Windows 10: Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Discus and support Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lx07, Sep 8, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly.

Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers, connected to internet and activated. When I boot back into host and run the VM as a guest however internet access is limited.

I am connected in the guest to the Ethernet Microsoft Hyper-V network adapter but have no internet and so the license has switched back from activated to Notification mode. I can connect to internet through the external switch on the host and connect through RDP to the guest fine.

Any ideas?

:)

lx07, Sep 8, 2015
  2. lx07 Win User

th2_release Enterprise 10586 fails

The only workaround really is to create a Hyper-V VM, attach your vhdx and then upgrade it.

You can't upgrade native boot vhdx.

lx07, Sep 8, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    th2_release Enterprise 10586 fails

It is the intended behavior according to here
    Frequently Asked Questions: Virtual Hard Disks
    "Upgrading the operating system booted from a VHD. If you boot from a VHD, you cannot upgrade the Windows version in the VHD to a newer version."

You can both native boot and run the same vhdx in hyper-v (I do). If you have 2 installs on vhdx you can use each one to update the other... Otherwise with a normal install (not vhdx) on the same hardware you can install hyper-v, create a VM using the
    existing vhdx and then upgrade it.

No idea the reason for the restriction but it has always been like that as far as I know.

lx07, Sep 8, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Problem was DNS had been lost on IP4 properties of Hyper-V adapter for some reason (I use static IP). Added it back and it is OK now. Can switch back and forward from native boot to VM and both work fine and are activated.

lx07, Sep 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX. - Similar Threads - Hyper guest internet

2. How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to boot into bootable differencing vhdx in Hyper-V: Hello, I am trying to upgrade my boot to VHD VHDX to the latest Windows 10 update using this terrific tutorial from @Kari: Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows However, I am having trouble getting the vhdx to boot in Hyper-V. Everything seems to work as...
  3. Hyper-V Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Internet Connection: I have created a virtual Android machine with Hyper-V in Windows 10. I am however unable to establish any internet connection to the Android machine. Can I somehow create some virtual cable connection between the host and the Android VM as I did before with VirtualBox and how...
  4. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  5. HYPER V LOST

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HYPER V LOST: I HAVE WINDOW 10 HOME VERSION. IT USED TO HAVE HYPER V BUT AFTER THE UPDATE THE HYPER V IS MISSING FROM MY PC. BY WHICH I AM UNABLE TO PLAY GAMESS. PLEASE HELP MA FIX IT AS SONAS POSSIBLE AND MY TOURNAMENT IS GOING TO BE HELD SOON....
  6. DirectAccess breaks when connecting to a Hyper-V guest console

in Windows 10 Customization
    DirectAccess breaks when connecting to a Hyper-V guest console: I have created a Nat_Switch for Windows 10 using this guide https://anandthearchitect.com/2018/01/06/windows-10-how-to-setup-nat-network-for-hyper-v-guests/ Prior to that, i had a second nic set set to a dedicated switch for my guests. I was asked to try using the Win 10 Nat...
  7. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  8. Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest

Hyper-V: Lost Communication during install XPMode in Windows 7 guest: When first time installing XPmode in a Windows 7 guest hosted by Hyper V on my Windows 10, the installation freezes and Hyper-V Manager says: Communication Lost. This happens a lillle time after step 10 of this guide is started : Windows XP Mode - Install and Setup -...
  9. Hyper-V Connection Lost

Hyper-V Connection Lost: I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm getting quite often is the following: "The connection was lost because another user connected to the virtual machine." There...
  10. Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx

Can't native boot Hyper-V generation 2 vhdx: If I create a generation 1 VM I can native boot the vhdx by adding bcd entry. If I make a generation 2 VM it fails with "a required device isn't connected...0xc0000225". Pressing f8 for "Startup Settings" gives "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a...
Tags: