Windows 10: Hyper-V. Cannot delete "Default Switch" after Fall Creators Update.

Discus and support Hyper-V. Cannot delete "Default Switch" after Fall Creators Update. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, after update to Fall Creators Update i cannot delete vEthernet (Default Switch) in Hype-V. When deleted from connections in control pannel it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by 7fh3498f, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 7fh3498f Win User

Hyper-V. Cannot delete "Default Switch" after Fall Creators Update.

Hello,

after update to Fall Creators Update i cannot delete vEthernet (Default Switch) in Hype-V. When deleted from connections in control pannel it is created again after reboot. If disabled it stays after reboot but new connection with #2 is created. When clicking delete in Hyper-V Manager -> Virtual Switch Manager it does not do anything. Anybody has Hyper-V installed here and could confirm if the issue is the case also in his computer? If anyone found solution how to permanently delete that connection please share the knowledge.

My VMs are all offline and i dont need additional conenctions in my system. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

Regards.

:)

7fh3498f, Oct 20, 2017
  2. rac1234 Win User

Since Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) - Constant High CPU Usage from System, ICS, Firewall, CoreMessaging and Filter Motor

This also worked for me. I noticed that the Internet Connection Sharing service was stuck with the status "Starting...". I switched it to Manual and rebooted and the CPU usage is back to normal. Luckily I don't need ICS. Some people are saying the issue
    relates to Hyper-V but in my case Hyper-V cannot have been part of the problem since it was already disabled.

rac1234, Oct 20, 2017
  3. MIracast to television via Roku device. Image perfect, however the only sound produced is static.

I had a similar issue after 1709 which was related to having Hyper-V installed and the default switch. After 1709 Hyper-V installs a default switch, if the default switch is associated to your wireless nic i found that miracast stops working all together,
    regardless of device (roku, samsung tv, sony tv) Unfortunately the only way i have found to get this going is to uninstall Hyper-V. With sound if you load say a youtube video and start playing it, you can enable miracast after the video starts playing the
    sound works flawlessly, no volune at 5 with hiss in the background. They are the only workarounds that seem to work.

Damien Samios - SOLVit Network Support, Oct 20, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Previously you had to mess around using virtual switch manager to create a connection to network. Now you just select default switch if you like.

This option is essential for quick creating a new hyper-v session.

It is only used in existing sessions if you explicitly add it to a particular VM session.

Deleting it will not provide any additional security, or prevent other users creating a virtual switch.

Deleting things without understanding their functionality is surefire way to break things!

cereberus, Oct 20, 2017
  5. 7fh3498f Win User
    When default switch is deleted the VMs start alright so for me there is no need to keep that switch in the system as i want them all offiline. There is also remove button for the switch in Hyper-V Manager but it simply does not work. I don't think is crucial to keep default switch when you don't need any network access for your VMs.

If someone will find solution how to permanently delete default Hyper-V switch please share the knowledge. Thank you.

7fh3498f, Oct 20, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Default switch cannot be deleted. If its existence disturbs you, you might want to remove Hyper-V from your system and use another virtualisation program instead.

Quote from Hyper-V virtual machine gallery and networking improvements | Virtualization Blog:

7. cereberus Win User
    Out of interest, I changed my network switch to "default switch" in one of my VMs and connected using vmconnect from hyper-v, and it worked fine. Only odd thing was if you hovered mouse pointer over the network symbol in taskbar, the popup was blank.

Then I closed down vmconnect session leaving vm running, and tried to connect using an RDP session. I reverted VM to the switch I had originally setup, and rdp connected as usual.

This may be a consequence of it not being setup with default switch originally - I will have to test that.

cereberus, Oct 21, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Default switch is using NAT, making networking and remoting if not impossible but at least quite difficult. If you want to allow network access to other physical or virtual computers on your network, you should use a normal external switch created by yourself. Using default switch (NAT) is only recommended if the VM only needs Internet access but don't have to be accessible for computers on your local network or to access them.

9. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - was just curious really.

cereberus, Oct 21, 2017
  10. nj101 Win User
    The only way I could make my VMs accessible to other devices on my local network was to create a new additional external switch bound to a second network card. I unticked the option "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" so my desktop wouldn't try to use it itself. I was then able to connect to my VMs via http/https/ssh (or whatever) from any of the other PCs on my physical LAN.

Hope this helps.

nj101, Nov 28, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    This is not necessary, and is just over complicated.

You just set up C drive in VM as a private shared drive, with full permissions for "everyone", setting up password as required from network and sharing centre (I turn off password personally). You use an external switch, not "default switch". I use this to share drives with Host when using Home as a VM which does not support RDP as a server so cannot be used in enhanced mode.

This works fine for windows to windows share, but more effort is needed for android to windows shares.

cereberus, Nov 28, 2017
  12. Once the Hyper-V role is installed on the system, it takes your network card and assigns it to the virtual switch, then creates a virtual network adapter for the end-user.

It's quite an abysmal default setup, especially if you have only one network adapter, but from what I've read on the developer forums, they are looking to make it optional.

DrEmpiricism, Dec 3, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

Absolutely not true, completely wrong and invalid information.

Setting up Hyper-V does not touch / change any network settings. Creating an external network switch is totally optional. No virtual network adapters will be created when Hyper-V is enabled.

Please check your facts before posting.

14. nj101 Win User
    That's good to know. However, in my setup I'm using Hyper-V to run an F5 LTM/ASM which need to be able to create VIPs that are accessible on my LAN to other devices. My approach above is the only way I could do it. Prior to the creators update I didn't need to do this.

nj101, Dec 3, 2017
  15. Gerhard87 Win User
    A few posts earlier you posted, that with Hyper-V there comes a virtual default switch/ network adapter which cannot be deleted.
    How can you say now, that it's not.

Obviously it is created and it cannot be deleted, otherwise I would not be here.

I hope the post from "DrEmpiricism" reflects the future with:
    "...but from what I've read on the developer forums, they are looking to make it optional."

I can setup an internal NAT if I need one, but I don't need this default switch (and I want it removed).
    More network adapters mean e.g. more spam using ipconfig or another connection in the network sharing center with unidentified network connection...

Gerhard87, Dec 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Hyper-V. Cannot delete "Default Switch" after Fall Creators Update. - Similar Threads - Hyper Cannot delete

2. Hyper-V- Win 10 1809: Permanently Delete Default Switch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V- Win 10 1809: Permanently Delete Default Switch: Good day, In prior versions of Windows 10 I was fairly certain my deleting of Default Switch was permanent. When the Default switch is deleted it almost instantly is recreated. I cant for the life of me understand why this switch is mandatory. I have used Hyper-V...
  3. Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Creators Update and Hyper-V - Upgrade Configuration Version: Hello all, I have installed Creators Update and in Hyper-V Manager, when I click on "Upgrade Configuration Version" on any of my VMs, nothing happens. I am running Enterprise edition. And I think it is because of that I can't use new features of Hyper-V like windows...
  4. Hyper-V Default Switch Extension "Not operating correctly"

Hyper-V Default Switch Extension "Not operating correctly": Hello everyone. I just got force fed the 1709 Build 16299.64 update and I am having a problem with the new Default Switch that is a part of the Hyper-V. When I go to look at the settings I see an error about the Microsoft Azure VFP Switch Extension as it says down below "The...
  5. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  6. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  7. Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot use Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch: Hey, new here. I wasn't sure if this should go in Network and Sharing or Programs and Apps, so I apologize if this is in the wrong category. Anyways, while trying to set up a virtual switch I discover I need to install the 'Hyper-v Extensible Virtual Switch' network...
  8. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  9. fall creator update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete default switch hyper-v

2. hyper-v default switch 削除

3. problems deleting hyper-v switch

4. howto delete hyper-v default switch ,
  5. remove hyperv switch from dirvewrs ghost,
  6. reinstall hyperv default switch after accidental unsinstall,
  7. cannot delete hyper v default switch,
  8. how to prvent hyper v default swicht,
  9. windows 1709 why do i now have a hyper v nic,
  10. hyper-v permanently remove default switch,