Windows 10: Hyper-V files not being obvious use of storage

Discus and support Hyper-V files not being obvious use of storage in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Came across an odd issue today. I was about to image backup my C drive, and I noted the storage was about 20 GB higher than I expected. So I made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Aug 1, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Hyper-V files not being obvious use of storage

Came across an odd issue today. I was about to image backup my C drive, and I noted the storage was about 20 GB higher than I expected.

So I made all folders including hidden system folders visible, and tried to see where the extra 20 GB was being used.

So I used good old windirstat, and it showed storage as 20 GB less - how odd thought. I could not see where the extra 20 GB was in use. I then remembered by default windirstat does not display "unknown" folders. So I set it to show the unknown data size - hey presto my 20 GB but no more info than "unknown".

I was about to try and delete them, as the "unknown" folders are usually something like old restore points etc. So I did a disk cleanup first, but this did not change anything.

Did some googling, and it seems windirstat does not like long filenames. I installed treesize, and immediately it became clear the files were hyper-v files installed on the C drive (i had forgotten to set it to another drive as I usually do).

What I find interesting was that checking the folder sizes of all the folders in the root directory individually did not allow me to track down the culprit immediately. Indeed I am not sure I could even have navigated to them.

I then used move hyper-v vm option, and bam - my storage was recovered.

What is also interesting is when I check my E drive, the hyper-v folder size is correct.

So I guess the issue is related to how many directory levels the hyper-v files were buried on the C drive.

Just thought it was worth mention this in case you end up deleting your hyper-v files by accident.

:)

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016

2. onedrive virtual machine

Hi there,

No. You cannot use OneDrive to use a virtual machine.

Because OneDrive is not meant for it. It's an online storage for your files.

See you can use Hyper-V to create a virtual machine. Check out this article for more info =>

Create a Virtual Machine with Hyper-V

MCCshreyas, Aug 1, 2016
  3. AlexOh7 Win User
    Enabling Hyper-V after it has been disabled?

Hi, I was doing Android development on my Surface Pro 3. Use of the android emulators required hyper-v being turned off, so I turned it off. Now, I'm working on a UWP app, and use of the emulators requires hyper-v. I have enabled hyper-v in the "Turn Windows
    features on/off" tool, so it's enabled there, but it doesn't seem to be enabled elsewhere, possibly the BIOS. Problem is, there is no option in the SP3 BIOS to enable hyper-v. Windows tells me in two places (task manager, turn Win features on/off) that hyper-v
    is enabled. However, running the following script in powershell:

tells me that it is disabled. Visual Studio also tells me it is disabled.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

AlexOh7, Aug 1, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there.

@cereberus

Windows has problems with file names longer than 250 - 260 chars (this includes the directory names too).

I came up with this problem in trying to use a Windows machine as a media server -- loads of my music files weren't accessible from Windows.

However I believe with the Aug 2nd release of Windows (Anniversary edition) you can (finally !!!!) enable long file names.

Currently I'm using a Linux VM on HYPER-V for media serving -- works fine as I can pass through the Linux HDD's without re-formatting etc.

Things like treesizefree and Windirstats might need to be updated to reflect long file size display. If I need to look at these I usually do it via the Linux VM and using Dolphin look at the Windows files via SAMBA.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Yeah I suspected that was the reason. I am waitingto upgrade to RS1 today Hyper-V files not being obvious use of storage :).

med venlig hilsen.

cereberus, Aug 1, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    The default storage location for virtual machine configuration files is
    %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\VM_GUID\. As the both last level folder name and configuration file names themselves are 32 bit hexadecimal values, the path will be long.

I "shorten" it a bit by assigning Hyper-V its own drive, in my case D:. One extremely trivial and small "path shortening" tip: when you change default storage locations, for Virtual Hard Disks you have to make and select a folder, but Virtual Machines folder will be created automatically, meaning that if you for instance want that folder to be on root of a drive, you just select the drive:

Hyper-V files not being obvious use of storage [​IMG]

If you do the mistake and in settings set Virtual Machines folder creating it, you'll end up having a useless extra folder level: D:\Virtual Machines\Virtual Machines\.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hyper-V files not being obvious use of storage - Similar Threads - Hyper files being

2. Hyper V Killing server Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Killing server Storage: We are using windows server 2019 in our data center as Hyper V Host server. we have 5 guest server in Hyper V, all the hyper V data is in D drive, now we are having an issue with storage, everyday the drive increasing 5 GB and we have only 40 GB free Space. can anyone advice...
  3. Hyper V Killing server Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Killing server Storage: We are using windows server 2019 in our data center as Hyper V Host server. we have 5 guest server in Hyper V, all the hyper V data is in D drive, now we are having an issue with storage, everyday the drive increasing 5 GB and we have only 40 GB free Space. can anyone advice...
  4. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  5. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  6. Hyper-V Services Installed Despite Feature Being Disabled

Hyper-V Services Installed Despite Feature Being Disabled: Hi All, This is more of an exploratory question. I've just completed a clean fresh install of Windows 10. When checking over the services I noticed that the Hyper-V services were installed. They're all set to Manual trigger mode so they aren't running. I also haven't...
  7. Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files

Hyper-V doesn't delete checkpoint files: Is it normal for Hyper-V to not delete the original checkpoint files when the reference/restore point is deleted in the Hyper-V manager? I am just getting my feet wet in the Hyper-V realm and noticed that the AVHDX files take space on my PC even after deleting the...
  8. Nested Hyper-V using AMD Chipsets?

Nested Hyper-V using AMD Chipsets?: Anybody heard rumors about when MS might work with AMD to provide nested Hyper-V capability? They provide now only with Intel. 45553
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10: How to: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10 How to Setup and Use Hyper-V in Windows 10 for OS Virtualization [img] Information Windows 10 Pro, Education and Enterprise editions come with a built-in hypervisor client Hyper-V allowing users to create...
Tags: