 chipset and following components: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Phanteks Enthoo Evolv...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i keep getting freezes while playing internet spikes