Windows 10: HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this

Discus and support HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there has anybody especially @Kari tried creating an ESXI VM on HYPER-V and then attaching VM's to the Esxi VM. I'd imagine if possible the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 18, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this

Hi there
    has anybody especially @Kari tried creating an ESXI VM on HYPER-V and then attaching VM's to the Esxi VM.

I'd imagine if possible the response time would be quite good as Esxi is such a TINY OS.

Running esxi as a VM would also get round some of its pickier bits on hardware selection too.

I've had success with W2K3 server as a VM serving a number of VM's using W7 enterprise as a Host (for the W2K3 VM) -- time though to get rid of this - and looking for an easy way to serve a load of VM's without having to re-create them all. The version of W2K3 server I was using allows 64 bit guests so W10 VM's were working fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Broken Start Menu

This piece of information in was in no way helpful. I've worked around large and small virtualization environments for years. I am more than experienced in Hyper V and VMWare Server/ESXI. How does your post even pertain to the issue I'm having.

theonearmedman8, Jun 18, 2016
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    CPU not supported for Windows 10?

Yes, you are right, I forgot they were also used in high-end workstations.

But the problem is that they are old.

I have a couple of these CPUs in an old server and I struggled for a week to find a suitable hyper-visor to use on it.

ESXi told me that the CPUs are unsupported and refused to install.

In the end I installed Windows 2012 Server Hyper-V and it seems to work ok.

My point is that being so old Microsoft seems to have dropped support for it, just like VMware did...

Andrei V., Jun 18, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Interesting idea. Decided to test, will report back with results.

HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this [​IMG]

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Thanks --love to see those

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 18, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    It does not work, I cannot get ESXi install to proceed from what's seen in screenshot in my previous post. It's been "Relocating modules and starting up the kernel" now for two hours.

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

@Kari

I'm having better luck running Esxi as a VM on VMWARE on W2K3 Host - have a spare machine to do this and a VL licence for W2K3 server - but the object of the exercise was to avoid the main HOST overhead. VM's connect also without problem but I/O goes BONKERS - even with an SSD. !!

I got a W7 and W10 VM to connect but even with SSD the HDD light stayed hard on -- running on a 64 GB Ram Hyperthreading CPU machine so no lack of hardware resources.

Watching the Footie now !!! France tonight - but Iceland doing great --pity last night Own goal against Hungary in last 5 mins !!! so 1-1 Grrrrrhh ! - but we still could qualify - last match against Austria next week. (One point on Wednesday will be enough !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 18, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

My understanding is that nested virtualization has only recently been added to Hyper-V, and I've only seen it in the context of running Hyper-V within Hyper-V. (ESX and to some extent VMWare Workstation have had a hidden way to gain partial nested virtualization for quite some time).

See Nested Virtualization

There's also a page here that has a lot of resources:

NESTED VIRTUALIZATION | virtuallyGhetto

The nesting is largely dependent upon the nested instance (in this case esxi) so there may be a special configuration you have to apply to make this work in Hyper-V.

Just found this:

Install a VMWare ESXi 6.0 Hypervisor in a Hyper-V VM | PowerShell, Programming and DevOps

Mystere, Jun 18, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks for the info -- I'll look at that esxi with your link

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HYPER-V and ESXI Kari - have you tried this - Similar Threads - HYPER ESXI Kari

2. How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine: [ATTACH]VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class, type-1 hypervisor developed by VMware for deploying and serving virtual computers by integrating vital OS components, such as a kernel; since as a type-1 hypervisor, ESXi is not a software application that can be installed on an OS....
  3. HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V pass thru question (probably for Kari): Hi there Question on HYPER-V -- I've a machine with 2 Display port outputs and a standard old fashioned RGB (video type monitor) output -- all 3 are selectable. The 2 Display port outputs are connected via an HDMI switchbox to one monitor with Displayport->HDMI connectors....
  4. HYPER-V question for probably Kari

HYPER-V question for probably Kari: Hi there quick question on HYPER-V probably for @Kari as he's the undisputed champion of HYPER-V around here !!! If I have a VM powered on under HYPER-V can I log off as the Windows user and still have people able to access the HYPER-V VM - assuming of course they have an...
  5. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  6. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  7. @Kari Hyper-V boot from USB / Micro SD card to load OS from SSD

@Kari Hyper-V boot from USB / Micro SD card to load OS from SSD: Hi there Specially question for Kari -- I've added an SSD to a Microserver (HP gen 8) to the ODD slot. The Bios of this server in AHCI mode only allows boot from USB/Micro SD card or HDD's in slot 1/2. I want all 4 HDD's as data disks so I was wondering if I could use GRUB...
  8. One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question

One for Kari - Secure boot with HYPER-V question: Hi there I see that although VMware and VBOX can't do it (they can use UEFI) it seems HYPER-V CAN create a level 2 (type 2) VM which can enable secure boot. I want to have a go with this on a W2012 Server HOST. Anything special needed for setting up the VM -- want to...
  9. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  10. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
Tags: